• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Nintendo is being too slow on the updates (Real Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm too lazy to read all the posts, so what I might have to say now MIGHT have been said before by someone else.

First of all, people who are defending the game and Nintendo by saying what we have now is fine... Just no. Stop. New Horizons is not fine where it is now and its been 1 year. Not even a big anniversary update happened. Do you guys know how much New Horizons have sold as a game? This is not acceptable how slow the updates are rolling in. If you are fine with this it means:

1. You are either new to Animal Crossing and never played the older games with so much more furniture and content.

2. You think complaining is too ENTITLED of us to be demanding necessary change to a bare bones game.

Listen, I love New Horizons, and I have a playtime of almost 1,950 hours into the game but... New Horizons seriously needs more (big) updates every month. I understand that the developers of Animal Crossing is also the team behind Splatoon, so they want to go with the formula of giving little content every month, but its getting to a point where this is just frustrating. Pocket Camp is getting so much more content and that's a darn mobile game. Yes, I'm salty. But as someone who have played the older games I just feel like they hold more value in quality. No, it's not nostalgia or being sentimental.

Basically New Horizons is the Pokémon Sword/Shield of Animal Crossing. The whole "National Dex" cut. Or in other words: they removed a lot of old content for no reason.

I'm almost famous in this forum for saying this, but I would gladly pay for paid DLC because I just want more than what we have.
*claps*

I'm not a fan of paid DLC, especially for content we should have had to begin with but I feel your frustration.

If you are fine with this it means:

1. You are either new to Animal Crossing and never played the older games with so much more furniture and content.

2. You think complaining is too ENTITLED of us to be demanding necessary change to a bare bones game.
Or 3) you are honestly very happy and satisfied with the game.

I mean seriously, how anyone can put over 1000 hours into a game and then call it bare bones is beyond me.
You got over 1000 hours of content that you say you loved. That is so far from bare bones that to call it that... yeah it is entitled crying

Or 3) you are honestly very happy and satisfied with the game.

I mean seriously, how anyone can put over 1000 hours into a game and then call it bare bones is beyond me.
You got over 1000 hours of content that you say you loved. That is so far from bare bones that to call it that... yeah it is entitled crying
I know that by me having +1000 hours and crying about the game being boring and bare bones is very ironic itself yes, but hey to be fair: Covid happened and I play a lot of online with friends so the hours kept adding up haha. However that doesn't mean we don't have the right to not complain for the lack of previous content that should have been in this game.
Post automatically merged:

*claps*

I'm not a fan of paid DLC, especially for content we should have had to begin with but I feel your frustration.
Well, neither am I but I feel like they must have removed it all for a reason then, no? It feels stupid to pay for things that have been in all the older games but... Here we are.

I suppose what would be justified is if they gave all that back, with all pocket camp items, and then new things as well. Be that from furniture to new hairstyles and eyes and more. Then yes, paid DLC is fine in those standards.

However that doesn't mean we don't have the right to not complain for the lack of previous content that should have been in this game.
Its debatable if it should have been in the game or not. Personally I dont care about most of it and some of the things I don't want back at all (gyroids and luck)

I honestly think the game is great as it is and the best in the series by a large margin.
Its not my first animal crossing game. I played every entry before it came out. I still prefer this one.

I dont think the game is bare bones. I have nearly 1000 hours on it.

I probably wouldn't have replied to you at all if you didn't try to imply that there is something wrong with those who actually are happy with the game, or that they couldn't possibly have been a fan of the series before it came out.

I probably wouldn't have replied to you at all if you didn't try to imply that there is something wrong with those who actually are happy with the game, or that they couldn't possibly have been a fan of the series before it came out.

I agree with this completely. It was completely arrogant and misguided of Living Fossil to imply that, since I also played every Animal Crossing game (starting with Wild World, but I also played the GameCube version a crapload), and I find each installment has their own charm. I myself am currently enjoying New Horizons. I have logged nearly 2,200 hours into the game. I don't think I am messed up or CRAZY in the head to find this game VERY enjoyable.

It's like saying, "If you find this new Jet fighter exciting, then you are either a BRAND new freaking pilot or crazy because this Jet fighter has barely any new features and whatnot" to a group of jet fighter enthusiasts, because while some might agree with you that said jet fighter is lacking in some key features, there will be a large group of veteran pilots that will enjoy that new jet fighter despite what it lacks. You can't just group ALL veterans of whatever into two big groups or you will risk alienating yourself, and making yourself look arrogant and rude.

