Balloon Observations or How I Got The 14 Cherry Blossom Recipes

Bells
Switch
6290-0835-1909
Fortune Cookie
Oarfish Head
Oarfish Tail
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
I know several people have done guides abt how to get the sakura recipes. I just wanted to tell you what I noticed in my quest for them and how I did it (no TTing). It took almost 3 days of nonstop farming, but I did eventually find more efficient ways to do it. They worked for me, I don't know if they will work for you but its worth a try if you haven't found any yet, I guess.

I started taking breaks from the game more often, as I noticed recipes appeared in the first or second balloon after I loaded up my game, and when I got into a rut of only yellow and a few blues, I quit and waited for some time to see if the pattern changed to multi colored, as red and green carried recipes more frequently.
In the Y/B rut they spawn about once an hour. With multicolor config you can get around 2 an hour. so its still a matter of grinding A LOT.

First: How do you farm balloons?
1. Find which side of the beach the balloons are coming from. Hang around town and see which way the balloons are going and walk to the opposite beach. Please notice that at 6pm the direction will change and they’ll start spawning on the other side.
2. Wait until the clock goes to either xx:x0 or xx:x5 and walk along the shore, turn on the volume to listen for balloons.
3. Repeat from 2. Some people say they appear in 10 min intervals or 5 min intervals, but the truth is it's both and it's not constant. It can switch and you can find a 15 min interval in which no solid colored balloon will appear as the pattern adjusts to 5 or 0 ending. Personally I checked every 5 minutes while I watched tv.
4. If you are kind of certain a balloon spawned at, say 2:05, but you were too far away from the beach you can probably catch up on cuadrant 3-4 (if your balloons are spawning from the left beach) on your map 3 minutes after it spawned, meaning at 2:08. That's where I caught on.

Tips from my own observations
Sometimes your game will enter a rut in which it will only spawn blue and yellow balloons. I know A LOT of ppl complain about this. It’s annoying and not ideal for the purpose of finding recipes. I recommend to wait (or tting) for a few hours or to the following morning and see if the pattern changes. It’s not impossible to get recipes in yellow balloons but it’s not common. In this pattern I would get about one recipe an hour. I don’t tt, so I just started quitting after I noticed it and loaded up later.

In my case, red and green balloons were super scarce but carried recipes kind of more often than yellow ones. Yellow ones drove me nuts tbh i hate getting bells.

I’m not sure why, but I seemed to get a wider variety of balloon colors in the mornings, and I got more recipes than after 12pm where I would mostly get y/b balloons. With a multicolored pattern I would get around 2 recipes an hour. But still, it's more exciting to get furniture here and there than just getting 1,000 bells over and over.

But I started to make progress getting the recipes when I noticed something: if I stopped playing and turned it on sometime later, the first or second balloon would carry recipes. Most of the times it worked. I would load the game, wait by the beach until the clock hit xx:x0 or xx:x5, and the first or second solid balloon (usually the second) would yield a recipe! Idk if it will be the same for you but if you are not getting anything it's worth a try! Wait for the first 2 or 3 balloons when you load your game and see if you get someting.

You can thank the quarantine for this information- I was so bored out of my mind that I even charted half of april 3rd and a part of april 4th and wrote down every balloon I got, the time and the content. The grey highlight means I closed the software, did something else and put the game on again. I didn't chart the bunny balloons which seemed to spawn every other minute. I just charted them when I felt they replaced the solid colored balloon, bc they would spawn at the time the solid one was supposed to but didnt.

Here's a pic of my chart

I think its kind of mean of nintendo to make them SO DIFFICULT to get. Right now a lot of us are stuck home, but how will we get these event recipes later with work and school?
If you have any observations, feel free to comment and ask stuff.
Also, my bf swears he saw a purple balloon floating in the opposite direction. he couldn't pop it bc he says it was already in the ocean and abt to dissapear from the screen. Have you seen it? did ya pop it, what was inside?

DISCLAIMER: I am no expert, these observations are just something I observed, and do not mean that this is the way the game works, this is just how I got the 14 recipes after 3 days. Be patient guys!

Last edited:
I was trying to grind them today for a few hours. I mostly got yellow balloons. Whenever I did get a DIY recipe, it was always a sakura one though.

I managed to get 3 recipes today. 4 more left. Ugh. The upside is I restocked my fish bait supplies while waiting for the balloons to spawn.

That thing about stopping playing and starting up again...when I got the Sakura Wood Flooring this afternoon when I started the game up AND the Cherry Blossom Pochette when I started playing this morning? I thought that was just the random luck of the RNG playing nice. I wonder if collecting a recipe, saving, quitting and loading up the game could end up being the trick to quickly getting the recipes?

I haven't gotten a single duplicate yet and all I'm missing are the Bonsai, Petal Pile, Umbrella and Wand recipes.

Thanks so much for this post. I've been painstakingly searching for recipes with no luck at all the past few days. I'll try out your methods and see if I have some success!

