• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Hey *Cranky* boys-

CylieDanny

🔥The Spicy Prince🔥
Bells
Island
Fuggire
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Fortune Cookie
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Ya'll are being too nice now!

I started watching some play throughs of the older games, and seeing how villagers are. They get so mad at you xD oh my god.

Esspecially the crankies, I want this now:
tumblr_ost03x6InS1rdod18o1_400.jpg
i really wanna see this
images.jpeg.jpg

Not my screen shots, found them online. But thats not even half as angry as villagers can get, I just wanted examples using my own villagers.

Not this:
2024052714165000-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

I dont mind the sweet dialouge im starting to warm up to the normal dialouge. But when it comes from a cranky...? Its kinda out of character 😅

I mean after watching cranky villagers get unbelievably angry at you in games like Wild World, it makes the New Horizon crankies look like, if there were Brotherly Villagers

Now don't get me wrong, I have defently had my crankies get angry at me before:
2024022009265600-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg
2024022009270200-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg
2024042610235500-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

2024011812351400-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg
2024011812351800-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg
2024011812350100-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg
I dont know, it just feels like Cranky villagers need to be more grumpy, more annoyed then all nice? Like sure its cool to talk to them and they're nice to you. I just want some more anger, or even them being annoyed

All villagers get annoyed at you if you whack or push them, thats when they get really mad. but like I want something close to that. Or even mood swings. I just feel like the cranky villagers don't live up to their name.

What's your opinion on the *cranky* villagers now? Do you wish they were a bit more grumpy? All the villagers were a bit more grumpy? Or do you prefer them being like this?
---
Side note, I didn't include Bruce in this because he's never been angry with me, he's been worried, but not angry.
2024052310092500-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Also I dont know why, but I wish Sasha was in older games so I could see him be a little angry bunny lol

Last edited:
I tend to ponder why cranky is even a category since they don't come across that way in even the most mild interpretation of the word. They were my favorite in the GameCube game but these days I never even know when I have one.

Also why are they only male? Why do only men get the pleasure of being constantly tired and terminally done with everything? We need to hire more female crankys.

I tend to ponder why cranky is even a category since they don't come across that way in even the most mild interpretation of the word. They were my favorite in the GameCube game but these days I never even know when I have one.

Also why are they only male? Why do only men get the pleasure of being constantly tired and terminally done with everything? We need to hire more female crankys.
I think it would be cool to have both genders of all personalities. Female crankies would be great,

i don’t really mind how the cranky villagers are in new horizons, but i definitely miss when they were actually cranky. i’ve seen my cranky villagers get irritated a few times, but for the most part they just act like awkward, endearing grandpas now 💀 i never played the gamecube animal crossing, but i loved how the crankies were in wild world — they were cranky and brash to you without being too mean, but they would slowly warm up and start being nicer to you as your friendship with them increased. i wish they were still like that; it felt more realistic to me than them being all neighbourly and nice from the moment they move in.

i honestly don’t like how all the villagers act like they’re your best friend the moment you meet them. the normal and lazy villagers are one thing since they’ve always been like that, but i wish the villagers had more bite and personality to them like they did in past games. i’m not asking them to constantly roast me or have dialogue that makes kids cry or something, but sometimes i just want my snooty villagers to drag my outfit to filth, or for my peppy villagers to tell me i’m a loser lol. it’d be cool if their kindness and them caring for us was something that was gradually earned over time still, instead of them now wanting to make friendship bracelets from day 1

I don't mind them being more "mild" in comparison to their older temperament, I think it's really cute the juxtaposition between being this gruff and angry grandpa that's actually a really sweet person XD

I am really curious about the old ways they used to act though, as I've heard it's intense 🤣 I'd imagine they're still nice and sweet, but maybe more so after talking to them a bit more vs. in NH they're pretty much nice immediately lol
If they were gruffer it could help to sell the "Cranky" thing a bit better, and I do think they're the most interesting villagers to talk to because of that so I wouldn't mind seeing Crankies return to form in the future lol

i don’t really mind how the cranky villagers are in new horizons, but i definitely miss when they were actually cranky. i’ve seen my cranky villagers get irritated a few times, but for the most part they just act like awkward, endearing grandpas now 💀 i never played the gamecube animal crossing, but i loved how the crankies were in wild world — they were cranky and brash to you without being too mean, but they would slowly warm up and start being nicer to you as your friendship with them increased. i wish they were still like that; it felt more realistic to me than them being all neighbourly and nice from the moment they move in.

