• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

do you sell your games?

Do you like to trade/sell games when you're finished playing them?

• Yep! I like to get my money back/trade for new games.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Nope! I like to collect them/plan re-play them eventually.

Votes: 25 45.5%
  • Sometimes, but not always.

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Other choice, explain below...

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters
Sometimes. I don't understand why, but even when I absolutely hated the game, I always end up with some sort of seller's remorse.

Despite that, the main thing that keeps me from selling games is less to do with that and more to do with the fact that doing so is troublesome. When you're not being low-balled for less than a third of what the game is actually worth, they're harassing you for all kinds of different membership programs with marginal benefit, or asking you to take part in their surverys, or asking for personal information like your telephone number, or whatever else. Overall, selling games hasn't actually made it easier to afford newer ones, and the inconvenience of the process outweighs any benefit of doing so. So I just don't unless I'm really desperate.

I recently did just this and sold all of my 3DS games. It does take a while, but I use 'recently sold' statistics to price my games which are always in like-new condition. It's dependent on the game, but some I sold for more than I originally bought them for. I don't entertain lowball offers and block those that don't bother to read the ads.

I always bought physical copies of games because I liked displaying them. Now that I'm not really much of a collector, I always sell what I know I won't touch again (or haven't touched in 5+ years). I don't have any personal attachment to them and prefer someone else to enjoy something that I previously did. I've even had a few buyers that stopped to chat for 10-15 minutes about the game, their favorites, what they like in games, and what they plan to play next.

Whenever possible, I still buy any Switch game I want to play physically with the intention to sell it later.

Yes! Back in the day I used to not because big gaming collection! Pretty shelf! But when I was moving halfway across the country for a year, it kind of opened my eyes to just having excess stuff that mainly just sits there that I don't use. So I sold a handful of games I never played anymore and were worth a lot of money to help pay for the move.

When I came back it further cemented the idea because I obviously didn't take everything with me...and didn't miss most of it. So I purged my collection about 75%-85%ish, including consoles. I keep the games that I get nostalgic for and want to replay often, but the rest have gone to new homes, and I still have a bit more I am thinking of letting go of.

Even now, with Switch games being $90 after tax, I do a lot of game trades (1 for 1 with a person, not trading-in to a store) if I feel like I'll never pick up the game again. I am anti digital games because of this, would rather be able to trade/sell. 😅

I think the last time I sold a game or anything from my collection was over 10 years ago. I've dedicated most of my life to collecting video games so I can't really see any reason to part with for the time being. I loan a lot of it out to friends and family so it's not like it's all just sitting on shelves collecting dust and collecting is just a big hobby for me.

I buy mostly digital games these days since they don't take up any physical space and they're typically harder to lose. I haven't sold any of my older games since I tend to return to them every once in a while due to nostalgia. Excluding the Gamecube which has its own small shelf, they really don't take up too much room (just a shoebox in the closet). So I guess I never really thought too much about letting go of them yet.

I've never sold a game before. I don't buy a lot of games so it's never become a problem for me to hang on to them. There are maybe a couple of games in my collection I would be willing to let go of but I am too lazy to put in the effort to sell them.

Usually I never do because the return is never what I put out for it. I had a cousin who took a bag worth of games to Gamestop years ago. They barely got anything back for most games. Sometimes it was something insane like a quarter or a few dollars. And they still didn't have enough to buy even one game after the full bag was calculated.

There were a few times that I knew someone wanted a game I had so I sold it to them for $20 or above, but most times they're not worth selling.

I don't think I ever have. I've traded games back and forth with friends but never sold one.

When hard times hit in the past… Yes.

I used to sell my old games all the time so that I could use the money from them to get new ones. I only ever sold games I didn't like or knew that I would never play again. Now, I buy almost exclusively digital so there isn't anything to sell. Thankfully, I've never sold any games that I regretted to sell!

Maybe when I was younger I sold some games. But nowadays I wouldn't. Never know when I may want to play it again, or maybe someone else would want to play it. Besides, it's nice to grow a collection of games.

in the past, i've sold old games that i no longer play / bought but never really picked up via selling sites. plan to continue doing it !

I used to sell my game consoles when I was a kid/tween/teen to buy the upgrade (for example I sold the DSI and bought the XL, then sold that to buy the 3Ds XL). I seel them to second-hand technology stores. I sold my PSP because I no longer played and along with that I sold my PSP games and camera. However, I have always loved nintendo and knew I would replay old games so I never sold those and I am glad I didn't. I think you might always replay if they were fun ! I would only sell games I didn't really like or that I regret buying.

No, I've never sold any of my games and don't plan on ever selling them. Even though there admittedly are a good chunk of games I'll likely never play again, you never know when you'll get an itch to play one of the games you currently own.

I sell the majority of my games upon completion. I keep hold of games I think I'll play again, but the majority of the time once I've 100% completed a game it's unlikely I'll return to it. I also do the same thing with books to minimise clutter.

I used to all the time with a huge reason being that I needed to so I could buy new games, not to mention get rid of any stinkers.

These days I don't.

One reason being I don't really have to worry about affording new games anymore. I'm not rolling in cash but I'm also not finding myself having to get rid of my things to buy new things anymore. If I want a new game, I'm no longer sat at my shelf wondering what I can and want to get rid of.

Another I think is that I don't really tend to buy games I dislike. I guess experience plays a part, I know what to look for in marketing media as well as having reviews to help me out, especially since I rarely buy games on release and end up having a few months of the game being on the market to see what people felt like after the launch window where people are often either more critical or giving of praise.

Lastly...I'm pretty much all digital these days. I don't recall the last time I bought a physical game, all I know is that it would have been a Nintendo exclusive one as they're pretty much the only games I buy physically anymore. I can't trade in digital games and...Yano what, I've not found myself wishing I could either.

I've never sold a game now that I think about it. For some reason the thought never even crossed my mind... Even though I know I won't go back to many of the games, I also know I'm such a nostalgic person that I don't think I could part with any games I've gotten and I do like seeing my collection grow over the years.

I generally don't sell games once I purchase them. I don't buy that many games and what I do buy tends to be from series that I enjoy. If it's something new, whether a standalone game or from a series I haven't delved into before, I'll look more into gameplay, reviews, public opinion and such before purchasing to make sure that I'll probably enjoy the experience. A lot of stuff I own has replay value, whether it be through different story routes, affection for the game, gameplay, wanting to revisit a story and/or New Game Plus incentives to make replaying something a more appealing prospect.

That said, I have sold games in the past when it was something that I felt like I'd probably never play again, especially if I had my eye on something else. For example, I found out I really sucked at Mario Golf World Tour and I also got kind of nervous about playing Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS because of all of the reports of people absolutely destroying their circle pads. I decided to sell those and part of the proceeds went toward an amiibo in the store that I wanted at the time. This isn't a common occurrence though.

Back