• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

how long do you take to design an area?

It depends on how complicated it is! Sometimes I'd think about something for an hour or two and then it would take that again to actually terraform or execute it. I don't think I've ever planned an area for more than an hour or two across one or more days!

It took me four days to plan and implement my campsite.

Edit: and I'm debating about changing the area

Weeks. I'm very indecisive starting out. It's a lot faster for me once I start to commit. The first column of my island is starting to come together now! Today is hopefully the final day I move my museum.

It depends on the area. I've had a couple... okay, one... go together quickly. Most have taken a while to figure out just what I wanted, then they have morphed over time.

The best example of this is my sanctuary. It started as a circle of cedar trees with a stone tablet in the center, built pretty much as soon as I had a vaulting pole and ladder. It was just finished, now being an open square of cedar trees surrounding roses and a pool in the center with a beautiful statue in the center. In front of that is a terracotta patch with candles, nova lights, more roses, and two valiant statues to flank it all. I still have a few colors of roses to swap out, as I breed them, but it's basically finished - a little over 3 months in.

Fortunately, most of my island came together much quicker! :)

I am... very speedy lol. If it doesn't require demolishing/building/or ordering items (because I try not to TT) and I have some random inspiration with stuff in my closet, I can tear it down and redo it in an hour or two. My map is always changing and I feel bad for my residents who have to deal with my constant cliff smashing 😩 The finalised area usually ends up looking the way I want a few days later (because most of my ideas require tall weeds to grow in) but I'll get the basic terraforming down very quickly, then arrange some basic furniture. I'll eventually add in the flowers and change things around later on.

If you've got something planned, it doesn't take too long. It may take hours depending on how much terra-forming is required and where you'll put stuff.

More than a day usually.. I recently just started terraforming.

It's takes me forever because I change my mind a lot about small things as I design an area.
Plus, I like to leave it for a bit to see if I really like it and if I don't like something a few days later I'll edit that and leave the rest until I really love it.

I usually just go with the flow, I don't think about it too much... maybe that's why my designs are quite simple, but I like that! What takes the longest is actually getting all the items!!! It took me 2 months to finally complete my flower garden with all the flowers and color ways, but the idea took like 20-30 min.

If I know exactly what I want to do, it could take me 30 mins, but if I'm changing as I go along, it could take 3-4 hours.

Depends on how much furniture I need to order. I don't TT, so the 5-a-day limitation slows my progress.

It can take a few days sometimes because i dont do all of the work in one day, but other times i can finish one area in even less than an hour, it depends. I have one area where i knew what i wanted to do and had the stuff i needed in hand but i wasnt in the mood to do it in one go so it just sat there unfinished for weeks XD

Well... it greatly depends...

Do I need to terraform?
Do I already have enough space or will I need to move some other stuff?
Do I already all items (crafting or non crafting) on hand or am I deciding that as I go?
How big of a space is it?
Did my inspo already give me a good idea of what I want? Or am I winging it as I go on a vague idea?

With the example of my villagers' yards, I knew the size and roughly the colors (because their house) I wanted. It typically took about an hour? Agnes tho. I was having the hardest time designing her yard since I didn't want to to be TOO similar to the neighboring yards so that was an on-n-off project all day and into the next @.@

I've tried to plan out areas before smacking cliffs about but end up scrapping the idea and relying on spur of the moment inspiration. Each area takes days for me to complete:

1. Start area based on 1-2 ideas and get a groove going
2. Sleep and wake up hating it
3. Remove everything
4. Start again

Most recent was a dig site that took two days. It's going to be Lucky's personal archaeology haven. Haven't incorporated the museum into this yet but hope something will click.

By the time I'm happy with it I'll still end up checking back and adding clutter that adds to it (custom patterns, plants, lanterns, bushes, small furniture pieces, etc.). None of my areas ever end up completely "done." 😅

Two months and counting. There isn't a single "complete" area on my island. I'll spend a couple minutes working on something then get distracted by something - like a butterfly.

Back