• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

DearMoon.tbt || ⭐ A reference request thread for space art ⭐

Mick

Stellar Wild Child
Staff
Artist
Bells
Island
Narnia
Blue Bunny Balloon
Yellow Bunny Balloon
Green Bunny Balloon
Red Bunny Balloon
Silver Star Glow Wand
Blue Train Engine
Yellow Caboose
Sleek Train Car
Floral Train Car
White Crescent Moon

Moon.png

SUMMARY: Seeking references for characters who would like to go to space

Greetings TBT and happy (lunar) new year! In 2023, eccentric billionaire Yusaku Maezawa is hoping to fly the first civilian mission around the moon, after having recruited 8 people from the general public to accompany him on his trip to space. Here's the thing: I sincerely doubt that this will happen this year and also I want to, and I will, beat him to it.

Like Maezawa, I just need a crew. That's where you come in. Also I do not have a spaceworthy camera, but I will report back to you with artworks as proof that this trip actually happened. Hopefully we will be first. We will go down in history. Thank you for choosing NARSA! The safest and only space program on Narnia. 🚀🌟

What we need from you is:

1. A character reference.
2. A short description of this character. What are they like? What do they (not) like? And why do they want to go?
3. Knowing they won't be home for a while: what would they choose to bring with them?
4. Since I cannot do this alone: what skills or qualities do they have that you believe would make them useful on this trip?
5. I'll need to know how much creative freedom I can take with your characters. Please refer to the application form below.

Code:
[TABLE][TR][TD][B][COLOR=rgb(41, 105, 176)]1. [/B]References:[/COLOR]
(references here)

[B][COLOR=rgb(41, 105, 176)]2. [/B]Character description. What are they like? What do they (not) like? Why do they want to go?[/COLOR]
(write here)

[B][COLOR=rgb(41, 105, 176)]3. [/B]What would they choose to bring with them?[/COLOR]
(write here)

[B][COLOR=rgb(41, 105, 176)]4. [/B]Why do you believe they might be useful on the crew/deserve to go to space?[/COLOR]
(write here)

[B][COLOR=rgb(41, 105, 176)]5. [/B]If you have any particular preference on points like below, please let me know! Otherwise, feel free to remove/ignore this part.[/COLOR][SIZE=3]
- Are you okay with your character's outfit being swapped/stylised to something more space-appropriate?
- Are you okay with your character appearing in an artwork with other participants, or exclusively alone?
- Do you want me to contact and update you/review sketch poses/concepts, or can I just do whatever?
[/SIZE][/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

DISCLAIMER.
So Mick, what the heck is this? Well, this is my project/excuse to draw more this year. Let's see how many members of the public I can 'put into space' before the end of the year!

⭐ My art style may be inconsistent/experimental. It's why I'm doing this for free, this is practice! Let's justify it by saying the consistency will be in the space theme.
⭐ This is NOT a first come first served thing. Depending on the amount of response this thread gets, 'going to space' is not even guaranteed. Sorry. 😔
⭐ Entries will mainly be picked on references and form answer originality but I could potentially be bribed with star fragments, tbt for the star fragment fund, or art trades.
⭐ I will be open to attempting most characters, unless your references are NSFW which will get you in forum trouble. 🔨
⭐ More than one character may be submitted. I am unlikely to draw them all.

Mick!! Omg, this is great!! I’d love to see my character go to space! It’s technically my AC: PC rep, but I’m going to be integrating her into an OC storyline after I finish my children’s book.

1. References:
767559FF-39B0-4F39-9FE9-28716C3A8154.jpeg

2. Character description. What are they like? What do they (not) like? Why do they want to go?
In-game, her name is Fox. In my OC vision, her name is Luna. She is a green-eyed, sweet-natured animal lover who lives for the stars. She studies astrology, astronomy, language, and art, and there’s nothing she loves more in the sky than the Aurora Borealis. She doesn’t like disagreements, onions, pickles, or ketchup. She wants to go to space to get as close as possible to what she lives for - the stars! 💖✨

3. What would they choose to bring with them?
She would bring her pet cat, and her kitty plushie, both of which she takes everywhere with her. Though some say they are one and the same. No one is really sure though.

