• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Anyone else felt deterred from getting a villager based on their original clothing?

Fridaynightcatlady

Sex ed advocate
Bells
ど
う
Tasty Cake
I know it's so dumb lol, but I've skipped a few wanted villagers because I don't really like the clothes they start with, and considering that's their primary clothes, I don't really wanna see them wearing that very often.

I'm more interested in villager's design instead of cloth. But I sort of know what you mean, I got Chrissy. And her default cloth sucks!!!! I just see her in that ugly looking white shirt all day! Seriously you are looking into being a pop star why is your cloth so plain... I even wrote a letter to her complaining about it orz

I've overwhelmingly doted on my sheep. They have at least 4 outfits a piece and cycle through them regularly. I find the ones I talk to the most wear the clothes I give them more often. Idk if that helps. Personal choice is real tho~ do what makes you most happy!

I can’t say it’s even really been close to being a dealbreaker to me, but to each their own and I think the most important thing here is that you do what works best for you and what gives you the most joy out of the game! I do find myself not liking Zucker as much as I did in New Leaf, however, because I much preferred his shirt then to what he wears now, but since he was in my town I had already decided I wouldn’t have him on my island this time.

It’s not that of a deal, I care about design and interior more than clothes. If the villagers original clothing is meh to me, I’ll just give them clothes frequently to fix it.

I haven’t rejected a villager yet based on clothes, but I totally get how if their original clothes suck it lowers their potential. Some if them look so much better in different outfits and I wish they would keep on the clothes we give them and ditch the default outfit.
I also think some lower tier villagers would be higher if they had better clothes that brought out how cute/cool they could be!

I get you. I’ve had Diana for a while and really wanted to keep her for longer because of her coloring but she always went back to wearing that awful violet dress that made her look like a grandma even though I gave her a better sweater than fits her coloring better. My villagers are all very cutesy and that dress always made her seem way way older and she stuck out like a sore thumb so I had to let her go.

I have never done this, because you can just give them a bunch of new clothes and they wear those most often. I am not too fond of Judy's original dress she comes in, and I've given her about 6 new outfits, and now she rarely ever wears her original dress. Come to think of it, I can't even remember the last time I've seen her in it.

I'm tempted to have Flora move out because I can't stand the door on her house (I know, sounds so stupid, but it doesn't go with my island and really stands out), but have never kicked anyone out based on their clothing.

I don't care much for their default clothes since I can always give them a new one. The more you give them apparel they really like, the less you'll see them in their default clothes.

I recently gave Sterling, Punchy & Rudy clothes that match their color and style. I notice that they tend to wear it more often.

I sort of felt this way about Fuchsia, but she actually doesn’t go back to her default clothing very often, and after that experience, I stopped worrying so much about default clothing. It’s just a matter of compromising with them
with what they like and what you like.

I'm sort of guilty of this, haha. I know you can just gift them new clothes but I also like considering their original style. I love Wade but I think his froggy shirt was just a weird choice for him. His shirt wouldn't make me reject him completely but he'll definitely be bumped down lower on my list of villagers I'd want. But more than clothes, I will prioritise their house exterior and if I need that personality over their general appearance.

I haven’t done this personally but I’ve chosen my villagers based on their interiors! For example I used to have Buck as my starting jock and he is so plain, but I felt like we got along. After finding out what his real interior looked like (quite badly decorated imo) I decided to find another jock instead :(

If you don’t like the villager’s default clothing definitely gift them clothing items! Some of my villagers wear gifted clothing more than their default now

nah, definitely not. I can see why you would, because it takes up a large portion of the villager's body lol but if you gift them enough clothing they won't even wear their default stuff anymore. I haven't seen Sherb wear his default sweater in months now because he just has so many clothes that it went out of his rotation

I am guilty of sometimes wanting villagers more based on their default clothes though honestly lol. maple's default sweater makes her 10x cuter it's just eeeeeeEEEeee

Not really. If I like that villager, I'll give them like 40 T-shirts or something so that they won't wear their original clothes that often, but I like, or at least I'm neutral towards, all my villagers' clothing options lol.

Not really? I guess I am lucky that none of my dreamies are wearing anything awful by default. lol

And I'm not too sure they will wear their default more than ones you gift depending on the clothing you gift them. I think if you gift them something they really "like" they are less likely to change out of it again.
examples I have on my island:
- I gave genji the purple steampunk outfit over two weeks ago. he has NEVER changed back into his default clothing. he loves the thing i guess. He looks so nice in it too. I love it on him.
- Julian is usually sporting his young royal shirt or the stellar jumpsuit I gave him, he is rarely seen in his default cosmic hoodie if at all anymore.
- Skye pretty well equal wears her default clothing and the miko attire (in the same blue and white as her).. maybe the miko a lil more
Post automatically merged:

yes! i adored muffy in new leaf, but i really dislike how she looks in her dress this game :c
Muffy use to be a dreamie of mine. Sheep got a glow down in new horizons. I miss their fluffy, scarf wearing glory.

Not really? I guess I am lucky that none of my dreamies are wearing anything awful by default. lol

And I'm not too sure they will wear their default more than ones you gift depending on the clothing you gift them. I think if you gift them something they really "like" they are less likely to change out of it again.
examples I have on my island:
- I gave genji the purple steampunk outfit over two weeks ago. he has NEVER changed back into his default clothing. he loves the thing i guess. He looks so nice in it too. I love it on him.
- Julian is usually sporting his young royal shirt or the stellar jumpsuit I gave him, he is rarely seen in his default cosmic hoodie if at all anymore.
- Skye pretty well equal wears her default clothing and the miko attire (in the same blue and white as her).. maybe the miko a lil more
Post automatically merged:

Muffy use to be a dreamie of mine. Sheep got a glow down in new horizons. I miss their fluffy, scarf wearing glory.
I do too! They were so cute in NL. They've grown on me as now I kinda enjoy seeing their fat happy faces when they run around in oversized shirts but I'll always miss the scarves.

Not really, as others have mentioned, I think the more important consideration for me would be their overall design. If anything, I would even place more importance on their house interior rather than what clothing they wear. I rarely ever gift my villagers clothing, since I feel pretty neutral about what they wear, but obviously I draw the line with now purposely giving them something ridiculous or silly to wear.

Back