Anyone else frustrated with the villager market?

Aronthaer

Back from Hiatus (3/18/22)
Bells
Switch
8145-7039-9800
Purple Star Fragment
Pink Star Fragment
The Bell Tree Fair 2020 Patch
Pink Star Fragment
Purple Star Fragment
Pink Hybrid Tulip
Pink Hybrid Rose
Pink Hybrid Tulip
Pink Hybrid Rose
Pink Hybrid Tulip
Idk I just hate the idea of people selling villagers. Personally, I like letting villagers move in naturally, and letting them move back out if I'm not a fan. I could put up with the villager market in New Leaf because most of the prices were fair but I think it's hit a tipping point for me today. My girlfriend has a villager moving out and she's really, REALLY wanted Judy ever since she was announced. but everyone wants upwards of 300 nook miles tickets for her. it's absolutely absurd, and she just doesn't even have a chance :( There's not really any way to fix this issue since people will still continue to bid ridiculous amounts for the new villagers but it's just so upsetting that my girlfriend has absolutely no chance of ever getting Judy to move in.

Idk I just hate the idea of people selling villagers. Personally, I like letting villagers move in naturally, and letting them move back out if I'm not a fan. I could put up with the villager market in New Leaf because most of the prices were fair but I think it's hit a tipping point for me today. My girlfriend has a villager moving out and she's really, REALLY wanted Judy ever since she was announced. but everyone wants upwards of 300 nook miles tickets for her. it's absolutely absurd, and she just doesn't even have a chance :( There's not really any way to fix this issue since people will still continue to bid ridiculous amounts for the new villagers but it's just so upsetting that my girlfriend has absolutely no chance of ever getting Judy to move in.
ikr! it soo crazy! also if i ever find judy i will give her to you! i understand what its like!

i rlly find it so strange like ....... if u have a villager in boxes u've allowed them 2 move off ur island ?? so u obviously no longer want them ?? why're u making ppl pay u noxious amts of in game currencies to take a villager tht u no longer want on ur island,,,, rlly baffles me

i rlly find it so strange like ....... if u have a villager in boxes u've allowed them 2 move off ur island ?? so u obviously no longer want them ?? why're u making ppl pay u noxious amts of in game currencies to take a villager tht u no longer want on ur island,,,, rlly baffles me
ikr!!! its just wrong!

Personally I never liked purchasing villagers off of people! Not a huge fan, kind of makes me feel like I didn't do anything LOL
But I always like giving my villagers to other people and well I do sometimes give them away for free, I still do like making a profit especially when said villager took me 10 or more NMTs to find LOL
If it's a camper, I'm moreso like...I didn't do anything to get them really so like say I get another Raymond in the campsite (Unlikely tbh) I would probably do a giveaway for him!

I understand the frustration, especially when it seems like every single person has these really exaggerated high prices... but, I see nothing wrong with people taking advantage of a marketable thing to profit. That's how they like playing the game, and it stays this high in price because people do pay these prices instead of challenging them.

Many people out there hold giveaways or have the same thought as you and give them away for free, the issue is that they get swarmed right away so you might miss them or they make deals privately to avoid the attention. So, maybe you'll get lucky and someone will offer Judy to you! Don't lose out hope!

It's part of that mind-set that everything has a value...?
I don't mind it, but I do also sell villagers myself, so I suppose I'm on the other side of the spectrum.

Judy doesn't have an amiibo... So I think that just comes down to supply and demand, ya know?
(She's one of the only snooty villagers I like... So I could see how her market is a bit chaotic. No one wants to let her go.)

I get where you're coming from but ppl will play the game how they want and they'll sell for whatever so long as there's a buyer for it

there's not much we can do about how other ppl play their games

eventually the prices will drop - i think it's already started for raymond and the other popular villagers

When I offer villagers to people, I generally let people offer what they want. Sometimes people don’t offer anything and I’m fine with that. I agree that it’s ridiculous. It frustrates me. Instead of getting Raymond from someone else, I had to grind for a day or two using the campsite method. It was so worth it!

