• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is this game playable without Amiibo cards?

Wickel

Bells
Switch
3043-1453-7341
Baby Chick Easter Egg
Sweetheart Easter Egg
Crescent Moon Easter Egg
Silent Night Bauble
Daisy Easter Egg
Pavé
Tricolored Puppy Plush
New Horizons Token
Leif
Hey guys,

this might be a stupid question, but is it playable without cards? It seems like a fun game to play every once in a while so I might pick it up for cheapsz somewhere secondhanded. :)

But I don't own any amiibo cards and I don't really plan on getting them. But is the game worth it without them or does it end quickly / do I miss out on awesome stuff if I don't have them? Because in that case, I won't buy the game.

Very much so, that's how I've been playing it. I think they're just needed for NPCs?
The cards really only let you pick the order of which villagers you make houses for first, RV cards aren't compatible. There's only one exclusive item (that i'm aware of), which just gives you Isabelle's scooter.

Last edited:
Very much so, that's how I've been playing it.
The cards really only let you pick the order of which villagers you make houses for first, RV cards aren't compatible. There's only one card that has an exclusive item (that i'm aware of), which just gives you Isabelle's scooter.

Oh okay, so the cards don't even unlock extra items? I do have Isabelle's amiibo - that's the only one I own. Maybe she gives the scooter? :) Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely pick up the game.

It's playable, but there will be non-essential items (their pictures, scooter *from Isabelle) you miss out on in regards to the special characters. Other than that, it's not a big deal imo. The Amiibo cards and figures just slightly enhance the game play and I think it's worth it secondhand. I sometimes use HHD to plan out interior design for my NL houses. :)

rianne
Really? I could of sworn I got their pictures just from non-card requests.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Myrthella
Nope, the scooter only comes from a special Japanese Isabelle card.
That'll work!

Last edited:
rianne
Really? I could of sworn I got their pictures just from non-card requests.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Myrthella
Nope, the scooter only comes from a special Japanese Isabelle card.

Actually, I have a US Isabelle card and was able to get the Isabelle scooter. I will upload some photos in a minute. :3 As for the pics, I have some photos but not a clear-cut answer since I scanned a couple of special characters' cards.

- - - Post Merge - - -

See below. I have scanned in Sable and Isabelle's cards but not Gracie's, yet I do have Gracie's pic available in my catalog.

291orvk.jpg

2uzv5hi.jpg

15pn4td.jpg

rianne
You're right, I didn't have the US one so I misremembered as it's been ages!
As to how you have Gracie's pic, I'm not sure as I never had any NPC requests without cards?

Last edited:
Totally understand, I just picked up HHD again this month after not playing in a long time. xD

It is confusing how I have Gracie's pic. . .you're right that there won't be NPC requests without the cards.

- - - Post Merge - - -

rianne
You're right, I didn't have the US one so I misremembered as it's been ages!
As to how you have Gracie's pic, I'm not sure as I never had any NPC requests without cards?

Wait I figured out why. I designed Frobert's house (unlocked without Amiibo card) and he's pretty much a Gracie fanboy. So that explains why I have Gracie's pic in my catalog. :)

Back