• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!

New Update Coming 4/28!

I kind of figured we wouldn't be getting new villagers in the 28/4 update, but I still got my hopes up 😅 I'll wait and see if any dataminers pull up any new melody data before getting my expectations up again
So wait if they say that the home was a "mistake" what does that mean for the white fences that we saw in the trailer last year?

So wait if they say that the home was a "mistake" what does that mean for the white fences that we saw in the trailer last year?
I keep meaning to look over the trailers to check, but I think the first trailer(/e3 footage? idr) must have been from an earlier build of the game (I remember thinking the grass texture and lighting looked off in the early footage). My theory is either the white fence was a placeholder that never made it out of beta, or that like the mermaid fence, there's a bug preventing us from having it 😅

I keep meaning to look over the trailers to check, but I think the first trailer(/e3 footage? idr) must have been from an earlier build of the game (I remember thinking the grass texture and lighting looked off in the early footage). My theory is either the white fence was a placeholder that never made it out of beta, or that like the mermaid fence, there's a bug preventing us from having it 😅
Hmm if thats the case then its really disappointing how they never kept that in because I remember people being really annoyed that we couldn't customize fences.

It’s true that past AC games have also repeated the events from year to year, so I can see why many people find this reasonable. I just think that it feels awkward to do in update format. I mean, if we aren’t supposed to expect new content because past games didn’t have it......what’s the point of hyping up the regular updates? Couldn’t they have just released a normal AC game with repeating yearly events? At least then, the repetition feels like the traditional cycle within a small town instead of a deliberate omission. When past AC games had many more buildings, more dialogue, more daily activities, it will of course feel very disappointing that every update only recycles existing content rather than bringing the gameplay up to the level of past games from a decade ago. I don’t hate NH or anything, but I find the updates a bit baffling. I don’t want to be too cynical, but it mostly feels like a ploy to keep people strung along and returning to the game because they can always infer the possibility of actual content releasing someday. They didn’t invest enough energy into the core AC mechanics, but the update model keeps longtime players from ditching the game because any moment now! We could have a shop update! Or Brewster! Or more housing plots! Or an NPC!

Seriously such an boring update. I wasn't really expecting an update though. I was hoping for one but, not expecting one but still, this literally feels like a repeat of last year? that's all they could do? Really Nintendo?
I couldn’t agree more, they need to find ways to make the game current, not just rehashing the same ideas

I really enjoy may day, it's a fun little thing to do, so I'm happy they designed a new maze. A bit sad there's nothing really new included yet

for everyone speculating, the "mystery" villager home was just a mistake.

link

Yeah, but it could mean the house will come in a future update. The screenshot may have been just taken in a developer copy of the game where they have features not yet introduced. Either way, they seem to be playing a special version of the game.

Last edited:
It’s true that past AC games have also repeated the events from year to year, so I can see why many people find this reasonable. I just think that it feels awkward to do in update format. I mean, if we aren’t supposed to expect new content because past games didn’t have it......what’s the point of hyping up the regular updates?
But... who is "hyping up" the regular updates? Nintendo announces them because they need to do that but that isn't "hyping up". If people think a common announcement is "hype", make one thousand videos and articles about a random detail on the trailer and then get disappointed, that's a problem fans created.

Companies shouldn't be responsible of the wild and out of control expectations people/fans may have of their product. Specially if some of those fans have harassed developers and other fans over a videogame.

