• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

its March Madness time!!

I chose Minnesota to go all the way and they got eliminated round 1...

I had them going to the Sweet 16 because I'm a homer, but why would you pick them to go all the way other than that they have the best mascot?

Way to go Richard Pitino for keeping Reggie Lynch on the bench for half the game to prevent him from fouling out while MTSU destroyed your team in the paint.

really? what made you gopher Minnesota??

I don't even really know. I think that when I was making my bracket, I noticed I wasn't picking a lot of upsets, so I decided to choose a really big one, and it completely backfired. The even sadder part is that it was the only game I got wrong so far today.

So far the tournament has been pretty boring. There have been a few wild finishes and some mild upsets, but all the 1-4 seeds won in the first round.

So far the tournament has been pretty boring. There have been a few wild finishes and some mild upsets, but all the 1-4 seeds won in the first round.

I agree, there were no wild upsets really in the first round, maybe a 1 or 2 seed will fall this weekend (my money would be on Gonzaga, i think theyre a shaky top seed)...

well here's your upset

DOWN GOES OVERALL TOP SEED AND DEFENDING CHAMPION VILLANOVA!!!

yikes, in only the second round. i only saw the last minute or two, but huge decision to rescind the intentional foul call on Villanova's loose ball breakaway, they would have had free throws and the ball to close out and take the final shot, instead Wiscy got the ball and converted on either a carrying violation or a great hesitation move (depending upon your philosophy of how the game should be played)

yeah, i had Nova in the title game (but losing, aha). well in most brackets that's really only gonna help people with Duke winning the region...

If Wisconsin doesn't win the region... The Badgers are always really difficult to kill off for some reason.

If Wisconsin doesn't win the region... The Badgers are always really difficult to kill off for some reason.

they play that slow-it-down, physical, football on the court style that so many BigTen teams play. Every year the NCAA says theyre going to enforce the rules of basketball, especially hand checks and other fouls on shooters, but by tourney time theyre back to letting a lot go and it benefits teams like Wisconsin and Michigan State. still, i cant think of any BigTen teams that won a title in the last twenty-five years except that 2000 Sparty team...

will there be any more upsets today?? Villanova losing was definitely a shocker.

3 seed Fsu got blown out in their homestate by 25 points by the 11 seed Xavier, that was maybe more shameful than shocking.

glad me Gators crushed Virginia and advanced to the Sweet Sixteen, kudos to our new coach, he's had them playing well.

Well, FIFA is corrupt. But most Americans just don't care about football / soccer for whatever reason. Basketball is much more popular here.

Strange that America takes part in the World Cup if nobody cares about it, though.

Not that big. I'm pulling for Wichita State right now.

well Kentucky held on, but Wichita State a bit underseeded imo. as is apparently much of the Big Ten.

i would love, LOVE, to see upsets of north carolina and of duke tonight....

well, a bit more madness anyhow, as South Carolina upsets the Duyke Blue Devils, who would have been favored to win the east regiona lwith Villanova out of the way...

North Carolina should have also lost earlier in the same arena, to Arkansas, but was saved by disgraceful refereeing chicanery, a common pattern for them in ncaa basketball... just one reason i can't stand North carolina...

overall, this hasn't been a godd tournam,ent for the little guys...
of the teams advancing to the Sweet Sixteen (im counting UCLA in at this point), all but 1 comes from the power conference,s the soel exception being top seed out West and perennial hoops power Gonzaga...
here's the breakdown:

3 teams each:
SEC: Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina
Big10: Michigan, Wisconsin, Purdue
Big12: UCLA, Arizona, Oregon
Big12: Kansas, West Virginia, Baylor

2 teams in:
Big East: Butler, Xavier

1 team in:
ACC: North Carolina *
WCC: Gonzaga**

*advanced due to crooked officiating...
**advanced due to incompetent officiating...

There have been a few upsets, but not much craziness. No buzzer beaters, no OT yet, and other than two 7's, one 8, and an 11, it's been chalk. Wisconsin and Michigan are not really Cinderellas, they're just under-seeded. Xavier routinely makes the tournament. South Carolina is the only real lovable underdog left.

Last edited:
pretty sure South Carolina, Xavier, and Gonzaga are the only teams left that have never reached the national title game...
(maybe Purdue also, they may only have a Final Four appearance in their program history...)

usually there are a couple total outsiders in the Sweet Sixteen but that's not the case this year.

I'm not a sports person at all. So I am not about the hype, but I know how important it is to devout gamblers! =D

Back