• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Save data corrupted, just went missing

Alright, I wasn't sure which time zone, so that's 6 AM pacific time then.

Ok, a friend came up with another thing just now. My mom has the Nintendo Switch Online app, and so the ACNH functions there too, where you can see your villagers and so on. Wanted to check if that still shows her "old" island. Nope. It's not there. It's as if she had a new island. It says "in the title menu press minus to go to the setting and set up NookLink"

Alright, I wasn't sure which time zone, so that's 6 AM pacific time then.

Ok, a friend came up with another thing just now. My mom has the Nintendo Switch Online app, and so the ACNH functions there too, where you can see your villagers and so on. Wanted to check if that still shows her "old" island. Nope. It's not there. It's as if she had a new island. It says "in the title menu press minus to go to the setting and set up NookLink"
Does she have a dream address? If so could be worth seeing if it's still active

Does she have a dream address? If so could be worth seeing if it's still active
I was trying to find it, but I noticed that you can't search dream islands by name anymore. Which you could do in ACNL. That's stupid they removed that. Maybe she wrote it down on a paper, I'll have to look. Is there any other location in the game where you can see other's dream adresses?

I was trying to find it, but I noticed that you can't search dream islands by name anymore. Which you could do in ACNL. That's stupid they removed that. Maybe she wrote it down on a paper, I'll have to look. Is there any other location in the game where you can see other's dream adresses?
If she's taken any screen shots of her map, it could be written on there

Well, I can't change the Account Region to America. It says it can't change the region because of the current automatic renewal options.
I have no idea how to turn those off, without having to select a credit card, which I don't have.

So I still contacted Nintendo of America, and they said they couldn't help as well. I entered my real name and data and so on, and my german phone number, which was required, and in the chat the customer support said:

I'm sorry, but we can only offer support to consumers who live in the Americas. For assistance in your own region, please visit our region selector page on our website. Here's a direct link:

If you do not find your country on that page, it means Nintendo likely does not distribute there. I can only suggest contacting the retailer where you purchased the product for assistance.

So. I guess this means it's time to accept that the island simply is GONE like that and can't be restored for whatever reasons.
Now should I retry with somehow getting a credit card, messing with the automatic renewal options, then changing the region and trying to contact the customer service again afterwards or just start on her new island?

@Bilaz Maybe you can help me out here again?

Ahhhh hmmm
I’m not sure how important auto renewal is for you as I don’t have auto renewal set up. Could you perhaps temporarily disable it? I think it’s being finicky about account region because nintendo America can’t charge you with your current payment settings in a set time. So maybe if you just turn off the automatic payments you can change it? I can confirm however that if you’ve changed your account region they won’t be able to tell you’re not actually in the USA

Okay, I figured it out. I had to void my existing money on the account but it wasn't much so it was ok.
I then contacted Nintendo of America's support. They were taking it more serious than the previous people, but they also couldn't find a backup in their database. The person did some troubleshoot with me to potentially remove and corrupted data (also from other games) in my moms console but that's all. It took some time too. But unfortunately, her island is gone.

The last thing the person offered was, if I was to send in the console for repair, but he couldn't promise if that would bring back the sava data, so I just said "I'll come back after thinking about it".

VERY SAD. I'm gonna probably try and rebuild her island together (would love some help from others, I already started gathering wood for her and so on)

And I couldn't find any screenshots of her map, it's unfortunate, I used to take a lot of screenshots of other people's islands but somehow don't have much useful ones from my mom's island.

I'm just curious how there was also not an active save file on her cloud? Strange. I also told the feedback team to look into potentially game breaking bugs that can be caused by saving. I saw while researching for this on a reddit post, a user posting something that they had their save game corrupt after saving in the art section of the museum as well! So I reported for them to look into that.

I've just recently transferred my data to a new switch - and the switches screen bugged up not long afterwards. some kind of manufacturing error. It took me dang ages to talk to a real person because their internet repair booking service borked up on me. Now I've got the repair booked, I'm terrified that they'll delete my data during the repair, even after I've told them not to. I've heard stories. Nintendo's customer service has tanked in recent years, I feel ya bro.

I'm so sorry to hear the island is gone :/ I'm sorry I couldn't help more. Did she enable island backup? That's the only thing I can think of that could have gone wrong :/

I'm so sorry to hear the island is gone :/ I'm sorry I couldn't help more. Did she enable island backup? That's the only thing I can think of that could have gone wrong :/
Not 100% sure it was enabled but ever since my switch broke and it recovered my island I kept reminding her to turn it on so I am pretty sure she did that at one point.

Yes I can't explain how sad I feel. I still have some screenshots from her island. We want to rebuild that stuff soon. But first she has to obtain everything to get a 3 star island.
Right now she just started the island and skipped a day to get the airport. If anyone wants to help here's a dodo: D3FJK

It's just unacceptable how now we have to deal with save data disappearing *just like that*- she did nothing wrong that would have caused this, it's just a fail on Nintendo's part. So upset.

Yes I can't explain how sad I feel. I still have some screenshots from her island. We want to rebuild that stuff soon. But first she has to obtain everything to get a 3 star island.
Right now she just started the island and skipped a day to get the airport. If anyone wants to help here's a dodo: D3FJK

It's just unacceptable how now we have to deal with save data disappearing *just like that*- she did nothing wrong that would have caused this, it's just a fail on Nintendo's part. So upset.
Will be one route soon
How long are her gates open for?

dang that totally sucks. its so ridiculous that Nintendo isn't helping you out more. like we paid so much money for the game + monthly online services, you'd think the least they can do is offer back up data that actually works. I skimmed the thread and wanted to make sure that you did end up getting a hold of the North American Nintendo customer support people? I remember reading that they initially turned you down because you had German contact information, let me know if I can provide anything that can help with that (I live in the US).

Either way, I'd love to come over and drop off a bunch of extra DIY's I have! It'll take me a moment to boot up the game and gather the items but I'll be over asap.

Back