That thing about stopping playing and starting up again...when I got the Sakura Wood Flooring this afternoon when I started the game up AND the Cherry Blossom Pochette when I started playing this morning? I thought that was just the random luck of the RNG playing nice. I wonder if collecting a recipe, saving, quitting and loading up the game could end up being the trick to quickly getting the recipes?

I haven't gotten a single duplicate yet and all I'm missing are the Bonsai, Petal Pile, Umbrella and Wand recipes.
IKR? i thought it was just luck at first but there seems to be a pattern. I don't know if starting getting it quitting and repeating would work... someone should try it. Honestly I can't stand another balloon for now I am super done.
Also duplicates are super rare. I only got one.

I don't mind working for them to be honest. I guess if I can't finish obtaining all the items, I'll trade. But I do think there should be more of a fair balance.
For example, I personally feel that the bunny event is WAY too easy. I unlocked all the recipes in like a day - I'm just waiting on the last 3 that Zipper will give me on the 12th now. So that required 0 challenge and now I pretty much just ignore all the bunny day balloons and don't even bother harvesting the eggs (I suppose I'll try to craft a few more furniture pieces for later trades but with how the event is going, I don't see them being sought after).

IKR? i thought it was just luck at first but there seems to be a pattern. I don't know if starting getting it quitting and repeating would work... someone should try it. Honestly I can't stand another balloon for now I am super done.
Also duplicates are super rare. I only got one.

I'm getting ready to do an atlas moth hunt on Mystery Tour island (and invite my 9th villager to move in) but after I sell my haul to the Brothers Nookling, I might try the save, quit, reload thing to see if it works.

I don't mind working for them to be honest. I guess if I can't finish obtaining all the items, I'll trade. But I do think there should be more of a fair balance.
For example, I personally feel that the bunny event is WAY too easy. I unlocked all the recipes in like a day - I'm just waiting on the last 3 that Zipper will give me on the 12th now. So that required 0 challenge and now I pretty much just ignore all the bunny day balloons and don't even bother harvesting the eggs (I suppose I'll try to craft a few more furniture pieces for later trades but with how the event is going, I don't see them being sought after).

I also think it's unballanced, and nintendo should do something to make them easier to get for ppl who can't grind for hours on end. I also got the bunny day stuff super quick, it was almost too easy.

Thx for this post!!! So far I am getting a whole lot of eggs and bunny day recipes. 😔 But I’ll keep going until the 10th!!!

Whats wrong with blue balloons? I can understand disliking yellow balloons since they seem to always carry Bells, but I've gotten furniture and sakura recipes from blue balloons.

i've gotten five of them so far but none have come since - only eggs and bells/clay!! i will try this, thank youuu!

That’s interesting! So you just do a reset each time and the game gives out two? I thought it really came down to RNG as well.

It really is frustrating how rare these recipes are. Having them spawn alongside the Bunny Day ones is particularly frustrating.

That’s interesting! So you just do a reset each time and the game gives out two? I thought it really came down to RNG as well.

It really is frustrating how rare these recipes are. Having them spawn alongside the Bunny Day ones is particularly frustrating.
In my chart I found it happened 5 times, and off chart I got like 2 more in that way. Now that I've collected everything it seems I'm not getting any recipes anymore though.
Post automatically merged:

Whats wrong with blue balloons? I can understand disliking yellow balloons since they seem to always carry Bells, but I've gotten furniture and sakura recipes from blue balloons.
for me they mostly spawn materials :/ I only got one recipe from a blue balloon, and furniture once.

I've gotten 0 recipes outside the one Isabelle gives you. I also seem to exclusively get only bunny day balloons. I can't play long enough to farm them every day, so I feel like I'm going to end up missing out.

I managed to get all 14 recipes with 6 to 7 hours of balloon farming this weekend. Not all at once, over 3 sessions. Yellow and green were definitely the worst while red and blue seemed to be the best. Day time was also far more lucrative, but that could just be how my luck rolled.

thank you for sharing this data! It's super interesting :O I dont mind the bunny day event's length, but the fact that it overlaps with the sakura stuff is awful and I wish they planned it out better. Regardless I'm gonna try doing some grinding of my own starting tomorrow knowing this, I feel a lot more confident in making the most out of my time now and not just hopelessly keeping my game open all day looking back every 5 minutes x'D

I managed to get all 14 recipes with 6 to 7 hours of balloon farming this weekend. Not all at once, over 3 sessions. Yellow and green were definitely the worst while red and blue seemed to be the best. Day time was also far more lucrative, but that could just be how my luck rolled.
I've noticed daytime, and specially mornings, were the best. At least for me

Thanks everyone for these posts, especially ellienoise! Back during cherry blossom season, I only got 5 of the recipes. Yesterday, I TT’d back to April 1st to get the remaining recipes. I waited for the balloons to spawn and got only 3 recipes for quite a whiled. I also tried TT’ing a few hours or a day ahead every so often when I felt balloons weren’t spawning quickly.

In the end, once it hit midnight on April 3rd, I got 5 recipes within an hour and a half without any duplicates. I’m just waiting on one more recipe! Thanks for all the help :)

Last edited:
Back