• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo to pay former Sony employee $30.2million for infringement on glasses-free 3D

VillageDweller

tired eternal
Bells
Spring Sakura
Dreamy Easter Egg
Spring Sakura
Nightmare Easter Egg
Spring Sakura
Mango
Perfect Cherry
Perfect Orange
Banana
Perfect Apple
Nintendo has been told to pay a former Sony employee a whopping $30.2 million in damages due to an infringement over glasses-free 3D technology by a New York federal jury. Seijiro Tomita, who had previously spent 30 years at Sony, sued Nintendo in 2011 for infringing his glasses-free 3D tech. Tomita told the jury that he had met Nintendo back in 2003 to discuss the technology. The jury found Nintendo in the wrong and dished out the $30.2 million to Tomita as compensatory damages.

So, any thoughts?

If Sony made the 3DS, there would be nothing good on it. Sony needs to take their loss and give Nintendo their money back :c

If it was my idea and someone stole it and made millions off it, I would want to be reimbursed as well.

Nothing bothers me more than stealing, even ideas.

Seeing as (from what I know) Nintendo was the only company to publish this technology, I don't find them in the wrong. Technology shouldn't be something that only some companies can make. If Sony wants to come out with their own glasses free technology they should be free to do so.

If its an idea, its usually not protected by copyright laws until its published. That's just how it works. I'd hate to have my ideas stolen too but that happens all the time.

I'm surprised they actually went in favor of this guy, considering (to my knowledge) Sony hasn't used the glasses free 3D yet. But who knows, maybe Nintendo stealing his idea is the reason behind that. A lawsuit isn't something that happens overnight. It takes a while to gather evidence, papers, and things of that sort to have a case. On top of that you gotta find lawyers who will actually take your case.

Could be the 3DS was revealed, and it took the guy a while to get all this together for a lawsuit. And Sony wouldn't have been able to use his idea, as Nintendo would have likely sued them on the grounds they'd done it first!

Of course that's just a guess on my part. I have no idea how this stuff works.

Also don't hate on Sony, Lovemcqueen. |: They have really great games if you actually look through their library.

It does say "former" Sony employee, so I hope you guys don't start blaming Sony on this. It was just this one employee and his small tech company I believe. Lol besides, this is probably pocket money to Nintendo :p.

And what Berri stated above me, Sony has great games as well. I am a huge playstation guy. For there home consoles at least. Nintendo 3DS is where I do my portable gaming.

It does say "former" Sony employee, so I hope you guys don't start blaming Sony on this. It was just this one employee and his small tech company I believe. Lol besides, this is probably pocket money to Nintendo :p.

And what Berri stated above me, Sony has great games as well. I am a huge playstation guy. For there home consoles at least. Nintendo 3DS is where I do my portable gaming.

I was scrolling through the replies just now and I was thinking, as well, this isn't Sony's lawsuit. Even if this guy still worked at Sony, this is his lawsuit. Also agreeing Berri, this case could have been kept under wraps for a while until recently. Also this guy may have been starting to work on Sony glasses free 3D but worried his idea would be stolen again as he saw the 3ds.

Sony sue everyone! They did it to lg was it about blueray?

It was actually the other way around. LG sued Sony. LG lost though, and I'm pretty sure LG was just looking for some money most likely. It was a dumb case. Companies being greedy pretty much.

See this.

"Nintendo's defence attorney Scott Lindvall stated that there were in fact several companies with similar patents, and that Nintendo met with several of them."

Why didn't Seijiro Tomita sue the other companies?

Then this

Wait, if his patent application was pending, then how did he win? I find this suspicious.

Sounds like someone is upset that someone else beat them to the punch. Boo flipping hoo, someone used your idea. Like that's never, ever happened in the world before.

People are ridiculous.

Sounds like someone is upset that someone else beat them to the punch. Boo flipping hoo, someone used your idea. Like that's never, ever happened in the world before.

People are ridiculous.

Well, if his application was pending at the time, then I honestly don't understand how the guy could have won the court case. It was pending. He didn't own the patent at the time, therefore, there's no real reason he should have gotten this money.

In the end, Nintendo jumped on the idea before sony did and they're butthurt about it.

Back