Efficient ways to Landscape?

Pimmy

Bells
I'm starting to think about tree and path organization, what are your ways of going about it? Stockpiling axes and trees and bushes? doing it one bit at a time? drawing out a map? I'm curious to hear!

I do three things at once
Carry my golden axe / shovel
Start paths at neighbors houses
Carry fruit and saplings

I begin by laying the path and then cutting and shoveling out any trees in the way.
I then plant fruit, trees and saplings/bushes as desired

Makes sense!

Do you save up saplings or flowers? Landscaping goes really slow cus I don't have a lot of spare flowers or trees...

If you put the beauty ordinance into effect, villagers will plant flowers and water them. I'd recommend putting down your paths and trees first and planting your flowers as you get more.

If you put the beauty ordinance into effect, villagers will plant flowers and water them. I'd recommend putting down your paths and trees first and planting your flowers as you get more.

The Beautiful Town Ordinance also reduces the players' chances of growing hybrid flowers, though, and personally, I think that'd be a huge drawback.
Honestly, I decided that if I want to lay down paths and such, I'm going to wait until after I have the villagers and PWPs I want, then lay down the paths afterwards. That way, I can focus more on making my town look the way I want it and less on whether or not the tile is straight, plus I won't have to worry about a new villager moving in and destroying the path work...Hopefully.

I should have thought to do as kuriso said. I did not, tho, but I am trying to fix my town now.
As for extra flowers, I just go on a lot of island tours and swipe as many as I want. That way you get them for free.
Now I am beginning to try and plan my layout better. I have all four character slots used to hopefully save the spaces I want the most for PWPs flower/hybrid sections later.

My first goal was to get a general idea how I wanted my paths to run and I made them with temporary paths (I plan on designing better ones later on).
After that I plant tree lines across pathlines, mountainlines, riverlines and plaza lines. In the mean time I built pwp`s, from which some are tempory and will be destroyed and rebuild on better locations.
Last for now I planted flowers along paths, around fountains, etc. I also just started with hybriding flowers (which I should ave started right away), this takes a lot of time because of the ordinance in play.
Next up in my planning is slowly adding hibiscus to the town layout to create kinda like secluded areas.

I definetly made it a point of attention to save up axes, since I don`t have the golden one yet and I have never seen a silver one. Also, it helps I didn`t risk losing the perfect town sttus to quickly get the golden watering can.

I call em highways, but it's a path one north to south and one east to west.
Then I connected the easiest buildings/houses, and kinda went from there.

I felt I needed structure before I could put my PWPs in my town because I didn't know where I wanted them.

It's really hard to get right once you're into game. Best plan is to think where PWP's would look good. Can't control villager houses. Plant bushes. I'm about to save all fruit and chop everything down. Plan for easy watering of flowers and traffic patterns.

When I did landscaping in my town I just stocked on bush starters and saplings until i got ideas on what to do. I like the outcome I've achieved.

And yes, I have drawn a map of my town quite a few times for planning, but for landscaping I never had to. I only did that for pwp's.

I felt I needed structure before I could put my PWPs in my town because I didn't know where I wanted them.
I'm the same. I had no idea where to put some things until I noticed some nice spots in relation to the paths I put down!

I've been stockpiling axes but that's about it so far, aside from paths and a few random tree movements. Currently I'm trying to reduce my diagonal paths, as fast and easy as they are, it doesn't really look good with most tiles! I might actually draw a map to decide where I want the picnic area and stuff... I only have a few bushes too

I'm the same. I had no idea where to put some things until I noticed some nice spots in relation to the paths I put down!

I've been stockpiling axes but that's about it so far, aside from paths and a few random tree movements. Currently I'm trying to reduce my diagonal paths, as fast and easy as they are, it doesn't really look good with most tiles! I might actually draw a map to decide where I want the picnic area and stuff... I only have a few bushes too

I'm the same way too~

I think putting paths down first is just...easier. I mean the way I put my paths, I chose them because they make SENSE to me there. I walk there a lot or I need it to go to a certain place for efficiency and esthetics... There's not many paths I'd get rid of because they were put there for a reason and I like my system~ But yeah I put paths down first then I planted a bunch of flowers, then started planting trees, then started planting and saving bushes. Golden shovel really helps for planting trees, so does a golden axe to clear trees... I wouldn't like landscaping as much without them. :p

I started by stockpiling axes and flowers/fruit from island tours. Eventually I got rid of all of my common flowers as I bred more hybrids. For shrubs, I got a ton of hibiscus starts from the island (went on a lot of elite scavenger hunts to earn medals!) and then started stockpiling shrubs from the garden center to sub them in later.

I use 2nd floor museum rooms to stockpile extra shrubs so that I can re-landscape easily any time that a new neighbor plops a house in an awkward location.

I don't use pattern paths but when I'm laying out new path sections, I do mark them out first to see how they look - either by digging holes or laying out rows of fresh fruit to see how my ideas look.

I also got over my resistance to demolishing projects, and now swap them around all of the time too.

Last edited:
Ack! I was dumb at first because I am a TOTAL packrat. I've been buying saplings and them selling them because I've used up all my storage, including all 4 museum rooms. Now I'm turning that around and selling stuff and realising that it is all catalogued. I am not normally a game player so this sort of thing did not occur to me and I just jumped in blind when my hubby bought me this wonderful game.

Now I joined this forum and am learning a lot. Now I save my saplings and such and am trying hard to make my town work out better. It doesn't have to be perfect, but right now it is a bit of an amateur mess.

I really could use that golden axe! I can't wait to get it. I wised up, tho, and began to stockpile axes. I can't believe how easily they break.

I put down my paths first, just to see how I could connect things. My town has a path that's 3 squares wide, since I like running xD Then I put trees and bushes down day by day (I didn't stockpile, mainly because I didn't really think about laying paths down until one day I saw a nice pattern!). I have demolished some PwPs to make room for my paths, but I've set up a couple PwPs too that fit in really well :) Streetlights can fit in especially well.

I have a bunch of hybrid flowers growing, and a couple more spring up every day so that makes me happy. I do have the beautiful ordinance though; I didn't know it reduced your chance of hybrids :c Might change ordinances now...

The Beautiful Town Ordinance also reduces the players' chances of growing hybrid flowers, though, and personally, I think that'd be a huge drawback.
Really? I think I actually managed to grow more hybrids with it in effect that I did with Bell Boom.

I did stockpile axes, trees and such, whilst also trying to breed some hybrids.While i was doing that i placed my paths and cutting down trees that were in the way. I mostly started my paths buildings and then connected them and then added more here and there. Then you can make room and look for good places where PwPs can go. Takes awhile but in the end the outcome is worth it, i guess. ^^

Back