• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Ideas for the next game: Problems & Solutions

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
This is my first blog entry to contain ideas for the next AC version. I remember seeing a whole bunch of idea threads on GameFAQs, but if I want to share my ideas and archive them, I can do it here.

I will begin the ideas chapter with the problems pertaining to previous games (especially this game), and how they should fix it in the next game. Some of them you would agree with me on, but others you would disagree. Either way, these are my opinions, and they have good points behind them. I found eight major issues that need to be taken care of:

1. Club Tortimer - this is the most important issue to fix in the next game. Bad game mechanics, glitches, and power outages may bug us when we're playing, but in gaming, there is nothing worse than bad online experience activity. While hackers, spammers, and cheaters who exploit in-game glitches or break the game are problematic, trolls, griefers, and cyberbullies are more violent in-game. I don't want to sound heartless, but griefers are bad no matter how old they are, even if they are just kids who don't know any better. I know it's rude to tell them to grow up, but I do not want to play online with those kind of people. If they want money or rare items, they must get them theirselves.

Club Tortimer is the center of all the online activity problems in New Leaf. Although I never had any problem with Club Tortimer personally, I don't want anybody having a bad experience playing online. I care about others too. Stories I hear are horrible. The kids get jealous of others and they get very demanding. They call names, hit with tools, scare away fish and insects when others are trying to catch them, and they demand for all the other player's money without giving a single share. Worst case scenario - they trap people on the island by using the island tours feature. That means the players being bullied will never get to leave until he/she satisfies the kid's wants. What's the solution? Flip the wi-fi switch. Even if they get away from it, they're still emotionally hurt.

Solutions to fix the Club Tortimer problem:
    • One of them is to eliminate Club Tortimer completely. While the bad online activity is a problem, I also see no point in going to Club Tortimer. It's just the same as the regular island, except that they are online, and have certain items that never show up on the regular island. If they aren't going to do that, them...
    • Another issue they can resolve is to fix the island tours feature, where when somebody starts the island tours, they can't trap you that way. There's no more of these "choppy waters". When the tours are started, you can leave the island at any time, but you will be warned about missing out the fun. Or...
    • A third solution they can do is to report trolls at the front desk of the island. If somebody is being rude, you can report them for inappropriate behavior. This will automatically disconnect the wi-fi between all players, but it will alert Nintendo about the issue.

2. Villager Freedom - one of the most complained about issues of ACNL by the community is that animals are free to move wherever they want, and I agree that this is the biggest liability in New Leaf. I know Isabelle won't let us place projects in certain spots, but is it her fault when we regard villager houses? We know very well about the answer here.

We may have very good orchards and gardens planted, but chances are is that villagers can move in and destroy your gardens and orchards. What if you have perfect fruit trees or hybrid flowers in that area. That's double the offense. You may have planned out your town very well by placing paths and planning on where you will place your projects. Your plans can get foiled when a villager moves there. They can obstruct and destroy your paths, or they can move in spots where you planned on having some projects (like you plan on having a Café near the train station, but some animal moves in that area). The part I hate about this the most is that they could move in front of important landmarks, including YOUR HOUSE. That makes your town look bad, and I certainly do not want anything obstructing my paths when I get out of my house. In previous games, there were fewer reasons to hate certain villagers. This game, villagers are being hated for moving in the wrong spots. It's not much the villager's fault. It's the mechanic's fault.

There are two ways to control this in New Leaf, and they are just as frustrating as the mechanic itself. One way is to put projects in spots you don't want your animals in. However, you can have so many projects in your town, and this may mess up with your plans. Another way is to use the reset villager trick, where you create a new character on the day a new animal comes, so you can reset the plot. This is tedious, and I consider that cheating (you can still do it, but it's still a cheat).

Honestly, the way to fix this problem in the next game is by having a zoning feature as one of your mayoral flexes. You can have 20 villager houses maximum, but the maximum you can have at a time is the number of plots you have in your town. You can use this flex to create new plots or destroy old plots so you can really control where the animals live. So you can have more freedom, but villagers don't have too much freedom.

