Fire Emblem General

I've never played any of the Fire Emblem games. I heard Three Houses is really good, but can someone give their thoughts (excluding spoilers please)?

First things first fire emblem is obviously a strategy game which many don't seem to like. Also note they took a different approach with three houses and if you go back in the timeline of this franchises history you'll see how different this game this compared to the others. so keep that in mind. I personally loved it and dropped 200+ on the game and I can't wait to dwell into the new dlc route.

But I'm not going to lie doing the first part of the game 4 times isn't pretty but you can actually do it 3 times and just save during a specific route that branches into 2. At least if you make a new game+ file that first part can be bearable as its easier to rank up units skills and classes and recruiting other units from other classes. Another downfall I didnt like was the lack of customization for Byleth but its understandable why while watching cut scenes.

One of my favorite things was how I can class a unit to whatever (units do have class weaknesses though but it doesnt mean its a bad idea to go that way but they do level up their skills for that class slower) I wanted unlike past games where they have a specific class that branches to other specific classes.

Things dont start to get good until the second part when the war starts. Maps are reused throughout all 4 routes and aren't many new ones. Doing all four routes pretty much will sum up the whole story while 2 routes might be somewhat similar knowing specific things already while still learning new things on the way. Lastly there isn't a bad order to start any route but it is recommended to leave the church of seiros route for last.

To answer OP’s questions:

What are your favorite games?

I’ve played Awakening, Fates, Echoes, and Three Houses, but my favorite out of all of them so far is probably either Awakening or Three Houses.

Who is your favorite character?

It’s a toss up between Aversa from Awakening or Claude from Three Houses to be honest. Interesting choices, no?

Reviving this, but I just wanted to say I’m STILL working on completing all the routes in Fire Emblem Three Houses. I’ve been doing the DLC though, and I have been stuck on chapter two of the DLC on [Hard] [Classic] mode for the longest time. But just now I finally made it through without anyone dying, which I’m pretty happy about. Now I’m on chapter three out of seven in the DLC. Just curious, is anyone still playing the DLC or any of the routes besides me?

Hij62Ny.jpg

Last edited:
Just beat chapter three of the Fire Emblem Three Houses DLC on [Hard] [Classic] difficulty on my first try! That was strangely a lot easier than chapter two. Now I’m on chapter four out of seven. :giggle:

D9w8mmt.jpg

Lmao at Constance’s dejected expression. :LOL:

Played Fates & Three Houses, starting on Awakening soon. Three Houses is so much better than Fates, it hardly bears mentioning. I really like all the characters in Three Houses- each lord has complex motivations & backstory (especially Edelgard). The side characters are also more interesting: I found myself truly invested in their goals & relationships. Overall, I really think they took the lessons learned with Fates & applied them to 3H & smashed it out of the park.

I have more hours in Three Houses than any of my other switch games, lol & that number will go past 300 once I find the resolve to actually play Silver Snow lol. I finished the DLC maybe... early last month? Love the new characters & I want to see their supports- in fact, their supports are the only reason I'm playing church route lol. That & that I have yet to play maddening.

Awakening, Three Houses. Currently replaying Fates rn though

Edelgard and Byleth........

Excited for the Shin Megami Tensei spin-off?
Is this the one that came out in January?? There's another??

I am a long time Fire Emblem fan, I've been playing for roughly about 16 years. My biggest favorite is probably Fire Emblem: Blazing Blade due large in part to it being my first. It has my personal favorite cast of characters and some of the most memorable supports, and despite some complaints I find its plot engaging and interesting, a good beginner's game as far as older titles go. It's got better map design and character stat distribution than Binding Blade, but it's also not as easy to cheese as Sacred Stones (though these games are also great in their own right).

However, I'm also a huge, huge fan of the Archanea games overall. Shadow Dragon I feel is honestly an underrated gem, and Marth is a very interesting lord with subtle nuance that a lot of people overlook. He's more than just a sweetie pie Disney prince, he's deeply motivated, steadfast and puts the needs of his kingdom above all else. It's intriguing watching him struggle between his childhood naivete and the reality of war. New Mystery of the Emblem in turn is a fantastic sequel and fixes many issues that Shadow Dragon had. The new support system breathes new life into classic characters, the class system is still flexible and fun, I personally like Kris as an avatar character, and Hardin is a great and sympathetic villain.

Though I really want to say, Path of Radiance is, to me personally, the best written Fire Emblem game. The world building regarding class and races is so concise and compelling, the cast of characters widely varies in motivations and their character growth is satisfying, Ike as a lord is 100% the most compelling, the battle system has a lot of interesting quirks and details to keep track of such as biorhythm and height that keep battles engaging... I can go on and on and on. Path of Radiance is a superb game and a must-play for any Fire Emblem fan, old or new. It's just such a shame that it's so hard to obtain.

Honorable mention goes to Genealogy of the Holy War. I've come to just adore Jugdral games. Genealogy is definitely flawed and its plot plays out like a soap opera, but honestly, that's part of why it's so so so great. I love it as a people drama; generation 1 is the story of well-intentioned but short sighted young adults who are being manipulated by something bigger than themselves, and generation 2 is about their children dealing with the fallout of their parents' mistakes and dismantling the Loptr Cult once and for all despite all odds. Its cast is lovable, and as the game with the first marriage system, the pair options are interesting and thoroughly thought out and deliberate (unlike modern FE and their "everyone can marry anyone" approach which... frankly waters down relationships greatly, not a fan), and it's definitely unique within the franchise. I have my gripes with how it plays, such as the massive map design (it's a love it or hate it thing) and how cavalry focused it is, but Genealogy is fascinating and also something I feel Fire Emblem fans of all spades should check out if they haven't already. Especially new fans who got into Fire Emblem through Three Houses. Three Houses was directly influenced by Genealogy of the Holy War, like an art house spiritual successor.

I can't possibly choose just one, I just can't. However, I'm incredibly fond of Marth, Jamke, Shannan, Legault, Linus, Oscar, Soren and recently Caspar, in particular. Every game has its stand outs.

I've written entire essays on Marth and I could honestly do the same for all of my favorites, I'm very passionate, hahah.

Back