• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Delta Air Lines loses tax credit for jet fuel after vote in Georgia state legislature

nintendofan85

Good grief.
Bells
Switch
7144-2399-2801
Green Candy
Red Candy
Tasty Cake
Winter Mittens
Ancient Candle
Pumpkin Cupcake
Voodoo Doll
Recently, in the aftermath of the shooting near Miami, Florida, Delta Air Lines agreed to cut a deal that had been made with the NRA (National Rifle Association) here in the United States that gave discounted fares to its members, mainly for group travel. Because of the end of this deal, the lieutenant governor in Georgia, the state where Delta is based (the company is headquartered in Atlanta) has ended a tax break the state gives the airline for the jet fuel put in the planes at the airports in the state, and this is crucial for Delta because not only is the airline based in Atlanta, but it also runs its largest hub there and Delta's operations at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport have made it be the world's busiest airport for the last twenty years since 1998. When I first flew in 2005, my layover was at that airport, and literally has developed to the point where it has become a city of its own. The airport is crucial to many jobs in the area and I don't see much good coming out of this decision by the GA state legislature. Part of the reason for this happening is because the state's lieutenant governor, Casey Cagle, is running for a gubernatorial term in his own right this November as the incumbent governor, Nathan Deal, is term limited, and Cagle wants to declare that "corporations should never attack conservatives". This decision by the state legislature makes me pretty mad because while I don't live in either the Atlanta area or GA, I have been to the area and in the airport many times and lives just three hours away in Huntsville, Alabama. Atlanta doesn't have the highest rates of employment, particularly in the years after the Great Recession, either. What are your thoughts?
Here's an article for more information.

Last edited:
Had no idea that this was going on, but not surprised that the Hartsfield-Jackson Int'l Airport is that busy. I had a layover there in December and February, and both times I barely made it to my next plane

I'd only heard the reactionary stuff-- like other states saying they'd welcome Delta headquarters should they leave; I didn't know the specifics of it. :/

I've never flown myself so I honestly can't imagine the scale you're talking about, but it's terrible that so many people are getting caught in the middle of something like this.

I used to live in Atlanta, great city, but that state is definitely run by backwards rednecks, all elbowing and shoving each other to see who can be the most backwards in order to garner the Bubba vote. also, Georgians by their nature are an angry people....

Last edited:
I used to live in Atlanta, great city, but that state is definitely run by backwards rednecks, all elbowing and shoving each other to see who can be the most backwards in order to garner the Bubba vote. also, Georgians by their nature are an angry people....

Unfortunately, I can say that for most of the South... Here in Alabama, we're lucky that we have Doug Jones as our senator. If Roy Moore had been elected, it would've been terrible.

This tweet:

Mrs. Betty Bowers
@BettyBowers
?
Republican Party Motto:

“We believe in small government that doesn’t interfere with businesses or personal liberties — unless you don’t share our extremist views on guns, gods, gays and gynocology.” "

Explains the South in a nutshell?

One thing about this lady is that she said video games are the reason for gun violence.... So what she is saying is that because AC has an axe, those who play video games will use axes to kill irl? That's her logic. I know she probably meant certain games, but her logic is basically stating that video games are the reason for the shootings... Which is not entirely.

i saw that.. don't understand how it's legal for them to punish delta with laws that way out of petty corrupt motives.. it's also really dumb, cause it will result in lawsuits against these politicians and lots of people will lose jobs and flight prices will go up.. if delta doesn't decide to move altogether.. hope they are voted out since they clearly don't act in the best interest of their residents.. midterms are soon!

i saw that.. don't understand how it's legal for them to punish delta with laws that way out of petty corrupt motives.. it's also really dumb, cause it will result in lawsuits against these politicians and lots of people will lose jobs and flight prices will go up.. if delta doesn't decide to move altogether.. hope they are voted out since they clearly don't act in the best interest of their residents.. midterms are soon!

I agree! Their actions are so unconstitutional. It's illegal for the government to interfere in businesses lol.

I don't see anything illegal about it, they were going to pass some kind of tax waiver or tax credit but changed their minds.

Asinine, yes; illegal, no.

Yup! Same here in Florida. These people are nuts.

I remember before a hurricane hit, reading headlines about flesh eating worms, a dude tripping on bath salts eating a guy's face, blood-drinking juggalos, and a few other things I've forgotten.

Back