• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

I know that New Leaf doesn't like placing villager houses near the Mayor's Office, but exactly what is the radius/perimeter around the Mayors Office that houses cannot be used for villager housing?

I know that New Leaf doesn't like placing villager houses near the Mayor's Office, but exactly what is the radius/perimeter around the Mayors Office that houses cannot be used for villager housing?

By the mayor's office do you mean your house? Or the town hall?

I'm looking for a furniture database. I came across MoriDB (which still exists to my surprise) but I'm wondering if there is an app or something.

How do I take a picture on my DS and save it elsewhere? I know you can take a picture and save it with Miiverse but it doesn't seem to work for me.

How do I take a picture on my DS and save it elsewhere? I know you can take a picture and save it with Miiverse but it doesn't seem to work for me.

To take a screencap of your new leaf game, press the L&R buttons together.
If you want to transfer it to your laptop, there are three ways:
Remove the SD card and put it into the SD slot on the computer.
Remove the SD card and use an SD adapter
If you have a new 3DS, there is a way to transfer the photos over wifi using this guide

Last edited:
Does anyone know what this error message means?: "An error has occurred, forcing the software to close".

I was going to try one of the tours on my own island when that happened. Does it hurt the game? I looked it up and Nintendo's stock answer said to clear the data on the save file because it contained data that was unusable and would affect the progression of the game. Meaning a complete restart. I bought the cartridge used, but it didn't have a previous save file on it and it started up like a brand new unplayed game. I don't want to delete everything and start over. Has anyone gotten that message and just kept playing the game with no more problems?

When you hit your flowers with a net to catch a bug, does it actually damage the flower?
I assume it does because it makes the same animation as when you run on them, but I'm kind of hoping that it doesn't x-x

Nope, it doesn’t at all. Well that is, if you actually catch the bug with your net. If you fail to catch the bug and end up hitting the flower itself, it actually doesn’t do damage. I believe that if you run over the flower plainly 2-3 times then the flower would die. But if you end up actually catching the bug or failing then the flower wouldn’t take any damage regardless. The only way the flower could take damage is if you run over them. If your flower does take damage then be careful, and water it and make sure not to damage it again.
Is there a way to plot reset your original five villager's houses? Or can you only plot reset new villagers that are moving in?

Sadly, you can’t. It’s only for new villagers. Unless you move out your original five villagers and do the 16 villager cycle and get them back, that’s the only way you could move their plot. Lucky for some people, their villagers houses are already nicely arranged by the game by chance. I’ve went to dream addresses and looking at the town tree, their villagers that have been there since they started the game have their houses in a neat, straight line without plot resetting. That’s because they hacked, and I highly recommend that you don’t hack your game at all.

- - - Post Merge - - -

You can put your house or plot reset a villager's house outside the town hall 2 spaces to the left or right and 2 spaces to the front or back, unless there are other buildings around the town hall.
I'm looking for a furniture database. I came across MoriDB (which still exists to my surprise) but I'm wondering if there is an app or something.
Yes, there is an app called ?ACNL Guide?. I always use it, and I think it?s available for phone devices. It lists the Welcome Amiibo and normal furniture items from alphabetical order and it is very, very handy and neat to use. It also gives you a list of villagers, tells you their favourite coffee, birthday, what they?re scared of (for Halloween), what gifts they like (for their birthday), their clothing style, their personality and other things. It tells you when villager's birthdays are each day and also connects to your current phone time and tells you what fish, bugs and diving creatures you could catch. E.g. it might be 2pm for you as my phone says so, and the app may say that I could catch a fruit beetle at that time of day. The thing is you can?t search up seperate furniture, but it is listed for you in alphabetical order so that makes it easy for you. Also there?s a checklist, so you could check off what pieces you have and you don?t. It?s really good because I believe that you could keep track of your encyclopaedia, like with your bugs, fish, and diving creatures. It basically tells you your completion of ACNL on your phone.

I was going to make a new thread but I'll just ask it here.

Now that Swan's house is plotted, I have to reevalute where the villagers are going to live. And I'm wondering, is this planned plot too close to the cliff? Does the two tile buffer apply here?

23167928_367429833699294_6675688959959911026_n.jpg

Now that Swan's house is plotted, I have to reevalute where the villagers are going to live. And I'm wondering, is this planned plot too close to the cliff? Does the two tile buffer apply here?

View attachment 210790

It may be too close to the RV park. I tried placing a pwp near mine and there's a buffer for that. If you haven't, you may want to check on that yourself by trying to place a pwp there. Better safe than sorry if a villager refuses to plot there after all.

View attachment 210790

I'm pretty sure the two buffer will apply, yes. The house has a one tile buffer on it's own, and the cliff will as well in this case. Maybe someone can help confirm as well.
I have put a pwp lamp 1 tile away from the cliff, however. But I'm not entirely sure the same applies for a house.

I have Julian's house with 1 tile away from the cliff atm, I didn't put path around the whole place though, only roads over and below the houses on that line. I'm pretty sure Fang had his house with one tile from the cliff in my old town as well. :)

Is it true that the bushes bought from the island, can be planted in the grass? Or is that only for hackers? I thought they only grew when planted on the beach.

View attachment 210790
Well, according to my knowledge and frustration of doing plot resetting, for the cliff, it’s too close. You may want to move it 2 spaces away, because if it’s 1 space like that, then the roof would end up touching the cliff and therefore, the game doesn’t allow that so you have to move it two spaces to the left. Also, I believe that it is too close to the Harvey’s Campground or RV Park (or whatever you call it). You could tell that the house is a little shifted to the way in the entrance for the Campground, so you may want to move it back 1 or 2 spaces back. Preferably 2 spaces would be better, just in case. So to evaluate, that’s 2 spaces to the left and 2 spaces to the back. Also I hope you cut down that peach tree before you plot reset, haha.

Is it true that the bushes bought from the island, can be planted in the grass? Or is that only for hackers? I thought they only grew when planted on the beach.

So you mean the hibiscus bush starts that sell in the Island Shop? Well, I believe that the answer to that is actually the opposite of what you’re saying. Nope, you can actually not grow bushes on the beach, that’s for hackers. But yes, you can most definitely plant bushes on the grass, just as you see them on the island. But beware, once you plant them on grass, there’s no going back when you plant them and they fully grow. You can’t remove them and you can’t cut them down, so place them in a nice spot.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. I ended up just moving it a few spaces to the right and moved the planned plot that was next to it down to the south of my town.

Yes, there is an app called ‘ACNL Guide’. I always use it, and I think it’s available for phone devices. ....

The thing is you can’t search up seperate furniture, but it is listed for you in alphabetical order so that makes it easy for you. Also there’s a checklist, so you could check off what pieces you have and you don’t. It’s really good because I believe that you could keep track of your encyclopaedia, like with your bugs, fish, and diving creatures. It basically tells you your completion of ACNL on your phone.

I'm able to search for furniture pieces? From the main screens there is a magnifying glass at the top. You tap that and type in the item you are searching for. I've searched for bugs, fish, clothing, furniture.. it finds it all. Very helpful app.

Back