At the same time, I make NMT and bells through selling hybrids, and I find if I pace myself, mystery island hopping is fun. Sometimes I walk away with a villager I didn’t expect to grab. Last time I got Fauna and today I snagged Diana! So for the most part, I’ve been able to ignore the market all together :)

Helpful tip for your girlfriend: SAVE Nook Mike Points and budget if other purchases are desired! Don’t waste Nook Mile Tickets trying to get ONE villager from mysteries or from someone else. Don’t walk into a island hop spree and think, “I’m only going for ______ and no one else.” Heck, keep a list of villagers but be okay with walking away with someone not on the list. Just aim to get a villager that works! Eventually, she will find Judy. At the beginning of the game, I wanted Apple, Fauna and Chèvre. Because in previous games, I always got the characters I didn’t want (I swear, Caesar stalked me!). As of now, I’ve had all three (I still have Fauna and Chèvre...Chèvre is trapped and never leaving xD) PLUS I’ve been able to experience other characters like Poppy, Apple, Maple, June, Marshall (twice) and now, Raymond! She will find Judy eventually. It’ll just take more time. I hope she finds Judy eventually :)

I buy villagers because of the low frequency of move outs. If my town is gonna stay the same for a whole month, then I at least want to choose who takes up space.

I like being able to buy and sell villagers. I think its another option of getting bells or villagers you really want. However, I think the recent prices of like 10mil bells or 100+NMT for villagers is ridiculous. I just got back onto this forum after a few years and it seemed like the New Leaf market was way less crazy in price points, even for the top tier villagers.

I'm confused by this lol. People do this so they can get a villager that they really want instead? Like, the part about abnoxious prices I get but this is literally just how sales work.

I have, however, absolutely refused to buy a villager for myself since the campsite method (and island hopping) exists. Getting the villagers I wanted would take a lot of grinding and time and I'd rather put that into something I don't have to speak to other people for lol.

I don't mind it. I mean prices are high because buyers drove them up to be fair. It's crazy for sure but they're high because people are paying it. If no one was paying it, they'd be lower. Simple as that, tbh.

Personally I just tt campsite to get villagers if I really want them and don't have an amiibo card for.

I'm confused by this lol. People do this so they can get a villager that they really want instead? Like, the part about abnoxious prices I get but this is literally just how sales work.

I have, however, absolutely refused to buy a villager for myself since the campsite method (and island hopping) exists. Getting the villagers I wanted would take a lot of grinding and time and I'd rather put that into something I don't have to speak to other people for lol.
Yeah like...from what I've seen most auctions for popular villagers start at a reasonable starting price but people bid high amounts, making it harder for poorer players to easily get the villager they want. In the end, you can always get the villager you want via the campsite or island hopping, and with the campsite method you're much likely to get the type of villager you don't have.
Like you never have to purchase villagers off of other people like...You never have to buy a villager LOL
Like sorry if you don't TT, you can't do the campsite method, so just rack up those nook miles and start island hopping LOLOL

Something many that are part of this fandom can agree to is that it may be annoying and prices may become inflated ridiculously, but this community really runs things like it is a business. You’ll find several giveaways here and there but overall the rules of supply and demand are always at work in the community. I personally used ridiculous time consuming methods in game to find villagers because I hate buying villagers myself.

Your GF only has a great chance of getting Judy if she TTs & gets her from the campsite, or if she exclusively looks to trade on TBT. You can always find someone on here kind enough to help you get your dreamie for at least an affordable price. You can luck out sometimes too- yesterday on Nookazon, a user gave me Ankha for free for simply bidding on her & agreeing to wait a day! While Judy doesn't have an amiibo now, she will certainly have one before the year is out, so don't give up hope!

I like being able to buy and sell villagers. I think its another option of getting bells or villagers you really want. However, I think the recent prices of like 10mil bells or 100+NMT for villagers is ridiculous. I just got back onto this forum after a few years and it seemed like the New Leaf market was way less crazy in price points, even for the top tier villagers.
i feel like this isn't true though? i remember that before amiibos, marshal, and a lot of other tier one villagers, was selling for like 10-20+ million bells because he was so hyped up. popular villagers have always been sold at ridiculously high prices when games first come out, especially with the lack of amiibos.

eventually prices will lower for more affordable prices, but you can't fault sellers without realizing that other buyers play a role in this too.

Back