• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Personality Subtypes - The Details

It still could have been worded better, something like: "Even if they share a personality, each villager comes with their own set of styles, hobbies, and stories to tell."

Saying "two sub-types" implies they act differently when this mostly affects high friendship dialog, although I suppose there is a correlation between hobbies and the personality subt-ype for villagers.
I agree they could have worded it better, definitely. Your way sounds much better, especially for a companion guide. The way it's worded honestly sounds like the person writing it didn't have a clear understanding of what the subtypes actually were (and subtype is such a weird word to use). Hopefully this information can circulate around the internet enough that everyone who's read the guide book can finally learn what it actually refers to.

Peppy B is also able to have the Fitness interest - not listed here. I would contact them, but you’re probably in touch.

Yeah, Rosie and Tangy are A and B and both like Music. Unless I'm misunderstanding some wording in the explanation at some point or another!

Hmm.. O'Hare is subtype A but he hasn't said anything from subtype A and only stuff from subtype B. Same with Raymond. Not sure about Marshal tho. I'm confused

Hmm.. O'Hare is subtype A but he hasn't said anything from subtype A and only stuff from subtype B. Same with Raymond. Not sure about Marshal tho. I'm confused
Are they subtype 0 saying B dialogue? That's normal.

Huh, I checked out the dialogues and my Jocks from subtype B have MOST DEFINITELY said things from subtype A. (Sparro had a dream about fractal abs, to be precise.)

Edit: I might have just looked under the wrong dialogue tree, I'm not even sure anymore...

Last edited:
Can someone let me know if I'm misunderstanding something? I checked the linked spreadsheet in OP's edit--the one by Stoney on Discord--so that I could see which uchi type Reneigh was, and it says she's subtype B. It also only lists 4 villagers under uchi A so I thought "aw man, there are so few A-type uchis and I don't think I like any of them... might as well just read what their special dialogue is" so I went to the linked webpage with all the dialogue, and navigated to TalkNNpc/G4_An/Free/AN_FreeA_AlwaysA. Which... just showed me dialogue that I've definitely gotten from Reneigh several times. And then the dialogue under FreeA_AlwaysB is stuff I've definitely never heard her say. I also found that the same thing applies to Punchy and Chief: they're listed as a lazy A and cranky A respectively but when I check the FreeA_AlwaysA sections for their personalities they've definitely never given me any of that dialogue, but I often get the dialogue that appears under FreeA_AlwaysB from them. I can't tell if I've misread or misunderstood something somewhere.

Last edited:
im way too dumb to understand whats going on lol

Hey, thanks for all this information! It's great to know that there are differences even between villagers of the same personality type.

Like a couple of others above, I'm a bit confused about the dialogue tree. I have a video of Sherb (Lazy Type B / _33af13e1 boolean
0) saying something from BO_FreeA_AlwaysA. I've also experienced Dom (Jock Type B / _33af13e1 boolean 0) saying something from HA_FreeA_AlwaysA, but I don't have that recorded. Is it possible that the types were swapped (and boolean 0 = A instead of boolean 0 = B)?

Last edited:
The subtypes themselves only effect the dialogue. Stoney (read link above) points out that Cranky A villagers are exclusively Education or Music while the Cranky B villagers are exclusively Nature, for instance, so the subtypes will fall into one or two hobbies as well. They *are* separate, though, with cross-over between the personality types- and they effect totally different things (overworld actions vs dialogue)- so please don't confuse them.

99% of dialogue between the subtypes are completely the same. Please follow the instructions in the OP to view the specific dialogue.

Punchy is Lazy-A and Apple is Peppy-B, and both have the interest Play. Music types have the greatest chance of singing.

Thank you for spelling it out like this, I was having issues parsing the source info, but the way you put it here I think it finally makes sense to me.

So the NmlNpcParam spreadsheet shows Rodeo the lazy with a fitness interest, but the Personality Subtypes google doc shows him as a Lazy B who will be into education or play. Trying to understand the discrepancy.

