Anyone else concerned about the cards?

AidanTheGreat

Duck King
Bells
I saw the kind of stuff that went down with amiibos, (thank god I did not want any and don't own a wii-u) and I'm afraid similar things may happen with the amiibo cards. I heard in some stores they were limiting it to one pack per customer, and I actually like that idea. (I think at that time it was mostly due to the shortage) I'm mainly afraid those same people who buy out all the amiibos are going to try and do it with the cards too. I already see a lot of people who plan on buying tons of packs, and I can almost guarantee they are going to be sold out everywhere when they do come out. I did not care when all that happened with amiibos since as I said, I don't even like figures or have a wii-u, however I absolutely love cards, as well as Animal Crossing, so now I actually care.

I realize they aren't even out yet over here, but I want to know if anyone else has concerns like me, or any way to make me feel less concerned. (I only plan on maybe 2-3 packs if I can even buy those before they are sold out)

Apologies if this thread has been done before, at the time of making this, I do not see another thread like it. More apologies for anyone who finds this stupid ~

I think as long as you preorder, and you're not getting a ton of packs, you should be okay. I think the issue with Japan was that a0 AC is huge there, mores than anywhere else and b) a lot of people preordered tons of boxes specifically for reselling, and I think NOJ was stupid enough not to foresee that, or at least prepare for it, so their stock on release was lacking. Since NoA and NoE are actually separate entities from NOJ, hopefully they will learn from this issue and ramp up their own production. There's still more than a month until US release anyway.

I am a LITTLE concerned; if Japan faced a shortage issue with mass-produced cards, I can't imagine what it would be like to stock hundreds of stores across the United States. It's crazy to think about it.

I really hope NoA can do something about the issue before the game and the cards launch, because the entire amiibo situation has been really bad. The only instances otherwise are retailer exclusives (Target held a restock of 33k Rosalina, and Best Buy has been handling exclusives really well), and I doubt NoA would ever give cards exclusives.

However, there really is nothing we can do about scalpers. These are randomized card packs, people will be buying them to collect all the cards; some people just have really bad luck. I feel like everyone will be grabbing as many packs as possible.

I'm in Canada (and therefore fall under NoA and the Sept 25th release) and I'm really hoping they get stuff sorted. My master plan is to preorder a full box of packs if I can--not to resell, but for the sheer joy of indulging my child-self whose parents couldn't afford birthday presents for me in some years. I want to share any doubles and extras with friends who aren't able to get their own cards, or gift them to those that are having trouble finding the ones they want. Not that the real world and economy care about that stuff.

So yeah. Hoping that they plan better for the "overseas" releases...but the markets in other parts of the world are pretty different from Japan, so it's hard to gauge whether the other Nintendo divisions will be able to plan for the demand or not.

The sucky thing about collectibles like the cards is that folks who don't plan on playing will pounce on them too, potentially leaving them harder to get for those that actually want to use the dang things.

Honestly, I'm really not that worried. Other countries will probably learn from the Japan experience and produce more cards. They could easily do math from stock allocations of the figurines blah blah blah compare to the Japanese stock shortage blah blah blah and then figure out how many cards are needed for each region to prevent a shortage for as long as possible. Even then, if they're worried about a shortage, they can easily limit them to 2-3 packs per customer.

If there is going to be a shortage, I don't see it lasting longer than 1-2 weeks, 3 weeks max. Cards are a lot easier to produce than the figurines, so it's not going to be nowhere near as hard to produce more cards if needed.

For every amiibo that launches and goes in shortage too soon, there's always a silver lining following the problematic. One thing that's for sure, getting them closer to the launch date has always proven to be harder than just waiting for a restock to happen. Even the supposedly easier-to-produce amiibo cards aren't produced enough for such a high demand, especially when they're way cheaper than the figures.

If you ever hear of an announcement related to the amiibo you'd want so badly, just try to secure a preorder as soon as possible in your favorite retailer. But beware, others might be doing the same, therefore negating the point on trying to claim them before or around their launch date.
If all of that is too difficult to get amiibo at a reasonable price, there's always restocks that will usually happen after at least 3 months. Restocks are noticeably easier to handle than dealing with the launch day madness, because the hype has died down a lot and you've got more time ahead of you. Instead of them disappearing for less than 15 minutes, you could possibly have hours, and days if you're lucky enough. So far, there's not even a single amiibo that is discontinued to date, according to Nintendo. Therefore, pretty much every amiibo released so far will eventually have a restock. Hope will never die indeed.

For the reasons I mentioned above, I'm not even worried on not being able to get a lot of amiibo cards on time. I'd rather spend more time doing more important things than frantically trying to acquire amiibo at launch. That's how I got a fair amount of harder-to-obtain amiibo for a reasonable price without too much stress involved.

Yeah I have to admit having heard about cards running out I am pretty worried about securing cards for my game :( I don't want to have to hunt them down....it's kind of what turned me off of collecting amiibos at all.

I'm in Canada as well and trading doubles and such seems like a good idea :D Assuming we're in the same part but either way trading doubles sounds good :)

I'm pretty concerned, I am not too sure that Walmart or Target will sell them. I wish there where like codes on the back of the cards that tells you what's in the pack.