Also I don't think people who "complain" are being entitled (some are, some aren't, and then there are others that might just complain because they see other people doing it,) so I don't fall into that camp either.. So... Living Fossil, where do I fall? Are my feelings toward this INVALID because I am a veteran who doesn't share your thoughts of this game? Are you literally going to tell me and other veterans who enjoy this game, that our feelings are invalid? Because it sounds like you BELIEVE our feelings are invalid or we all collectively think you are entitled. Which I in the very least don't think you are being entitled. Nor do I find this game boring, and I am a veteran to the series.

I know that by me having +1000 hours and crying about the game being boring and bare bones is very ironic itself yes, but hey to be fair: Covid happened and I play a lot of online with friends so the hours kept adding up haha. However that doesn't mean we don't have the right to not complain for the lack of previous content that should have been in this game.

Well, neither am I but I feel like they must have removed it all for a reason then, no? It feels stupid to pay for things that have been in all the older games but... Here we are.

I suppose what would be justified is if they gave all that back, with all pocket camp items, and then new things as well. Be that from furniture to new hairstyles and eyes and more. Then yes, paid DLC is fine in those standards.
Hang on. "... lack of previous content that should have been in this game."

Should have been in this game according to who exactly? You?

I'll say it again. Nintendo does not have to change their plans with their game that they created because you think it should be more like previous titles. You can complain all you want, but there is zero basis for the statement that ANYTHING "should" have been in the game.

I don't think the problem is that the updates are coming out too slow. I think there are a couple of other problems. One being a lack of transparency. Announcements are coming too slowly, or maybe too late. They announce something a week before they put it out. It would be better, in my opinion, to make the announcement a few weeks out so we know what they're working on getting to us. The other problem, from what I can see, is this perception that just because there was X Y and Z in previous titles means that it's illogical for it to not have been in this game regardless of the fact that we have other, new gameplay that was not in any of the previous titles.

You know, if you think this is all so easy, please. Make your own game and show us how simple it is! I would absolutely love to see it!

I think one of the main issues is that New Horizons was a huge step up from any of the previous titles and while the overall game may be a big step up, some of the features remained similar to previous games instead of stepping up too. For example, with the addition of being able to decorate the outside in New Horizons, you would expect much more furniture in NH, but it almost seems as if the amount of furniture is similar to New Leaf. Another example is events and extra features. Since NH seem like a much bigger AC title than previous games in the series you would also think there would be more events and new features, but instead it has once again remained the same or less than New Leaf, such as not having places like a cafe yet. I also think another issue is that while New Horizons is a huge game in the AC series, they seem to role out new features too slowly that you would expect to have in the game very close to release.

Huh? Okay so I guess my hours in New Leaf are just out the window, I guess.

I'm too lazy to read all the posts, so what I might have to say now MIGHT have been said before by someone else.

First of all, people who are defending the game and Nintendo by saying what we have now is fine... Just no. Stop. New Horizons is not fine where it is now and its been 1 year. Not even a big anniversary update happened. Do you guys know how much New Horizons have sold as a game? This is not acceptable how slow the updates are rolling in. If you are fine with this it means:

Listen, I love New Horizons, and I have a playtime of almost 1,950 hours into the game but... New Horizons seriously needs more (big) updates every month. I understand that the developers of Animal Crossing is also the team behind Splatoon, so they want to go with the formula of giving little content every month, but its getting to a point where this is just frustrating. Pocket Camp is getting so much more content and that's a darn mobile game. Yes, I'm salty. But as someone who have played the older games I just feel like they hold more value in quality. No, it's not nostalgia or being sentimental.

Basically New Horizons is the Pokémon Sword/Shield of Animal Crossing. The whole "National Dex" cut. Or in other words: they removed a lot of old content for no reason.

I'm almost famous in this forum for saying this, but I would gladly pay for paid DLC because I just want more than what we have.

Hi, as a new player to the AC franchise I would like to add to the rest of responses to this that in no way do I agree that my opinion about the game and it’s relative merits is invalidated.