3. Grass Decay - another common complaint in New Leaf actually started out in City Folk. While it's not as bad in New Leaf, it's still bad. I may not be as bothered by the grass decay, but it's still bad for towns. I think in the next game, grass decay should only occur when you build a house or project, but it recovers over time. I think Wild World had the best grass and dirt pattern in AC history. So yep, it's time to let this feature go.

4. Group Mechanic - this actually bothers me as I play, as it must be eradicated in the next game. Seriously, I hate seeing almost the same items pop up in stores everyday and have some items almost never show up. I'm glad that the group mechanic in my town focuses more on the Robo series and Cabin series, but in my first two towns, they almost never show up. This is very annoying. I hate time traveling back and forth all the time to never see them show up in stores.

This feature must go in the next game. Or they could introduce a biome feature, and have the group A, group B, group C, and group D items, where group D will appear in every town at the same frequency, as groups A, B, and C will have different frequencies based on what biome you pick for your town (i.e. desert biome has cabin furniture and other related series dominate the stock as furniture such as lovely and regal hardly show up at all). It would be more fair if this was more predictable and biome-based, not grass pattern based. Something has to be done with this mechanic. Either introduce a feature where you get to choose your group, or eradicate it completely. One way will encourage trading more, but the other way will make it less frustrating to complete the catalog.

5. The Luck System - I hate the luck system in New Leaf. It's very unfair. The problem with the luck system in New Leaf is that you need to wear some lucky items to unlock the good luck or protect yourself from bad luck. And what if you don't have the lucky items or don't want to wear the lucky items? Then the game punishes you. Basically speaking, the game punishes you for not wearing what they want you to wear. You don't get good luck on your good luck days, but you get bad luck on your bad luck days. I hate it that money rocks will emit half as much money as usual or that I constantly trip randomly. A karma system would be better than the luck system however. So you can get punished for being mean to villagers, but be rewarded for being nice to villagers. But still, I hate the luck system in New Leaf.

6. Beetle Sensitivity - ever since they brought back the feature where you can sneak to catch a bug, rare beetles like the giant stag and the horned hercules are being more sensitive than ever. Even if you aren't running, the beetles will take off at five blocks away. Even if you are at your slowest speed without your net, they will still take off. Maybe in the next game, the rare beetles should be less sensitive than they are in this game.

7. Unlocking PWPs - here is another frustrating part about New Leaf. You may use the diving trick, but there's no guarantee that you will get a new PWP suggestion. Favors are one thing, but there are some stuff that you can't narrow down. Useless questions are one of them. I really find it annoying to look for PWPs and all I get are useless questions. Maybe instead of expecting pings for PWPs, you can ask animals if they have any project suggestions. This can be only done by the mayor, and it can be done only once a day. And animals may not have project suggestions everyday.

8. Hybrids and Trees - finally, the last issue to go over is another of those bad online activities. You could have some humans visit your town, but some of the them can be trolls or noobs. They can steal your flowers by picking them up, kill your flowers, and cut down your trees. One way to make trolls lose in the next game is by eliminating all that. When your gates are open, uses of shovels will be disabled, even if you are just a visitor. Running won't work when the gates are open. Trees are impossible to cut down when the gates are open. If these mechanics take effect, this issue will be resolved.

That's all of the major problems in New Leaf and how they can be solved. If you like, feel free to comment. Anyone can post comments on this entry.

For #8 the Mayor should decide what can and cannot be done tbh, most things will be turned off when doing a trade or whatever but if a friend is coming over to help rearrange their flowers then most of the stuff will be set to on, I reckon.

I know some of the details I placed here sound like a strict solution, but for trading flowers, planting them in others' towns would be the appropriate thing to do.

I also forgot to add something:

If you were nicer to a villager, shouldn't that make them want to stay longer? I think being kind to a villager should decrease their chances of moving out rather than increase their chances.

If you were meaner to a villager, shouldn't that make them want to leave sooner? I think being mean to a villager should increase their chances of moving out rather than being stagnant or decreasing.

Back