I'm in Canada (and therefore fall under NoA and the Sept 25th release) and I'm really hoping they get stuff sorted. My master plan is to preorder a full box of packs if I can--not to resell, but for the sheer joy of indulging my child-self whose parents couldn't afford birthday presents for me in some years. I want to share any doubles and extras with friends who aren't able to get their own cards, or gift them to those that are having trouble finding the ones they want. Not that the real world and economy care about that stuff.

So yeah. Hoping that they plan better for the "overseas" releases...but the markets in other parts of the world are pretty different from Japan, so it's hard to gauge whether the other Nintendo divisions will be able to plan for the demand or not.

The sucky thing about collectibles like the cards is that folks who don't plan on playing will pounce on them too, potentially leaving them harder to get for those that actually want to use the dang things.

I'm also Canadian actually. What province are you from if I may ask? BC For me. q v q And I know what you mean. Personally I want the cards so that I can get my favorite villagers faster in the actual game.

Yeah I have to admit having heard about cards running out I am pretty worried about securing cards for my game :( I don't want to have to hunt them down....it's kind of what turned me off of collecting amiibos at all.

I'm in Canada as well and trading doubles and such seems like a good idea :D Assuming we're in the same part but either way trading doubles sounds good :)

What part are you in if I may ask ~ ? That sounds like a great idea.

I'll be buying 1 box once its out, just to have all the villagers.
Still not sure what I'm gona do with dupes ....

It would be really annoying if there was a large stock shortage outside of Japan but I hope/think not for a couple reasons:

-Animal Crossing is more popular in Japan (even though it is hugely popular worldwide)
-Trading cards are more popular in Japan
-The rest of the world has seen Japan and stock shortage
-Cards are much more easier to produce and distribute than figures

If there is a shortage though then as much it would pain me, I would wait until the stock is ok again before buying anything. While stock is low, I would probably need to pay higher prices to get cards which is something I'd rather not do.

Lyssa and AidanTheGreat, I'm in Toronto, ON. I'll be sending a bunch of doubles to a friend in the US and will also be keeping an eye out for any that Boccages might need when the time comes, but if needed and it works for you, am happy to mail stuff to you or meet up as location permits.

I hope they don't limit pack numbers for customers, Game is doing bundles of three packs for ?12.50 so I got two to save money- and preordered my copy of HHD with them since Amazon sent me an email saying they couldn't fulfil their release day guarantee ( told me I'd get it a week after release :/ ) I'm hoping that NOE/UK is sensible about production numbers so that even if you go into a store a few days after release you can still pick up a few packs...

I'm probably going to drop my dream of getting doubles of each card since there is going to be 400 cards, I'll just put them in a pretty binder instead, anyway my payslip can't handle getting 800 cards even if I sold on any extras :p

I'll be buying 1 box once its out, just to have all the villagers.
Still not sure what I'm gona do with dupes ....

Sell them to me! (Kidding of course) Seems like a lot of you plan on buying entire boxes.
It's funny how this thread confirms that my fear was justified. : ' ) Rest in pepperonis.

In reality however I guess it's my own fault if everything ends up sold out when I make it to the store.

Lyssa and AidanTheGreat, I'm in Toronto, ON. I'll be sending a bunch of doubles to a friend in the US and will also be keeping an eye out for any that Boccages might need when the time comes, but if needed and it works for you, am happy to mail stuff to you or meet up as location permits.

I'm pre-ordering happy home designer this month (I believe on the 26th is when I get my money) and might purchase a few Japanese packs (although they are like 8 bucks for 3 cards since we are Canadian) you should let me know of any cards you are looking out for and maybe if I get off my lazy butt I can send them you're way. (If I get doubles and/or just don't want them) As you can tell, I'm looking out for basically anyone in my signature who is from this set, especially Deli.

Last edited:
Another reason i feel Japan produced not enough cards is they did not predict so many people overseas buying the japanese cards instead of waiting when it released in their countries!

Cause i bought a box from amazon in japan just so i could get the japanese version instead of EU version :p
And i noticed several other people doing the same thing!

Another reason i feel Japan produced not enough cards is they did not predict so many people overseas buying the japanese cards instead of waiting when it released in their countries!

Cause i bought a box from amazon in japan just so i could get the japanese version instead of EU version :p
And i noticed several other people doing the same thing!

You people are literally why I am concerned.

I'm not that worried and that's mainly because I do not plan on buying the cards due to lack of funds and interest. I do know for a fact that cards are easier to produce than figures so we can at least assume if there is a shortage, it won't be as bad as the amiibo figures.

I'm not that worried and that's mainly because I do not plan on buying the cards due to lack of funds and interest. I do know for a fact that cards are easier to produce than figures so we can at least assume if there is a shortage, it won't be as bad as the amiibo figures.
Fair enough, I guess you are right, but when so many people are buying boxes, I still think they will run out faster than lemonade in the Sahara desert.

I'm not too worried because I only plan on getting one or two packs, and not asap, just whenever they're available to me

Maybe its time we have a section for trading cards with in game bells or tbt pts.

Problem is those selling must he willing to pay for shipping to other players in other countries.

Back