I have played the game under discussion and am also able to use the internet and see what existed in previous games. My opinion on whether ACNH is fun to me in no way requires me to have some sort of years long CV of animal crossing experience.

yes, I realize fully that there are furniture and characters from previous not included ACNH, but we are all entitled to our own opinions on whether that is a lack. And how significant it is (and love and sympathy to those who do miss things but allow others to have opinions)

i don’t think it is really worth going into it too more with you. But stating that your own personal opinions are fact and invalidating the opinions of those who don’t agree with you is just out of line in my opinion. I’ve never called anyone entitled, I’ve never said people can’t complain or hold whatever opinion they want, so please do the rest of us the same courtesy.

I do not appreciate gatekeeping of my right to have opinions about this game.

Also personally, New Horizons is MILES ahead of Pokemon. At least they have new additions, animations and graphics to back up what was cut. The two are not comparable in the slightest. Not to mention a ton of free updates for returning content vs. Pokemon's $40 DLC model for returning content (and it's not even all the Pokemon soooooooo).

I do not appreciate gatekeeping of my right to have opinions about this game.
This, this, this, this, this, this.

Last edited:

I mean I've been playing since the GameCube and I adore NH soooo.

While I do think NH is missing some things I personally would like to see, there is absolutely no obligation for them to be put in, and I accept that. The game is not bare bones by any stretch, and this was actually addressed in the latest TBT Direct.

Telling people who enjoy the game to "stop," "just no" to defending our opinions, and that the updates (or lack of) are unacceptable? Like, jfc? Yikes.

Edit: Also "necessary change" is literally subjective. There is nothing "necessary" that needs to be added to any game unless it's a bug fix. (And some games don't even get those - looking at you, Witcher.)

Last edited:
2 shops 1 upgrade.
WW had far less items than NL yet had, what, 3 upgrades?
1 museum 2 upgrades to include things we would have expected to come with the museum.
Redd was an “update”
Diving/Pascal was an “update”

Once you upgrade Nook’s Cranny and the museum there isn’t anything else to work towards, other than designing your island/house.

Nothing to really spend big bells on. No huge projects to plot down or exterior themes for your home or RS. Bells feel useless in this game.

The fact that they’ve axed so many special characters, rather than find a new purpose for them is pretty lame. We already had a Kapp’n that spoke like a pirate, yet we end up with Gulliver in a pirate costume giving us pirate items? Maybe they have plans for Kapp’n but Gulliver taking up a spot for what could’ve been another character feels lazy.

Katrina finally makes an appearance over a year later. Well, her head does. On the app most people don’t even have downloaded on their phones. Why not give her a little fortune telling booth outside of RS, and give Label a break every now and then.

Speaking of Label... is she ever going to join her sisters? They’re just gonna leave her out there in the sun, rain, and snow giving us the same themes to work with over and over and over again. In past games those fasion evaluations led to something. Maybe it’ll be in a later “update”.

No minigames. I get that Tortimer Island in NL had a bad rep with all the predators on there preying on children but at least let us play games with our friends.

(I have a feeling something like that is coming considering there are conveniently 8 seats in the airport. Now that would be an update.)

Yup, the virus happened. Doesn’t mean this slow trickle of content should be welcomed with open arms. The virus is a valid excuse for the lackluster “updates”. That’s all it is.
Don’t make it an excuse to dismiss the criticisms people have with the game.

Why shut people down who are just sharing ideas they think would improve the game?
This “shhh, all is as it should be” mentality is creepy. Geez.

Thoughts on joy-con drift? Or is that not allowed to be criticized either? 😂

I will say in my opinion, New Horizons is fine where it is right now. It has had consistent free updates every few months for a year and continuing. In this day in age with how gaming companies are behaving, that is pretty huge actually.

Sometimes I really wonder if people actually play other games? 😅 Just an example: I've been playing Monster Hunter Rise and bought cosmetic elf ears for almost $2. Many companies charge money for the smallest little things, so yes the fact all the New Horizons updates have been free is surprising. Having to wait many months to get a single DLC that costs around $30 is quite normal with other games as well.

For those that point out all the items in Pocket Camp... I hope they know that game is Pay to Win and filled with lots of microtransactions.

