• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Splatoon Splatoon 3 Pre-Release Squid Research

Holla

Salmon Run Survivalist
Yoshi's Islanders
Bells
Golden Salmonid Egg
Golden Salmonid Egg
Golden Salmonid Egg
Golden Salmonid Egg
Golden Salmonid Egg
Turquoise Squid Easter Egg
523DAD14-47A0-4A1E-80D5-0BB58D91DA55.jpeg

Hello there squids, kids and octos alike! If you are here that means you’ve likely already heard the splatastic news that Splatoon 3 is officially coming to the Nintendo Switch in 2022! Booyah! Please feel free to spread your hype over in this thread.

Now, if you want the latest up to date* news on the new game look no further than right here. I will do my best to update this post with the latest Splatoon 3 news as we anticipate its launch sometime next year.

*of course I am a rather busy squidkid so I might be behind at times with new updates so I apologize in advance. Though feel free to link any sources to new news when I’m behind as it’ll make updating the first post much easier for when I return.

First thing’s first. Below we have the Nintendo Direct Trailer that first announced the game on Feb 17, 2021.

Below you will find new research/announcements within this post and the posts below.
Here’s the link to the tweets themselves.

1349F47D-7A8F-49E1-8B86-D9F11A88394F.jpeg
6E61EAED-D5CE-4422-87E1-54CB003A1C3B.jpeg
E8562D4E-51A1-4638-8D5C-7347A66DDE07.jpeg
822F3871-7ECB-4AA2-B707-14607370CA2E.jpeg
E94EFED6-F401-462D-B627-854935E36219.jpeg
B4C7D4C3-FACF-4B9B-AB65-59CA0520281E.jpeg
24956746-46F8-4945-BE9A-64E6D5AF2C09.jpeg
C3725ABF-4570-4538-B59A-9A6BFC3DB00B.jpeg
E4A01626-92E6-4C12-9A84-B87CDD6B09DA.jpeg
1F3D48EB-DD1B-480C-B4B1-1B01C1A04154.jpeg
630E6F68-797D-4B67-B87F-C208B282BE1A.jpeg
0D76ABED-69CE-4F19-B71E-5C99A936B076.jpeg

Last edited:
Another new trailer during the February 9th 2022 Nintendo Direct. This time featuring info about the returning Salmon Run mode. Also a slightly more specific release date stating this summer. Check it out below:

New trailer and finally a specific release date for the game were released on April 22nd 2022. The release date is now officially on September 9th 2022. Woomy! Check out the latest trailer below:

Last edited:
Added the most recent trailer shown in yesterday’s Nintendo Direct to post #2

Dang, definitely a lack of Splatoon discussion on this forum. I'll be perfectly honest though, I love the Splatoon games but I think it's way too soon for this third one. I am kind of tired of the urban scenery they keep going with for the hub and multiplayer maps. I was really hoping they would go with something a little more... nice to look at. I do like the new abilities I'm seeing though and the story scenery looks nice. One major change I'm hoping they do with this one is A. No forced announcements every time you log in and B. No rotational maps/modes or locking certain modes to ranked only. These are a couple of things I felt held Splatoon 2 back from its full potential. I'd like to also see new co-op modes like how Splatoon 2 introduced Salmon Run which was a great challenge.

Dang, definitely a lack of Splatoon discussion on this forum. I'll be perfectly honest though, I love the Splatoon games but I think it's way too soon for this third one. I am kind of tired of the urban scenery they keep going with for the hub and multiplayer maps. I was really hoping they would go with something a little more... nice to look at. I do like the new abilities I'm seeing though and the story scenery looks nice. One major change I'm hoping they do with this one is A. No forced announcements every time you log in and B. No rotational maps/modes or locking certain modes to ranked only. These are a couple of things I felt held Splatoon 2 back from its full potential. I'd like to also see new co-op modes like how Splatoon 2 introduced Salmon Run which was a great challenge.

I don’t mind the urban scenery, but otherwise totally agree with you on everything else.

I wasn’t expecting a Splatoon 3 at all anytime soon especially not on the Switch, so when it was first revealed back in February I was 100% caught off guard. I do look forward to it though.

The announcements really do need to be made better. They tried to make them better in Splatoon 2 by not forcing them on you at every stage change unless Salmon Run was starting or some other special news. Which was a welcome change but the login is actually worse than it was in Splatoon 1. As in Splatoon 1 there were less modes/maps to be shown (just regular and ranked) so you could actually mash through it quicker than you can in Splatoon 2 (which has regular, ranked, league and salmon run).

Ugh… Ranked modes. I actually really enjoy the gameplay of them, but almost never play them as I don’t like the added stress of my rank increasing/decreasing. That and I’m more of a casual player so it would be nice to play those modes with other more casual players. Also making a ranked turf war mode for the hardcore players would help cut down on some of the top tier players destroying everyone in the regular mode. Sure it would still happen sometimes but would happen less if there was a ranked version of it for them to play.

Map rotation does need to go. Why can’t we pick maps like we can pick tracks in Mario Kart? I go back to play Splatoon 1 from time to time but it’s annoying when I want to play maps that aren’t in Splatoon 2 but they aren’t in the current rotation anyways.

Salmon Run was one of the best parts of Splatoon 2 so I also hope it returns revamped and/or some new fun co-op modes to play.

Super psyched for Splatoon 3! 😆

I'm very curious about the emergence of mammals into the world and how they all will look. I'm also curious if Salmon Run gets replaced with something involving the mammalians since we have a cute small fry buddy this game. (Were we poaching for future pet trade in SR? It wasn't clear to me why we were stealing their eggs.) Salmon Run was dope though, and I hope it is in the upcoming game or something just as fun is!

Also, I'm excited to see if Off The Hook returns this game and in what capacity. ... Are Marie and Callie officially the same default color now? 😯

as a big nerd that missed out on the original and picked up the second game after the "final" fest, I do not think it's too soon for a third title ngl

love sploon, so excited for 3. unsure I can see Salmon Run returning, though. definitely would not mind if all modes had a ranked and not ranked option when playing.
if maps have to rotate, they need to make it at least 4 per rotation. 2 is not enough.

Splatoon 3 *PHYSICAL VERSION* is up for pre-order at Amazon, BestBuy, Target, and Gamestop!
Gamestop has digital codes up for preorder too!

Since I was on vacation I forgot to add the new video from last month's direct. It's now been added to post #3. :)

I am super excited to see the return of Salmon Run.

i'm super curious about little buddy :ROFLMAO: how are we okay with splatting a ton of their relatives (?) but they are our new sidekick?

can't wait to play against the new salmonid bosses B)

Back