• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Does anyone accidentally assume something irl is connected to a game?

QueenCobra

Gutted, rotted, Gila monster, BEAST!
Bells
For example, I thought Persona Cosmetics had to do with the game, and “Jojo Rabbit” had to do with JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure. (Not a game, but you know what I mean lol)

I can’t think of any particular examples, but I do think it’s very common to make connections like this. I think everyone does.

Kinda reminds me of that joke about the Sims-- when you forget why you walk into a room, that's because God paused his Sims. :ROFLMAO:

Sometimes I wonder if big celebrities or politicians play games like Vegas World or are behind some user accounts to feel 'normal' or 'fit in'.

Seriously could imagine Paris Hilton hitting up the online slots after a long day of girl business. Glass of champagne and a super fancy desk. Or that Elon Musk guy trolling on Habbo. Who knows? You know..

Sometimes I wonder if big celebrities or politicians play games like Vegas World or are behind some user accounts to feel 'normal' or 'fit in'.

Seriously could imagine Paris Hilton hitting up the online slots after a long day of girl business. Glass of champagne and a super fancy desk. Or that Elon Musk guy trolling on Habbo. Who knows? You know..
Omg me too. It’s not the same but I once read that Marlon Brando used to troll AOL chat rooms back in the 90s. I also read that Robin Williams named his daughter Zelda after the game. Paris Hilton is into NFTs now, which is kinda wild….😭

@QueenCobra I heard of Zelda! Lol didn't know that about Paris Hilton but I know she loves animal! All about rescues and stuff.
Who is Marlon Brando?
He was an actor who was in a lot of popular movies like A Streetcar Named Desire, The Godfather, Apocalypse Now. As a person he was a bit eccentric, but most talented artists are.

There are times I’ll see the word “Persona”on signs or in books and immediately think of the game series. It’s pretty much completely altered how I see the word. Same thing with “Legend.”

k9lz5yk6xhh71.jpg

-this thread

Animal Crossing with fish. My parents were talking about eating a mahi mahi and I instantly got excited lol.

Seconding AC and fish and also laughing at anything that says “Persona”. I also can’t go by a law firm without making some dumb Phoenix Wright joke in my head.
Not real life but I also thought the TBT Final Boss Feather was a clever reference to Sephiroth FFVII for a good bit. It’s only now dawning on me that it is absolutely not that haha

I learned what a persimmon was from ACNL, so I have never once not thought of new leaf when a persimmon is involved.

I don't have anything that I legitimately get confused with, or believe to be associated with a game when it isn't...but, there are definitely words that I associate with game-related things. Like..."Genesis". A very basic word. Means the starting point of something, etc...but, there will never be a point in time when I see that and don't immediately think about Sega. - I definitely played the Sega Genesis as a young child BEFORE I learned anything else about that word, and I think that early distinction is the reason why it's burned into my brain like that.

I don't think I ever got things mixed up like that, but I have seen or heard stuff that made me think of a certain game. Everyone does that. People connect with things because of our experience. For example whenever I smell bonfires it resurfaces memories of my times reenacting where I would be out in the plains with my reenacting group roughing it like they would back in the 1800s. That dirty woodsy smell always makes me think of that whenever I smell a fire.

This thread kind of reminds me when I was playing Star Fox. I think it was N64 version. Anyway I was flying around the stage and dodging the enemy ships shooting at me. I was also irl dodging left and right and thought 'Wait what am I doing? I'm not in danger. It's a game. Why are you dodging, you idiot?'

Back