It’s true that past AC games have also repeated the events from year to year, so I can see why many people find this reasonable. I just think that it feels awkward to do in update format. I mean, if we aren’t supposed to expect new content because past games didn’t have it......what’s the point of hyping up the regular updates? Couldn’t they have just released a normal AC game with repeating yearly events? At least then, the repetition feels like the traditional cycle within a small town instead of a deliberate omission. When past AC games had many more buildings, more dialogue, more daily activities, it will of course feel very disappointing that every update only recycles existing content rather than bringing the gameplay up to the level of past games from a decade ago. I don’t hate NH or anything, but I find the updates a bit baffling. I don’t want to be too cynical, but it mostly feels like a ploy to keep people strung along and returning to the game because they can always infer the possibility of actual content releasing someday. They didn’t invest enough energy into the core AC mechanics, but the update model keeps longtime players from ditching the game because any moment now! We could have a shop update! Or Brewster! Or more housing plots! Or an NPC!
Yeah it is kinda weird. If they didn't plan on radically changing the holiday events, then why didn't they just program them to automatically repeat every year without needing updates? By needing to patch them in on a yearly basis, it just creates expectations of something new. They can still do the small updates to add new items to the holidays, because that's nice, but the holidays themselves should just be in the game files going forward. It would certainly hedge expectations, and then maybe some people can more easily choose to move on instead of constantly being in a state of hype and disappointment, lol.

But... who is "hyping up" the regular updates? Nintendo announces them because they need to do that but that isn't "hyping up". If people think a common announcement is "hype", make one thousand videos and articles about a random detail on the trailer and then get disappointed, that's a problem fans created.

Companies shouldn't be responsible of the wild and out of control expectations people/fans may have of their product. Specially if some of those fans have harassed developers and other fans over a videogame.

I probably should have phrased it better—you’re right that Nintendo isn’t exactly building hype for most of the updates currently. I was referring to the game being sold/marketed as an AC game that would receive regular updates with new content and support when the updates have almost exclusively introduced things that would have been obviously expected anyway and were in previous games, such as major holidays and diving. There are some cool new innovations in this game, but they’ve been present from the start. The updates are mostly just filling in “missing” stuff. That’s why I said it felt like a way to sell more copies on the front end. I don’t think they’re really trying to grab new players with the updates as they are now, nor do I think, at this stage, that Nintendo has given anyone reason to expect a massive dump of content later.

I probably should have phrased it better—you’re right that Nintendo isn’t exactly building hype for most of the updates currently. I was referring to the game being sold/marketed as an AC game that would receive regular updates with new content and support when the updates have almost exclusively introduced things that would have been obviously expected anyway and were in previous games, such as major holidays and diving. There are some cool new innovations in this game, but they’ve been present from the start. The updates are mostly just filling in “missing” stuff. That’s why I said it felt like a way to sell more copies on the front end. I don’t think they’re really trying to grab new players with the updates as they are now, nor do I think, at this stage, that Nintendo has given anyone reason to expect a massive dump of content later.
Technically they are giving new content and support. New items count as new content and they have made patches for glitches which counts as support. People need to stop comparing nh to previous titles, its a different game with a different creative direction.

I agree that harassment has no place and giving into fan demands is a slippery slope.

Many of the first year updates were spent reintroducing NPCs and gameplay elements that were present in the previous games, so it is understandable to me that people would expect that trend to continue in year 2 and be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

If Nintendo chooses not to include some past NPCs or features, that is their decision, and I am already happy with the game as is. I just think the way they have chosen to withhold and then roll out certain old features has kind of created this sense of "will they/won't they" around every update.

I wasn't expecting much, but I can't lie, I was a little disappointed. I think I'm just feeling too spoiled from the usual update trailers that we get, along with my wishful thinking. With that being said though, in previous AC games, events were the same every year. I'm so grateful New Horizons has so far changed events this year.

Again, Nintendo promised updates/support for the game and the things they were specific that were going to be updated was major events (Bunny Day/Halloween/Turkey Day/Toy Day/Festivale) and "things that would surprise players each year" (or sth similar). And they have fulfilled all that. People expecting updates to be more than what they were promised is mostly their own fault. I have always agreed that the developers could have given a detailed roadmap but that wouldn't have helped on the long run when lots of people still cling onto datamines/hopes/wants. It's ok to be disappointed, not trying to argue against that- feeling disappointment is a matter of taste and own expectations.

By the way, we know that Nintendo expected to sell around 13 millions LTD. And they of course know that AC is a leggy franchise. Nobody could have expected the game to explode like it did (and ofc nobody could have expected covid to throw a wrench to all industries).

