• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Potential issue with game - character slowing when walking fast.

Lyndsy

Bells
Occasionally I have noticed when walking around my island at the ‘normal’ pace that I suddenly slow right down for a second then speed up again, it seems really glitchy!

I would just like to know if anyone else has experienced this? or if this could be an issue with my switch lite...

Might have something to do with joycon drift.

Haven't experienced this yet... although I have found that my joy con sometimes disconnects when my switched is docked, which is very annoying when I am fishing!

Might have something to do with joycon drift.

I also believe it is this. I have one joycon here that has some pretty bad drift at times and I've only experienced the slower walk thing happening when I'm playing with that particular controller, so I always attributed it with that. Sometimes when the drift gets too bad and I'm done "toughing it out" with that joycon, I'll switch to my other set and there's no issues then

Are you using JoyCons or a Pro Controller? I am using a Pro Controller and have not experienced this, so I am thinking it is JoyCon drift.

I have the same problem but I have the ACNH Switch so it's new... I don't know if it's the game or the switch... :c

Are you using JoyCons or a Pro Controller? I am using a Pro Controller and have not experienced this, so I am thinking it is JoyCon drift.

I have a switch lite, I’ve calibrated the controls a bunch of times but this doesn’t seem to be an issue as the test responds well and looking at YouTube videos others have it a lot worse.

I can put up with it for now as it isn’t horrendously bad, it’s really unfortunate as the data isn’t transferable and it does not back up via the cloud.. so a new console is pointless!

:(

i thought i was the only one omg - this has been happening to me too

my bf and i were having this issue with the joycons that came with the switch. we bought a separate pair and those are still working fine. went to target to get another set of joycons and the employee said it was actually a common issue people were having with the joycons that came with the switch. its extremely annoying. thanks, nintendo

I have a switch lite, I’ve calibrated the controls a bunch of times but this doesn’t seem to be an issue as the test responds well and looking at YouTube videos others have it a lot worse.

I can put up with it for now as it isn’t horrendously bad, it’s really unfortunate as the data isn’t transferable and it does not back up via the cloud.. so a new console is pointless!

:(

Switch Lite has the same control sticks and the JoyCons do, so Lite CAN get drift issues.

Update: It got worse and so I ended up sending it in for repair. Like others mentioned more to do with the console itself, such a shame.

So I am using a Pro Controller and this is happening to me too... I don't know what to do about it.

I started suddenly having a weird issue where I'll start walking endlessly in one direction when I'm standing still, and it won't stop until I start controlling the direction I'm walking. I guess it's an issue with my console somehow, but this just started happening the past couple of days and I'm not sure how to fix it.

That would be joycon drift that you are experiencing. Sorry to hear that you also have become effected by this!

I started suddenly having a weird issue where I'll start walking endlessly in one direction when I'm standing still, and it won't stop until I start controlling the direction I'm walking. I guess it's an issue with my console somehow, but this just started happening the past couple of days and I'm not sure how to fix it.
That's Joycon-drift. it's caused by 'over'use. Sorry to hear you're affected, especially in this pandemic where money, and overall anything, have become scarce.

That's Joycon-drift. it's caused by 'over'use. Sorry to hear you're affected, especially in this pandemic where money, and overall anything, have become scarce.
Ah yeah thank you for replying. I didn't know what that was or what caused it until after reading this thread. It definitely occurred to me that repairs probably aren't happening right now with covid 19. Maybe I could buy another switch but it would suck to have to restart my island and lose everything in it. It doesn't ruin my gameplay so I could probably just go on as is, it's just started to be pretty annoying.

Ah yeah thank you for replying. I didn't know what that was or what caused it until after reading this thread. It definitely occurred to me that repairs probably aren't happening right now with covid 19. Maybe I could buy another switch but it would suck to have to restart my island and lose everything in it. It doesn't ruin my gameplay so I could probably just go on as is, it's just started to be pretty annoying.
You would just have to buy new joycons, not an entire new switch. Can't you just pair new ones with the system? (I'm a new switch owner so correct me if I'm wrong)

Unless you're on a switch lite, chances are you could just buy joy-cons or a pro controller but they have become scarce due to covid19, so...

Back