ISP's Monthly Data Consumption not counting downloaded non-PC games?

JCnator

Bells
Switch
4227-4179-8894
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Famous Mushroom
New Horizons Token
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Poptart Easter Egg
Winter Mittens
Cake
Lately, I've been downloading well over 20GB worth of games for my newly-acquired PS4. I thought it was going to leave a huge dent to my Internet Service Provider's Monthly Data Consumption limit of 75GB, but games downloaded from dedicated gaming devices aren't apparently tallied.

Before December 25th 2014, I didn't purchased any retail game (and small games taking some GBs) whatsoever and I use my computer a lot to watch videos and browse Internet. At that moment, I had around 40GB of data left from my monthly data consumption before my PS4 has arrived.
Today, I now have 37GB left despite downloading more than 20GB worth of games, while still using my computer to browse in Internet.

How comes my ISP doesn't count data consumption from games being downloaded to my dedicated video game consoles? Is your ISP doing the same thing you as I do?
If you want to experiment with your ISP's Data Consumption, check on your account from your ISP website and take note on how much data you consumed. Then, if you still have enough GBs left, you can try downloading 5GB+ of one game from any of your console but the PC and see if your ISP is actually tallying.

Last edited:
Odd, I haven't heard of an ISP not tallying every drop of data consumption before. I certainly wouldn't complain about it either! :p Seriously though, maybe your ISP has a special deal where they don't record consumption from certain game consoles? What ISP do you have?

thats weird, i dont see how ur isp can tell the difference between ps4 internet traffic and computer traffic

thats weird, i dont see how ur isp can tell the difference between ps4 internet traffic and computer traffic
Easily. Every individual device you own that connects to the internet has something called a MAC Address that your ISP can use to identify where your internet traffic is coming from.

Odd, I haven't heard of an ISP not tallying every drop of data consumption before. I certainly wouldn't complain about it either! :p Seriously though, maybe your ISP has a special deal where they don't record consumption from certain game consoles? What ISP do you have?

It's a good thing they somehow let us download a unlimited amount of GBs with dedicated video game consoles, especially when the free PS+ games alone would otherwise eat a lot of my data consumption. For the record, my ISP is actually coming from a middleman that uses another ISP called TELUS Communications for all of my Internet needs, which was the only way to be online in my town. I did heard that my brother is connected to a different ISP that does the same thing to us. That information isn't mentioned on their websites, but I eventually figured out that our ISPs don't tally the data traffic of my dedicated video game consoles as of now. I don't know why these ISPs can't differentiate between dedicated video game console Internet traffic and PC Internet traffic. Perhaps it's their technology that might be outdated or their overall Internet policies are looser than some of the other ISPs out there.

How strange, maybe it's something to do with your local area or there's an mistake on your ISPs side of things. You better download ALL the video games ever while you can just in case this all changes!

Best thing to do is call and ask them. Though that may also cause them to go "Huh, welp better fix that!". So be careful xD

Best thing to do is call and ask them. Though that may also cause them to go "Huh, welp better fix that!". So be careful xD

Why suggest it then lolol just let it be and download all you can. It's their fault if they can't track lol so if they come at OP later just tell them x)

Why suggest it then lolol just let it be and download all you can. It's their fault if they can't track lol so if they come at OP later just tell them x)

Because if he really wanted to kno wwhy, that's the only way to find out.

God why do I still post here...

Back