Anyways, although discussion has been civil and fun I think it's a bit off-topic but if you want to keep sharing our opinions, feel free to pm me!

On a more related topic, Bastille Day being celebrated gives me hope that Día de Muertos is acknowledged at some point of the future. The wild variety of mini-events being celebrated on this game is cool to see, like we can go from Prom to the Superbowl to Cheese Rolling Day and I'm like what haha

I'm also hoping there'll be more localised event items, like for other smaller countries as well :) it would be cute to get a dutch holiday item or two

By the way, we know that Nintendo expected to sell around 13 millions LTD. And they of course know that AC is a leggy franchise. Nobody could have expected the game to explode like it did (and ofc nobody could have expected covid to throw a wrench to all industries).

I don't mean to go off topic here but, do we know that Nintendo expected to only sell 13 million? I mean, New Leaf nearly sold 13 mil. The Switch is literally the perfect console for Animal Crossing as you can play docked or on the go, and AC thrives with mobility.

I remember when the switch was first announced I told my friend that Animal Crossing would easily be a top 3 selling game for the console. It was pretty easy to see coming imo. Maybe not the #1 selling game (has it passed Mario Kart yet? Most recent I can find is AC 2 mil behind at the end of 2020), and surely covid boosted the sales a bit... But it wasn't hard to predict that it would be a massive success on the Switch.

I don't mean to go off topic here but, do we know that Nintendo expected to only sell 13 million? I mean, New Leaf nearly sold 13 mil. The Switch is literally the perfect console for Animal Crossing as you can play docked or on the go, and AC thrives with mobility.

I remember when the switch was first announced I told my friend that Animal Crossing would easily be a top 3 selling game for the console. It was pretty easy to see coming imo. Maybe not the #1 selling game (has it passed Mario Kart yet? Most recent I can find is AC 2 mil behind at the end of 2020), and surely covid boosted the sales a bit... But it wasn't hard to predict that it would be a massive success on the Switch.
I can't find the pdf at the moment, but iirc it was reported with the Q4 FY2020 info. It was said that the title surpassed already the expectations from Nintendo. Apologies if I got the things confused.

Nintendo is usually conservative with their HW/SW predictions, so it kind of makes sense that they were downplaying it a bit. Some people could in fact see that the game could thrive on the Switch and that it could become one of the top sellers of the console, but like after many years on the road. NL reached 13 million sales after lots of years and a massive update thanks to its powerful legs, so people were predicting a bigger launch and legs mostly similar that would take the franchise to new heights but very few dared to imagine the game was going to sell 13 million on just 6 weeks! It's kind of that even when a massive success was predicted, it wasn't this massive and this fast :p

The next financial report is released next week, but Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will probably keep the crown. As much as Animal Crossing keeps selling, Mario Kart also keeps selling and while NH is reaching a saturation point on some markets, Mario Kart is still seen as the quintessential Switch game everyone picks up. In my humble opinion, the best opportunity AC had to ever take the first spot was FY3 2021 but alas, MK managed to sell 4 million more copies on the same period haha.

Both will probably reach more than 45 million, which is insane.

You are correct - it's not a current villager's house. I saw a person on Twitter speculate it might be a Zelda villager - specifically Wolf Link.

This is all just speculation, but I could see Nintendo making the Zelda 35th Anniversary part of their E3 presentation. If they did, they could announce Zelda villagers/items are coming to New Horizons as part of the Zelda anniversary celebration the same way they did with the Mario anniversary.

View attachment 371315

View attachment 371316
PLS GOD I HOPE SO. THAT MEANS SOME OF MY FAVORITE ITEMS FROM THE NEW LEAF AMIIBOS WILL BE COMING BACK. HNNGHH 😭😭😭💛💛
Post automatically merged:

for everyone speculating, the "mystery" villager home was just a mistake.

link

Welp, that ruined my hopes and dreams. :’3

Back