• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

is it time for me to get a new 3ds?

berry creme

Bells
Switch
0572-9677-4401
i?ve had the same 3ds since around 2012. it?s a black small-sized 3ds, bare minimum but it works. recently i?ve found that the charger wouldnt work unless it was at a VERY specific angle and even then it would randomly stop charging. i thought it was a charger problem, but this happens with any other charger i use on my 3ds. is there a specific way to fix it or do i just need to save up for a new one?

It's up to you honestly for saving up to get a new one. But it's probably the 3ds itself that you currently have.

i’ve had the same 3ds since around 2012. it’s a black small-sized 3ds, bare minimum but it works. recently i’ve found that the charger wouldnt work unless it was at a VERY specific angle and even then it would randomly stop charging. i thought it was a charger problem, but this happens with any other charger i use on my 3ds. is there a specific way to fix it or do i just need to save up for a new one?

You can change the charging port, it's what I did for mine. The piece cost like $3-5 but you need a tiny soldering iron (one for electronic). I looked at Youtube videos on how to do it, practice soldering a bit with old pieces (because I had never done it before) and then repaired the 3ds, it was not that hard but since the charging port is small you need a bit of dexterity.

I had a similar issue with mine as well, my old 3DS aqua blue had issues with charging, the cord had to be a very certain way or it would not charge and it randomly stopped as well. The battery life on it is shot as well, so there would be days that I'd have to charge it twice. It also took FOREVER to charge.

If you still want to play on the 3DS (great system btw) I'd def invest in another system. You can find good condition used 3DS systems, or if you look hard enough you can find cheap new 3DS systems. Not dirt cheap, but still not as expensive as other consoles. I have a never used but still previously owned 3DS XL black and red and a completely new purple 3DS XL with Mario Kart predownloaded on it. With the XL systems you get more storage space which is good if you like to digitally download games.

Last edited:
Back