i honestly don’t like how all the villagers act like they’re your best friend the moment you meet them. the normal and lazy villagers are one thing since they’ve always been like that, but i wish the villagers had more bite and personality to them like they did in past games. i’m not asking them to constantly roast me or have dialogue that makes kids cry or something, but sometimes i just want my snooty villagers to drag my outfit to filth, or for my peppy villagers to tell me i’m a loser lol. it’d be cool if their kindness and them caring for us was something that was gradually earned over time still, instead of them now wanting to make friendship bracelets from day 1
That reminds me of how the relationships work in Stardew, id really like to see them gradually warm up to you too

I really miss them being mean! Right now, they're cute old men who can't use computers. They're always cheerful, even if they don't know what's going on. It almost feels like they're a completely different personality. I miss them chewing me out for something stupid, or the snooties treating me like garbage for not being as fabulous as them. It made it so much more satisfying to befriend them and have them warm up to me. Now, it's honestly hard to tell how close we are when the dialogue is pretty much identical to the day they move onto the island...

Last edited:
I assume it’s because they were cranky in the GameCube version. It wouldn’t make sense to change the personality name in future games, so it was just kept the same.

Back in the days of Wild World, I wasn't a fan of crankies... at first. They were mean, and I was just a kid (about 11 or so). This feels weird, as Resetti was one of my favorite characters back then as well. But everything changed when Angus got sick. Back in the day, villagers would be sick for multiple days. So I brought him medicine for multiple days. One of those days, Angus said "I don't deserve friends like you!" while crying. This is why I love crankies, and want them to be cranky again.
Kabuki is my favorite cranky- due to Wild World. He was a cranky who pinged me while wearing my old (bad) designs I made at the Able Sisters, saying he loved my work. He was a cranky who gave me gifts for my birthday.
Honestly, I love the older crankies. However, I know some people may not want them to be that mean. For this reason, I want the next Animal Crossing game to have dialogue style choices. Pre-New Leaf, you could change how they sounded between the standard animalese, bebebese (a beeping like when you catch a fish), or silence (no sound while their dialogue showed up). You could change this without starting a new file. I want the next Animal Crossing game to act the same, but with the type of dialogue, not the sound. For example, you could chose between each main series dialogue style- GameCube, Wild World, City Folk/Let's Go to the City, New Leaf, and New Horizons. I'd pick the Wild World style every time. Sure, three of those would need new dialogue as Smug and Sisterly villagers didn't exist pre-New Leaf... but the rest could just have updated dialogue in that style. Like maybe update the lingo so it isn't as cringy when some villagers talk...
At any rate: They're called CRANKY villagers, not Tired old men. Let them be cranky, Nintendo!

Im really enjoying all these opinions

I think more so what Id like would be daily mood changes like in Stardew.

Because sometimes if you talk to your partner they'll say they aren't in a good mood and to leave them alone. So if ypu dont they get mad. So if I talked to static or any of my villagers and they were super moody and told me they were in a bad mood is more so what I want

I mean Im on boared with what @xara said about the whole friends right away thing. Id like that to be a build up too. Like im sure if there was a cranky update where the crankies were more close to their name,

I doubt Id see much change in my current three, might be a bit more moody dialougue but I dont think our relationship itself would change

Still wanna see Static screaming at random people to raise his vocal cords. I mean hes been Mr chatty squirrel lately and Sasha's pissed him off everytime they talk. So I can picture him screaming at random guys haha

Last edited:
Yeah crankies are kinda weird in this game. They act like old men who have just given up. Yeah they've always been old men but this time they just talk about how tired they are and it's weird somehow to me. It makes me just feel bad for them lol.

I sincerely miss rude villagers 😕 on GC they'd be downright rude to interact with acting their part. Snooty, cranky, jock. Now they're all kinds of samesey. Not that its BAD but it feels like villagers have less identity. I love the past games and the new ones but the changes are there.

Back