4. Why do you believe they might be useful on the crew/deserve to go to space?
I believe Fox/Luna would be useful on the crew to go to space because of her astronomy background. She brings a breath of fresh air and positivity everywhere she goes, while also remaining grounded in truth and fact. This makes her an exceptional friend and ally.

5. If you have any particular preference on points like below, please let me know! Otherwise, feel free to remove/ignore this part.
- Are you okay with your character's outfit being swapped/stylised to something more space-appropriate?
Yes, but keeping her signature wings would be fabulous. If not, at least having her signature hair out of her helmet would be great!
- Are you okay with your character appearing in an artwork with other participants, or exclusively alone?
Absolutely! Or I wouldn’t be here 😁
- Do you want me to contact and update you/review sketch poses/concepts, or can I just do whatever?
You can do whatever!

This is a fun idea! Are you looking to draw any type of characters in particular? Are you looking for original characters only, or would characters from other places like movies/games/books/etc. be acceptable? Are you wanting to draw humanlike characters? Animals? Other stuff? Are you looking specifically for visual references, like images, or would written references work? Just trying to narrow ideas down, and that will depend on what you were wanting. ^o^;>

Heya Mick, here's someone who would really like to come along. Are space bunnies allowed to board? Lmk!

1. References:
Their story is rather curious, as they can't seem to remember large chunks of their life or identity. This is a great source of distress, as this bunny can't even remember their name. I have started to call them Basil, but I'm not sure if this name sparks joy. They apparently just spawned into existence one day, on a desolate and dead planet. The only living creature around was Fred, the little yellow birb, who got lost as a chick during his winter migration to warmer galaxies.

spacebun.jpeg

2. Character description. What are they like? What do they (not) like? Why do they want to go?
Basil doesn't talk much, but seems to have an infatuation with plants and botany. When in distress, they tend to glitch - meaning they have trouble materializing and staying in one spot (which usually makes them even more distressed). Consequently they enjoy calm and meditative activities and dislike stressful situations. I think joining a crew will give them a sense of belonging and seeing new worlds might help them find out more about their past.

Their best buddy Fred - a tiny birdlike creature, quite similar to our earth ducklings. The two have been inseparable ever since they first met. Fred doesn't take up a lot of space, but has a big personality (making up for Basil's lack thereof lol).

Basil (and Fred) are lost, there is no other way to put it. They haven't got a home, or anywhere to go, or any idea who they truly are. I believe a trip with your crew would be just what they need to come out of their shell and be a bit braver. As for useful skills, both Basil and Fred know their way around space really well (being born there and all), so they can be a valuable addition to any space crew. Together they are excellent at navigating through meteor showers (Basil on the steering wheel and Fred giving instructions) and they know where to find useful resources on deserted planets. I think with some patience, training and kind encouragement, Basil's glitching could turn into a big advantage and valuable skill - if they can overcome the fear connected to it. Maybe teleportation could become a possibility?

5. If you have any particular preference on points like below, please let me know! Otherwise, feel free to remove/ignore this part.
- Are you okay with your character's outfit being swapped/stylised to something more space-appropriate? ya, I mean so far the only thing they are wearing is a space helmet and some bandages. Feel free to add clothes, but I can't promise Basil will keep them on permanently.
- Are you okay with your character appearing in an artwork with other participants, or exclusively alone? anything goes
- Do you want me to contact and update you/review sketch poses/concepts, or can I just do whatever? I LOVE seeing the process because as a fellow artist this sorta stuff just excites me, but you have my full trust uwu

6. My own two cents:
I'd love to art trade with you, if you are interested :3 I love space and anything space themed, so drawing for you would be right up my ally.

