• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

My Unpopular Opinions... Yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I think the concept of dating today is really, really messed up. Like people are just like hey let's date, and it leads to a "hey, let's get married" situation which usually ends up in divorce. If I was dating I would be with the person for quite a few years before I even considered marrying them.

Well, to be fair, it's not like people DIDN'T get divorced years and years ago. Centuries ago people would be forced into marriages (well - this still happens) with people they were unhappy with and had to remain in unhappy relationships because if they divorced it'd give them a "bad reputation". It's all bs. I think it's not that the concept of dating is messed up, it's more that, relationships in general are just MESSY. It's genuinely a rare thing to be able to get into a relationship with someone and not experience any difficulties at all. In fact I think the whole of idea of being able to stay with one partner for the rest of your life is kind of unrealistic at times: but this is coming from someone who has divorced / seperated parents so maybe I'm a little cynical because of it. Human beings change, our emotions can vary, so it's only natural that some relationships fizzle out - this even happens with just platonic relationships. That being said, I'm also the kind of person who, if I went out with someone who I really liked, I'd want to stick with them forever. :') I think the concept of having a life partner is ideal lol.

But to be on topic, in terms of my unpopular opinions, I think online dating is actually not a great concept and using dating websites / apps like Tinder are just ruining relationships. I might sound a bit boring and old-fashioned for saying that, but... I have friends who use Tinder and they constantly rely on it as the only way to meet new boys. They don't just talk to people in our class, or go out to activities or events or anything like that to just talk to new people that way. It's like the only way they can talk to guys is through Tinder. And it's *sort of* worked out for them which is great, but I'm still cynical of it all. With online dating and through any social media you can just put up an idealised version of yourself as a profile and portray yourself as how you WANT to be seen, rather than who you actually are as a person, so I don't think you can trust people easily in that aspect. It's ruining the art of communication. Online conversations are so much more different to conversations face to face. You can convey so much more emotion in person. I mean, I genuinely don't want to sound like I'm bashing technology - I think it's an amazing thing we can converse with people from all corners of the world through the internet, but in the aspect of dating, it's just not... Right, to me?

And I think the whole point of Tinder as well is that people treat it like it's some sort of game? My friends especially said that they would log in just to scroll through people and laugh at stupid profiles for fun. It just is such a weird, bizarre thing to me.

I wonder if you miss the 90's as much as I do, even though I wasn't actually alive then.
Well, I'm not super crazy about 90's music, but I loved the pop culture and the video games. I was born in the last 6 months of 1999 and so my childhood was a lot of that.

But I am super crazy about 80's everything :D

- - - Post Merge - - -

Well, to be fair, it's not like people DIDN'T get divorced years and years ago. Centuries ago people would be forced into marriages (well - this still happens) with people they were unhappy with and had to remain in unhappy relationships because if they divorced it'd give them a "bad reputation". It's all bs. I think it's not that the concept of dating is messed up, it's more that, relationships in general are just MESSY. It's genuinely a rare thing to be able to get into a relationship with someone and not experience any difficulties at all. In fact I think the whole of idea of being able to stay with one partner for the rest of your life is kind of unrealistic at times: but this is coming from someone who has divorced / seperated parents so maybe I'm a little cynical because of it. Human beings change, our emotions can vary, so it's only natural that some relationships fizzle out - this even happens with just platonic relationships. That being said, I'm also the kind of person who, if I went out with someone who I really liked, I'd want to stick with them forever. :') I think the concept of having a life partner is ideal lol.

But to be on topic, in terms of my unpopular opinions, I think online dating is actually not a great concept and using dating websites / apps like Tinder are just ruining relationships. I might sound a bit boring and old-fashioned for saying that, but... I have friends who use Tinder and they constantly rely on it as the only way to meet new boys. They don't just talk to people in our class, or go out to activities or events or anything like that to just talk to new people that way. It's like the only way they can talk to guys is through Tinder. And it's *sort of* worked out for them which is great, but I'm still cynical of it all. With online dating and through any social media you can just put up an idealised version of yourself as a profile and portray yourself as how you WANT to be seen, rather than who you actually are as a person, so I don't think you can trust people easily in that aspect. It's ruining the art of communication. Online conversations are so much more different to conversations face to face. You can convey so much more emotion in person. I mean, I genuinely don't want to sound like I'm bashing technology - I think it's an amazing thing we can converse with people from all corners of the world through the internet, but in the aspect of dating, it's just not... Right, to me?

And I think the whole point of Tinder as well is that people treat it like it's some sort of game? My friends especially said that they would log in just to scroll through people and laugh at stupid profiles for fun. It just is such a weird, bizarre thing to me.

But it's different when you're forced into a marriage and then you have issues. But like my parents have been married for almost 23 years and I'm surprised they're still together because they seem to barely get along. They only dated for 4 months then jumped straight into it. Then they wonder why it didn't really work out.

And girls that are my age talk all the time like "I got a new boyfriend" all the time, like they're disposable or something. It really sets me off.

I am accepting of people creating multiple sexualities, but once you start trying to tell me there are more than 2 genders, I'm done lol There's only BOY or GIRL. You can be attracted or not attracted to whatever, but you can't just say that you have no gender or whatever to a doctor.

I think Sun and Moon are the best Pokemon games.

I've played Gen 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7, and my favorite of all of them is gen 3. And I played the original Sapphire version, not the remake. As a matter of fact, I still play it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

People on the internet are too sensitive and insensitive. :)

Yeah it's like there's no such thing as an in-between.

I dont like pasta's... no mac and cheese, no spaghetti, no lasagna... may not sound odd, but as far as i can tell im the only one on the world who really doesnt like pastas :p

. FPSs are overrated
. Drawn on eyebrows are ugly
. Raisins are nasty
. The kawaii/pink aesthetic is annoying and everywhere

- - - Post Merge - - -

Anime is dumb.

There are amazing anime series, without a doubt, but the majority of it sucks really bad and are literally cookie cutters of themselves. I don't care what genre, you have to really dig deep or else you're watching the same garbage over and over. Which is a shame cause it makes the good series hard to find.

And to add to this thread, I think harems and ecchi are the two worst genres of anime.

I am accepting of people creating multiple sexualities, but once you start trying to tell me there are more than 2 genders, I'm done lol There's only BOY or GIRL. You can be attracted or not attracted to whatever, but you can't just say that you have no gender or whatever to a doctor.

I'm cool with it until they start to demand you use their preferred pronouns. **** off back to tumblr with that BS.

Last edited:

The thing is, you're confusing gender identity with sex. There are two biological sexes, yes, but gender is an entirely different concept. It's a spectrum and there's all kinds of in-betweens and it can be fluid.

There is only male and female biologically, but gender identity is very broad and complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back