• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Anime suggestions

Ambirules

Bells
Arcade Tokens
So I just finished ouran high school host club, and I loved it so much. I'm kind of new to watching anime, and I would like to find something similar to this, all suggestions appreciated. Thanks ^^

If you want an anime with a school environment, romantic and really sad, you can always try clannad.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/2167/Clannad

If you are looking for something a bit lighter and funnier

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1887/Lucky☆Star

And as my favourite anime/manga, if you are looking for a really good story with loads of twists, action, gags, deep sad moments.

I do recommend Fullmetal Alchesmit Brotherhood. I would recommend you the first Fullmetal Series but most people tend to prefer brotherhood since the 2003 series are mostly fillers.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/5114/Fullmetal_Alchemist:_Brotherhood

I can recommend more depending on your interests and such. You can always contact me over PM

For anime similar to OHSHC, I would recommend things like:
- Fruits Basket
- Special A
- Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
- Lovely Complex
- Kamisama Kiss

Last edited:
Special A immediately comes to mind when thinking of OHSHC.

If you like school environments, romantic, comedy and harem genre then I would suggest;
Lovely Complex (rom-com)
Fruits Basket (rom-com)
School Rumble (rom-com)
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu (rom-com)
Azumanga Daioh (comedy)
Paniponi Dash! (comedy)
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou (comedy)
Joshi Kousei: Girl's High (comedy)
Minami-ke (comedy)
Hidamari Sketch (comedy)
Toradora (rom-com)
Hyakko (comedy)
Shuffle! (rom-com/harem)
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai (rom-com, harem)

~
Chobits. I always love Chobits. It's a bit of an odd story, but the art is great-clamp always does lovely work.

Please Teacher. Despite being a bit....weird, it's a good story in the end. There's a lot more adult themes in it then Ouran Host Club, but it's a good anime that's near and dear to me, as is its counterpart, Please Twins.

Cowboy Bebop. A pleasant mix between light and dark hearted story telling, basically it's cowboys in space and it's amazing.

Samurai Champloo. It's deep. But also very, very good.

Mushi shi. That one is a bit different in the fact that it doesn't really follow one single story line, but both the art and the stories in each episode are done so elaborately and beautifully that it's hard to tear your eyes from it.

Puella Magi Magica Madoka. I'm not a huge fan of magical girls. But imagine, for a moment, that they make an anime about magical girls that shows a....darker side....of things. And does it well. Extremely well. With an OST that gladly puts many other anime shows to shame. I could go on about this one, (I watched it the most recently I suppose), but watch it for yourself. No spoilers here.

There are more I'd gladly suggest, but I don't recall them at the moment.

Juuousei
Please Save My Earth(the manga is way better but worth it)
Rin~Daughters of Mnemosyne
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Sailor Moon(the old one)
Elfen Lied
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha

Chobits ftw! There is also Angelic Layer which was made sorta the same universe as Chobits. Toradora was pretty good, I loved it.

~
Funnily enough, chobits was made after angelic layer. Both were made from clamp. They actually made tsubasa and combined all of their world's which pretty cool. I would suggest the manga over the anime though.

But I am also taking notes on anime from this thread. I want some goodies to watch.

Probably most similar to Ouran I can think of is School Rumble and Baka and Test. Ranma 1/2 is in a school haha. Clannad is in school but is way more dramatic than ouran imo. But relatively similar

Welllllllll I suggest to anyone who is an anime fan:

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (Thriller and Horror)
School Rumble (Slice of life and Comedy)
Evangelion series and movies (You must have heard of it)
Space Dandy (Hilarious Comedy)
Black Lagoon(Action and Drama)
Clannad (Slice of life, Romance)
Clannad After Story (Tragedy)
School Days (Dur) (Deconstruction of a genre/tragedy) game is good too if you like 18+
As mentioned, both Persona 4 animes are good but dont want Golden if you've never played the game or at least watched the first anime, you'll be totally lost I guarantee it.
Full Metal Panic (Comedy, Drama, Mecha)
Cowboy Bebop (Space Western, drama)

That's all I can think of for now

Probably most similar to Ouran I can think of is School Rumble and Baka and Test.

Last edited:
~
Funnily enough, chobits was made after angelic layer. Both were made from clamp. They actually made tsubasa and combined all of their world's which pretty cool. I would suggest the manga over the anime though.

But I am also taking notes on anime from this thread. I want some goodies to watch.
Chobits brings back good memories
Probably most similar to Ouran I can think of is School Rumble and Baka and Test. Ranma 1/2 is in a school haha. Clannad is in school but is way more dramatic than ouran imo. But relatively similar

Welllllllll I suggest to anyone who is an anime fan:

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (Thriller and Horror)
School Rumble (Slice of life and Comedy)
Evangelion series and movies (You must have heard of it)
Space Dandy (Hilarious Comedy)
Black Lagoon(Action and Drama)
Clannad (Slice of life, Romance)
Clannad After Story (Tragedy)
School Days (Dur) (Deconstruction of a genre/tragedy) game is good too if you like 18+
As mentioned, both Persona 4 animes are good but dont want Golden if you've never played the game or at least watched the first anime, you'll be totally lost I guarantee it.
Full Metal Panic (Comedy, Drama, Mecha)
Cowboy Bebop (Space Western, drama)

That's all I can think of for now

Probably most similar to Ouran I can think of is School Rumble and Baka and Test.
School Days is the most unexpected anime I ever watched. I actually liked it, but it depends on the viewer's opinion.

Tried the visualn novel, but I don't know where it is now and it is a pain to get it again.

I second Kaichou wa Maid-sama! if you enjoyed Ouran. They have similar vibes.
Also, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is amazing as a pick me up. You'll smile during every episode.

Chobits brings back good memories

School Days is the most unexpected anime I ever watched. I actually liked it, but it depends on the viewer's opinion.

Tried the visualn novel, but I don't know where it is now and it is a pain to get it again.

Haha yeah it was definitely a wild ride the first time I watched it. I already knew the fate of Makoto though. That's what made me watch it in the first place. Yeah that's true about the viewers. Makoto wasn't really made to be a amiable character per se nor was it supposed to be a normal harem anime. That's what people simply don't understand. It's a deconstruction. And that's exactly what it did. deconstruct. I have the VN too lol. But at the moment I can't play it cause all I have is a crappy wondows 8 laptop

btw I love your Catherine signature

Last edited:
Back