Hey, thanks for all this information! It's great to know that there are differences even between villagers of the same personality type.

Like a couple of others above, I'm a bit confused about the dialogue tree. I have a video of Sherb (Lazy Type B / _33af13e1 boolean
0) saying something from BO_FreeA_AlwaysA. I've also experienced Dom (Jock Type B / _33af13e1 boolean 0) saying something from HA_FreeA_AlwaysA, but I don't have that recorded. Is it possible that the types were swapped (and boolean 0 = A instead of boolean 0 = B)?
Hey! I'm one of the people who brought up being confused about this and actually, I think this might have been the case for at least some of them? Because I looked again and I noticed that, to quote my own post:

so that I could see which uchi type Reneigh was, and it says she's subtype B. It also only lists 4 villagers under uchi A so I thought "aw man, there are so few A-type uchis and I don't think I like any of them... might as well just read what their special dialogue is" so I went to the linked webpage with all the dialogue, and navigated to TalkNNpc/G4_An/Free/AN_FreeA_AlwaysA. Which... just showed me dialogue that I've definitely gotten from Reneigh several times. And then the dialogue under FreeA_AlwaysB is stuff I've definitely never heard her say. I also found that the same thing applies to Punchy and Chief: they're listed as a lazy A and cranky A respectively but when I check the FreeA_AlwaysA sections for their personalities they've definitely never given me any of that dialogue, but I often get the dialogue that appears under FreeA_AlwaysB from them.

None of this is correct anymore! Reneigh is now listed as uchi A, and it's the uchi B section that only has 4 villagers under it. When I go and look at the FreeA_AlwaysA section, it does have the dialogue I've gotten from Reneigh. Punchy and Chief are also now listed as lazy B and cranky B respectively. I also checked my other villagers and I'm not sure about my smug, peppy, or normals as I don't know if I've ever gotten the subtype-specific dialogue from them at all, but all the others seem to match! So yep, I think there was just a mixup somewhere as you suspected.

Gotta say though, it makes me kinda sad how lopsided some of these categories are--only 5 villagers are smug B? I guess it's lucky for a lot of people that one of them is Raymond lol. But then only 4 uchi B, and coincidentally all of them are very unpopular and aren't even really liked by me, someone who loves uchis :( And it looks like pretty much every personality is lopsided like this. That's not the fault of anyone who did the datamining obviously and I'm grateful to those who did! It's just that I wish the subtypes were more even as the way it currently is might make it hard for people wanna experience both of them. Ah well, maybe if we get the sanrio/nintendo collab villagers back or even get more new villagers down the line things will be evened out a bit more.

Hey! I'm one of the people who brought up being confused about this and actually, I think this might have been the case for at least some of them? Because I looked again and I noticed that, to quote my own post:

[...]

None of this is correct anymore! Reneigh is now listed as uchi A, and it's the uchi B section that only has 4 villagers under it. When I go and look at the FreeA_AlwaysA section, it does have the dialogue I've gotten from Reneigh. Punchy and Chief are also now listed as lazy B and cranky B respectively. I also checked my other villagers and I'm not sure about my smug, peppy, or normals as I don't know if I've ever gotten the subtype-specific dialogue from them at all, but all the others seem to match! So yep, I think there was just a mixup somewhere as you suspected.

Thanks for checking back and pointing that out! Glad it's been sorted out now, and thanks to the dataminers and all the people that are making sense of the info and explaining it to everyone else!

It is interesting how the split A/B in some personalities is reaaally uneven. It can be pretty unfortunate for the smaller personality groups such as uchi (and smug, to a lesser extent). I'm curious if it was intentional that one subtype would be more "rare" than the other, but it's at least comforting to know that it won't make a huge difference!

Yeah it’s all confusing. I feel like Tipper said the same stuff Judy and Blanche said, but Kitty says entirely different stuff. I feel she is more education and career focused and the others were fashion.

Back