I went back to the GameCube version for a day...

There's some repetitive dialogue and tutorial dialogue but let's face it...all the games have repetitive dialogue at some point. This game is the least guilty of it in the series and the best at keeping things fresh or interesting every once in a while. It's not perfect, but it's not terrible like New Leaf and it usually doesn't give boring one liners like ACNH constantly throws out which is a personal gripe of mine. It's still the best in terms of dialogue with perhaps Wild World following.

i never played the GC version, but i can already see the complaints on this forum of villagers being too rude and ruining the immersion of the happy cute animal game if dialogue and personalities reverted back to GC style 🙄 i dont care either way. being bullied might be fun.
There's a few villagers who aren't mean to you upon first meeting. The normals and jocks can actually be quite friendly lol.

I am curious, when was the last time you played either game?

I tried to start a WW town a few months before release and it was the villager interactions specifically that made me stop playing. I got most of the same lines of dialog every day for a week or two. I don't remember it being like that, but I think NL improved the villagers so much that it paled in comparison for me.

I'm sure many people go back to the old games and enjoy them just as much, and that's great. But I also wonder if some have forgotten the more annoying bits, like I did, and would feel differently if they went back. I know nostalgia has clouded my opinions many times before

Fair enough. The last time I picked up WW was when I participated in a TBT contest, which was last year and the GCN version I re-played via a rom about 2-3 years back. I could be seeing either version with rose tinted glasses, so there's always that, but I also remember there being more distinction between characters (cranky villagers were more mean and some of the jokes were more on the adult side). When I played New Leaf all the character were too nice and I couldn't tell at first which characters were supposed to be cranky or nice because they all acted pretty much the same.

Last edited:
I went back recently and played for a minute. I was a bit suprised how much tutorial dilolgue there always is. And the menu system.
I went and talked to Freya. I was mainly just suprised because....
I can still get around my whole town without a map. It felt like visiting my childhood home or something.
I'm glad the animals are less mean now. I mean I got ROASTED by Pecan. Where were you blah blah blah. Kind of funny. But to me its really a reflection of the times.
Now you have to try and be EXTREMELY politically correct about things and inclusive and polite. Which is good and all. But before the internet became how it is now that wasn't as much of a thing? I feel like that really shows.
I'm not saying those aren't things before. I'm just say they are just...More so?

Back