1. References:
1690480782858.png

My pikmin character is smol, cute and loves all pikmins. HATES scary stuff, especially the dark! The glow pikmin come in handy for this

PIKMIN OBVS and oatchi

can literally control pikmin (wow), they're tiny and fast, good at getting tasks done

- Are you okay with your character's outfit being swapped/stylised to something more space-appropriate? yes
- Are you okay with your character appearing in an artwork with other participants, or exclusively alone? don't mind
- Do you want me to contact and update you/review sketch poses/concepts, or can I just do whatever? do whatever u want, I'm excited to see : )

Oh no, it got bumped.
Sorry for going silent on this one, life happened earlier this year and this project was put on hold. ("neglected" would have been the more honest term but let's go with the other wording oops).

edit: sorry nvm this is old lol I need sleep

I was actually planning on reviving this thread/project in a week or so once my TBT camp workload is a little lower, so feel free to drop a reference!

Oh ok sweet!
1. References:
IMG_0198.jpg

original_8f3601f8-84f4-4e82-9a55-8a5acdccfa2d_2023072701591800-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Shuckles is kind and adventurous with the coordination of a dizzy rhino. She is often found tripping over nothing and dropping things all over town. She is extremely forgetful, often not remembering events or where she put the item she just had. She likes animals, tea, and dinosaurs. She dislikes carrots, loud noises (easily startled) and is terrified of bees after being stung one too many times. Shuckles wants to go to space for the sense of adventure, opportunity to meet new creatures, and because there are no bees.

Shuckles often packs light as she loses most things anyway. She would bring her teddy bear backpack and her stuffed dinosaur.

While it may not seem like a good idea to bring someone who is clumsy and forgetful to space, Shuckles has a few traits that may prove useful. She is decent in biology which may assist when encountering new alien life, and she will always keep you and your crew on your toes by occasionally forgetting to properly secure the airlock.

Of course
Of course
You can do whatever

This sounds like fun and I found an old OC that I think would be perfect for this.

Meet Starla:
1. References:
1690680223277.png
1690680241169.png

Starla has always had an interests and stars ever since discovering her true heritage. She isn't from Earth and has tried everything to figure out where in the universe is her home planet. The only clue she has is her headband, which in reality is tiara from royalty which signifies her as a princess. She has researched countless volumes of space documents, articles, books, and artifacts and is very knowledgeable about the information involving space. She can be a bit of bookworm and shy at first, but if you have gained her trust, she'll totally be your best friend. She just had a shield up to protect herself. She hopes this trip can lead her to more information about her true home.

Books, whether stories and research. And her headband. She goes nowhere without those.

Well, she is from outer space originally. And she has valuable space knowledge.

- Are you okay with your character's outfit being swapped/stylised to something more space-appropriate? Yes, but the headband/tiara stays. Everything else I'm okay with being swapped/stylized.
- Are you okay with your character appearing in an artwork with other participants, or exclusively alone? Starla can appear with other characters, or alone if need be.
- Do you want me to contact and update you/review sketch poses/concepts, or can I just do whatever? If you have questions, I am here to answer. Otherwise, you can do what you need to :)

ooo I wanted to post here but thought maybe it was dead. Well in that case!

1. References:
(references here)
PXL_20201216_011535371.MP.jpg
HslUpFG.jpg

Roxie is a bit of an enigma. Political figurehead for the Avalar Archipelago whose face is obscured by a gas mask 99% of the time. She's either paranoid, or knows something we don't. Roxie appreciates all things high class, and she herself exudes an air of opulence, perhaps falling just short of tackiness. The opportunity to be on the first civilian mission around the moon was too tantalizing for her to resist.

A mysterious silver briefcase which she goes to great lengths to hide the contents of. Various instruments of science.

Roxie is natural leader who thrives at persuading others. She's also cunning, and creative and thusly she can provide useful, if unorthodox, solutions for what issues that may arise on our mission.

Feel free to take whatever artistic liberties you'd like, just needs the signature gas mask and hair.

Last edited:
Back