• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Hardest Math

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
What was the hardest math class have you taken? We all know it gets harder as you progress further, but some mathematical concepts are harder than others.

For me, the two math classes that stumbled me the most are Introduction to Analysis and Statistical Inference. For the former, if you think Calculus was a monster, Analysis is an even bigger monster. It’s very proof-based, the theorems discussed may not make sense to an ordinary person (even to those that know Calculus well), and it involves a lot of limits, sequences, and series (which are the harder Calculus concepts). For the latter, every homework problem requires an entire piece of paper, and when you’re doing a statistical experiment, you’ll have to do explain every single step, including the parameter, why you chose a certain method, and what conditions you must reject the null hypothesis. The tests are no easier either.

Most of us wouldn’t have to go this far, but if you’re a math major or math graduate, I’m afraid you’ll have to take these kinds of courses.

i hate math, so I don’t know if I can pick a hardest one in terms of content. Here are the contenders:
-Algebra 2 (Junior year): only the first semester. It was really early and I fell asleep multiple times. Because I almost failed the first semester I was transfered to a lower level class. We did trig though and it was a breeze!
-College Gen Ed Math: a survey course I failed the first time and had to take again. The first few units (logic-based) were fine and dandy but the taxes unit just destroyed me.
-Pre Algebra (8th grade): I’m not sure if it was the hardest, but it was 100% without a doubt the worst with no competition due to bullying, extended time with no breaks, an airheaded incompetent teacher, and a windowless classroom. Honestly, it was the worst class I’ve ever taken, period.

Calculus...hands down, and I only took it until I didn't need to anymore. I'm confident with my math skills, but to this day I cannot figure out why I'd be maximizing the surface area of a cereal box with a 4x6 square cut out of it...

Newton's Law of Cooling was handy though. I like knowing how long it'll take for my freshly baked apple pie to reach room temperature in my basement.

simple: everything that isn't the basics (through division). math is my worst subject lol.

Back