• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Happy Home Designer - Frequently Asked Questions (Got a question? Look here!)

I still can't figure out how to dress a villager. When I pick them up while doing their house, there is no clothing icon or anything.

You have to be visiting them. Not designing for them

When you make a rug using custom designs, is there anyway to make it rectangular instead of square (without making it be several tiles)? I assume no, but wondered if I was missing something.

When you make a rug using custom designs, is there anyway to make it rectangular instead of square (without making it be several tiles)? I assume no, but wondered if I was missing something.

I don't think so but I wish you could.

Does anyone know who unlocks the wisteria trellis and the archway sculpture?

Aww that's such a shame, thanks for the info though. I wonder if there are any other public works that didn't make it in? I don't recall ever seeing the picnic blanket in any screenshots so maybe that's gone. Though now you can just put a rug down and place a basket and food on it so I guess it's redundant.

Last edited:
Aww that's such a shame, thanks for the info though. I wonder if there are any other public works that didn't make it in? I don't recall ever seeing the picnic blanket in any screenshots so maybe that's gone. Though now you can just put a rug down and place a basket and food on it so I guess it's redundant.

there's a picnic blanket rug with the same pattern as the acnl one, then you can just plop down a picnic basket and refurb some directors chairs and have almost the exact same thing

Also no bus stop/station/whatever, though I s'pose that falls under "pwp you can walk under"

Last edited:
What are some other sites people are trading amiibo cards on? I need like 5 more cards to complete the set and there seem to be very few people trading here.

What are some other sites people are trading amiibo cards on? I need like 5 more cards to complete the set and there seem to be very few people trading here.

I had no trouble completing my set here with all the trade threads going on; but I do know some people are also trading on reddit. There are also loose cards on ebay -- mostly for silly prices but I got a set of 6 I needed for $6 from someone who was just looking to get rid of their extras so it's worth looking.

if you're from the uk cex sell cards for alright prices

Just got the game and at the risk of sounding really stupid, I've been playing for a few hours now and I did the school but still can't seem to be able to use the blue laptop where I've read you get dlc and whatnot... is there a specific time this becomes available?

Just got the game and at the risk of sounding really stupid, I've been playing for a few hours now and I did the school but still can't seem to be able to use the blue laptop where I've read you get dlc and whatnot... is there a specific time this becomes available?

The blue laptop is on the second floor of Nook's Homes, on the left side. I don't remember how long it took to be able to use it, but it wasn't too long.

Last edited:
If you scan an amiibo card for a special character and design their house, does it add the character to your catalog and can you visit them whenever without scanning the card again?

Also, can you assign a special character a role in your buildings, or can you only do this with the normal villager cards?

If you scan an amiibo card for a special character and design their house, does it add the character to your catalog and can you visit them whenever without scanning the card again?

Also, can you assign a special character a role in your buildings, or can you only do this with the normal villager cards?

The special characters stay in your catalog and you can visit them whenever you want from that menu. You only need the card to summon the villagers to a location

Special villagers can not take roles in buildings but can visit villagers homes if that makes sense.

Can anyone tell him if there's a way for me to update the picture that the HHN uses for a house that I submitted, without having to edit the house?

You can take a new shot, set it to be the main pic, then re-upload the design to the hhn- I'm not sure if this will change the code# or re-set the scores.

You can take a new shot, set it to be the main pic, then re-upload the design to the hhn- I'm not sure if this will change the code# or re-set the scores.

It will change the code and reset the scores. The scores are not subtracted from your total though

Aw, okay. Thanks Fink and KitchenWhisk for answering my question. :]

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there's a complete list of all the requests somewhere? I think gyms and sports-related requests have to have the highest number of anything. It's getting really old. I'm curious exactly how many there are.

Back