Help me pick a lipstick set for my sister-in-law!

UglyMonsterFace

Arize from Azulon
Bells
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Mom's Plush
Sheep Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
So my sister in law is half black and half asian and I've decided to buy her a lipstick kit for Christmas. However, I'm having a hard time picking out which kit to get since I want it to be perfect for her complexion. I'm full asian and more "yellow" toned than her and so the lipsticks I usually go for might not suit her. I would love some advice please!

I've found 2 lip kits that are affordable for me and I'll link some videos with some swatches of them:

Click: Marc Jacobs On The Dot
The woman in this video has a similar skin tone to my SIL and I think these colours look great on her. However, they seem to be shiny, and my SIL's lips are even fuller than the woman's in the video. I don't know if they would be too bold for her? She's not a very "showy" person although she has worn bolder shades of lipstick. Just not shimmery/shiny.

Click: NUDESTIX Nude Gloss Balm Kit
This lip kit is more natural and I think J Mama and Crave would be lovely on her (I could be wrong though), but I'm not sure about the peach one (Babe). I can't find swatches on a darker skin tone so it's really hard for me to tell. Also the price is printed right on the box D:

I know this is a weird thing to ask, but I know this is a very diverse forum and I'm hoping maybe someone out there has more experience shopping for this specific skin tone. I really want her to love the lipsticks I get her.

I'm also open to other suggestions! The only thing is I'd like it to be under $30 and have at least 2 lipsticks (3 is better), and hopefully something that Sephora carries. I'm on a pretty tight budget this month and I have a family of 8 to shop for hehe..

Last edited:
Hi! Holiday gift sets for lipstick are pretty good but yes, do have the issue of not always being suitable/preferable to the person. ),: The Marc Jacobs lipsticks are really creamy (as well as their lip pencils) but they're a bit too slippery for my liking. The intensity of the shades is really a plus though (I have pigmented lips lol)

Haven't tried the NUDESTIX products before but their shades are really nice for everyday -> event/glam use. What I've gotten for a friend is one of the BITE beauty mini lipstick sets (see here; as they're minis, it's easier to use up before they expire {BITE beauty uses food grade ingredients that expire a bit faster than other brands} and keep in your makeup bag.) The price point is also nice for what you get imo.

Last edited:
Hi! Holiday gift sets for lipstick are pretty good but yes, do have the issue of not always being suitable/preferable to the person. ),: The Marc Jacobs lipsticks are really creamy (as well as their lip pencils) but they're a bit too slippery for my liking. The intensity of the shades is really a plus though (I have pigmented lips lol)

Haven't tried the NUDESTIX products before but their shades are really nice for everyday -> event/glam use. What I've gotten for a friend is one of the BITE beauty mini lipstick sets (see here; as they're minis, it's easier to use up before they expire {BITE beauty uses food grade ingredients that expire a bit faster than other brands} and keep in your makeup bag.) The price point is also nice for what you get imo.

Ooh, those colours look pretty nice! I didn't even look at BITE because they used to be my favourite brand for lipstick until I developed a nasty allergy to them which made my entire collection unusable. I've steered away from the brand ever since! But that could probably work for my SIL ^_^ I'll check out some swatches. Thanks for the recommendation! <3

Ooh, those colours look pretty nice! I didn't even look at BITE because they used to be my favourite brand for lipstick until I developed a nasty allergy to them which made my entire collection unusable. I've steered away from the brand ever since! But that could probably work for my SIL ^_^ I'll check out some swatches. Thanks for the recommendation! <3

Ahhh no I'm so sorry that happened; allergic reactions are terrible and they also leave me wanting to get rid of the products and steer away from the offending brand as well. :c But yeah I think the BITE sets are good value especially since they come in a nice lil tin; much easier to wrap and no price printed on it that you'd have to conceal with some marker. If she's into liquid lipsticks, there are trio pack Stila ones that are within your range. I like the Stila ones personally; not my favorite but one of the first I tried. The wand applicator is also a nice size if your lips are full (it's a flat, paddle-style applicator).

I'm just your ordinary Joe but the last time I was around some Lipstick, it didn't taste so well. I am like really horrible with makeup. The worst. If you hand me some makeup right now, I would probably eat it. Especially, some mascara. I once found thus mascara in this lock drawer that smelled like peppermint but tasted like ink. I would rate it a 6/10 but like I said, I'm horrible with makeup.

Anyways from a male (gay) point of view, the Nudestix (2nd one) looks more beautiful than the first one. Bright colors look really beautiful on a person who has darker skin color as it stands out more imo. I told my friend Makayla the same thing when we went to go get our nails done and she got this beautiful yellow gel coat. However, nails are different then lipstick and I don't know much about this stuff so don't hit me.

However, you should be asking yourself one question: What kind of lipstick does your sister-in-law usually wear? Does she prefer bright lipsticks like in the 2nd one or does she prefer the bold, darker shade in the first video?

This is all I got to say. Either way, I know (or hope) your sister-in-law would love whatever lipstick you pick for her because it's the thought that counts. Just make sure to taste it first to make sure it's quality.

Ahhh no I'm so sorry that happened; allergic reactions are terrible and they also leave me wanting to get rid of the products and steer away from the offending brand as well. :c But yeah I think the BITE sets are good value especially since they come in a nice lil tin; much easier to wrap and no price printed on it that you'd have to conceal with some marker. If she's into liquid lipsticks, there are trio pack Stila ones that are within your range. I like the Stila ones personally; not my favorite but one of the first I tried. The wand applicator is also a nice size if your lips are full (it's a flat, paddle-style applicator).

Actually, I think I might go with your original suggestion (BITE beauty)! I just watched a video showing the swatches and I think the colours are lovely! I think that at least 3 of the colours would suit her. Thank you soooo much for the recommendation! You're the best <3

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm just your ordinary Joe but the last time I was around some Lipstick, it didn't taste so well. I am like really horrible with makeup. The worst. If you hand me some makeup right now, I would probably eat it. Especially, some mascara. I once found thus mascara in this lock drawer that smelled like peppermint but tasted like ink. I would rate it a 6/10 but like I said, I'm horrible with makeup.

Anyways from a male (gay) point of view, the Nudestix (2nd one) looks more beautiful than the first one. Bright colors look really beautiful on a person who has darker skin color as it stands out more imo. I told my friend Makayla the same thing when we went to go get our nails done and she got this beautiful yellow gel coat. However, nails are different then lipstick and I don't know much about this stuff so don't hit me.

However, you should be asking yourself one question: What kind of lipstick does your sister-in-law usually wear? Does she prefer bright lipsticks like in the 2nd one or does she prefer the bold, darker shade in the first video?

This is all I got to say. Either way, I know (or hope) your sister-in-law would love whatever lipstick you pick for her because it's the thought that counts. Just make sure to taste it first to make sure it's quality.

I've only seen my SIL wear darker matte/satin shades. Thank you so much for your input :)

Actually, I think I might go with your original suggestion (BITE beauty)! I just watched a video showing the swatches and I think the colours are lovely! I think that at least 3 of the colours would suit her. Thank you soooo much for the recommendation! You're the best <3

Fantastic. You're most welcome, good luck with the rest of your gift shopping and happy holidays. <3 c:

Back