Comparing ACNH to Pokemon S&S: They are not even comparable in my opinion. I have played a ton of ACNH and lots of Pokemon Shield. Pokemon released an expansion pass with the DLC for $30. That is on-top of $60 for the base game and online subscription fee to be able to trade which is needed to complete your Pokedex. ACNH updates are free. Oh by the way, Pokemon S&S came out November 12th 2019. The first DLC came out June 17, 2020, while the second was released on October 22, 2020. So as you can see had to wait quite a while for DLC and you had to pay $30 for it. Considering the price, the DLC's were very underwhelming in my opinion.

People really be acting like criticism is shunned when there are threads talking about this stuff daily and a dedicated rant thread. 🤭

I mean I've been playing since the GameCube and I adore NH soooo.

While I do think NH is missing some things I personally would like to see, there is absolutely no obligation for them to be put in, and I accept that. The game is not bare bones by any stretch, and this was actually addressed in the latest TBT Direct.
Are
Telling people who enjoy the game to "stop," "just no" to defending our opinions, and that the updates (or lack of) are unacceptable? Like, jfc? Yikes.

Edit: Also "necessary change" is literally subjective. There is nothing "necessary" that needs to be added to any game unless it's a bug fix.
This is for the #newhorzionsisbarebones people so, you really don't have to read all of this is you're not one of those people 😊
Thank you! You just took most of the words from my mouth! Even though wild world was my first game, I still agree.
People should have the right to have opinions. Yeah, we get that new horizons doesn't have everything in it yet, but it's technically in beta (in a way).
See, when Nintendo spent all those years making new horizons, they probably didn't have enough time to add all, the npcs. So, they are doing the updates, and they are going every month, which i don't mind. And, Nintendo clearly cares about us, because they added the design slots everyone was complaining about. If Nintendo didn't care we would have:
no bunny day (which some people would probably love)
No may day tour and museum day
No redd
No Leif
No diving, no gullivaar (however you spell that)
No firework shows
No dreaming
No diverse hairstyles
No turkey day
No toy day
No wedding day
No festivale
No mario items
So, I'm sure the npcs will be added back in some way. Maybe not all of them, but somebody on another thread said (think it was @Rosch but maybe it wasn’t) lottie is in the game's files as her tune when you would talk to her changed and Brewster and gyroids are inthe games files, so maybe they will come back. As for everyone else, not sure as of 3/30/21

I always find the "only new fans like New Horizons" take a bad one, because it's not like long time fans are some monolith that all want the same thing out of the game. I have several hundred hours total in New Leaf, but I went to Brewster's maybe like... 5 times. I hated the mini games on the island. I think gyroids are creepy and would be fine with them never coming back.

New Horizons certainly appeals to some playstyles more than others, but that appeal is in no way simply divided by "veteran" vs "newcomer."

I put 1400+ hours into New Leaf over a couple years.. I made it to like 1000 hours in New Horizons in less than a year.

While there's a lot I want added to NH, I am overall satisfied with the game. I think in the long run it will end up being better than NL. But it will take time.

Just wanted to add for context as to when I say people are being entitled.

I dont think its entitled to be unhappy with the game. I don't think its being entitled to want changes, or updates, or anything like that.
I dont think its entitled to dislike the game.
I dont think its entitled to think its a bad animal crossing game.
I dont think its entitled to get your hopes up about an update and be disappointed it hasn't happened.

I only think its being entitled when people think they are actually owed something.
I think people are being entitled when they get actually angry that they haven't gotten their way.
I think people are being entitled when they have got hundreds if not thousands of hours of fun out of the game, but now they don't know what else to do, the game should provide them with it and if not, nintendo are in the wrong.

Hope that clears up that I don't think being critical is being entitled.

I put 1400+ hours into New Leaf over a couple years.. I made it to like 1000 hours in New Horizons in less than a year.

While there's a lot I want added to NH, I am overall satisfied with the game. I think in the long run it will end up being better than NL. But it will take time.
Maybe, if Nintendo adds some of the old staples of animal crossing and makes something new, like maybe more hairstyles that we've never seen before and a color picked that looks like this:
1617159281965.png

As you can see, this is the design app. But maybe one idea for something new is that you could choose your hair color like this. (I really hope this gets added, getting a little tired of reading angry new horizons players on the acnh rant thread because light brown hair isn't in the game yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back