• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.

New Horizons F.A.Q. – Ask Questions Here!

What are some items I can use as counters?

If you go to this website and then click the Filter that says "Surface," you'll find every item in the game that has, well, a surface for putting items on. That should give you a good starting point. I know that some people like to use several 1x1 items strung together to make a larger counter, or things like the Fireplace but turned around.

If you go to this website and then click the Filter that says "Surface," you'll find every item in the game that has, well, a surface for putting items on. That should give you a good starting point. I know that some people like to use several 1x1 items strung together to make a larger counter, or things like the Fireplace but turned around.
Thank you this was very helpful! I never noticed true filter option.

Someone once said if you let a camper lock in the villager they will replace, that name will be locked in for the next camper, too. That’s surely not right, is it? I don’t believe it, but I’ve had that worry in the back of my mind since I read it.

Someone once said if you let a camper lock in the villager they will replace, that name will be locked in for the next camper, too. That’s surely not right, is it? I don’t believe it, but I’ve had that worry in the back of my mind since I read it.
I've moved in multiple villagers with the campsite and I was able to change who they replaced each time, so I don't think that this is true at all.

Reactions: Ras

It will lock in if you let them complete the dialogue and the auto save icon shows up in the corner. If you quit right away it wont be locked in for the camper. Someone said that you can use a second character to change who they kick out if you do lock in the the villager on accident but I can't confirm that.

It will lock in if you let them complete the dialogue and the auto save icon shows up in the corner. If you quit right away it wont be locked in for the camper. Someone said that you can use a second character to change who they kick out if you do lock in the the villager on accident but I can't confirm that.

I know that part, but the claim (a long time ago) was that, say, they asked to replace Sherb and you let it save and didn’t let them move in, your next camper two weeks or whenever later would automatically be locked on Sherb.

I know that part, but the claim (a long time ago) was that, say, they asked to replace Sherb and you let it save and didn’t let them move in, your next camper two weeks or whenever later would automatically be locked on Sherb.

I don't think that's the case. It'll randomly pick any villager equally and it could just be bad luck that two campers picked the same villager first but it shouldn't be locked in.

Reactions: Ras
Is there any way to change the lighting?
In new leaf if we wanted more light, we can choose lighting from different items, and it created different lighting for the whole room.

I’m trying to do this in new horizon, but other than the three light options is there more? One of it is too bright, the other is too dark. There’s one option that’s ok, but my top room seems too dark.
I tried adding more light (lamps). But they don’t light up the room. It’s like a flashlight, it just adds lighting to a small 1 square area.

When a villager moves to another player's island, I know they bring their gifted clothing. Do they also bring gifted furniture/other items? I've wondered this for a while and never found the answer.

When a villager moves to another player's island, I know they bring their gifted clothing. Do they also bring gifted furniture/other items? I've wondered this for a while and never found the answer.

Yes. I had an Amelia moved in randomly and she was from another island with a fish in her house and wearing an ugly relay tank.

This is probably a dumb question, but are socks customizable like clothing and phone cases?
1595024705852.jpeg

I wish there was something in ACNH similar to these socks, which are the Kiki and Lala socks. I do miss the Sanrio sets though.

This is probably a dumb question, but are socks customizable like clothing and phone cases?
View attachment 288359
I wish there was something in ACNH similar to these socks, which are the Kiki and Lala socks. I do miss the Sanrio sets though.

Clothes
Socks aren't customizable/able to be made as a custom design, unfortunately.

Edit: Because I realized this question was about custom designs, and then edited again because I realized that I made a nonsensical answer. =P

Last edited:
Ah, I see! I haven’t played enough New Horizons yet, but thank you!

Sorry, I edited that hastily because I realized that I think you were talking about custom designs and not, like, furniture customization, but then I made that sentence incorrect. So let me try that again, haha.

Socks bought from the Able Sisters can't be customized with the Customization Kits like furniture (no clothing can). You also can't make socks with custom designs.

Custom designs for things like shirts/dresses/hats are a thing.

There we go. =P

Last edited:
Sorry, I edited that hastily because I realized that I think you were talking about custom designs and not, like, furniture customization, but then I made that sentence incorrect. So let me try that again, haha.

Socks bought from the Able Sisters can't be customized like furniture. You also can't make socks with custom designs.

Custom designs for things like shirts/dresses/hats are a thing.

There we go. =P
Ohh, that makes sense! I meant custom designs, customization was the only thing in my head at the moment. I should have worded my question better as I was also in a hurry. But I see, at least some things are customizable. Thank you again!

Sorry to barge into the customization convo, but does https://nookplaza.net/ show you which items are custom-pattern-customizable? So not the ones that you can change the bedspread to pink and cherry wood or whatever but actually apply a custom pattern you created/designed?

When gifting villagers, do they just wear the last thing you gave them? Or do they cycle through all their previous gifts? Do they wear one more often than others, as if they have favourites?

When gifting villagers, do they just wear the last thing you gave them? Or do they cycle through all their previous gifts? Do they wear one more often than others, as if they have favourites?

They cycle through the clothes. They do have preferences. I gave a villager an island they didn't prefer and they just displayed it and never wore it again.

Back