-

Guys stay on topic. If you've got nothing to constructively contribute you're better off not posting.

Thank you for trying to tone things down Tom. I really appreciate it

- - - Post Merge - - -

I would reccomend not copying other people art styles so hard, it can make your work worth less to commissioners if it isn't very unique to your own individual person.

And what other people art styles am I copying exactly? I just draw what I feel like drawing. I am not copying anyone's work.

- - - Post Merge - - -

isn't it shady to ask money from ppl when u trace tho. what about the integrity of tbt tom.

For the hundredth time, I am not tracing. You keep insisting and it's getting obsessive. You claim that I trace and make things match "pixel by pixel", when even in the overlay that you posted you can clearly see that the only thing matching is the face. And I'm not asking for money. You don't like what I do, or don't believe me, fine. But just stop and let it go. Have a nice night.

Thank you for trying to tone things down Tom. I really appreciate it

- - - Post Merge - - -

And what other people art styles am I copying exactly? I just draw what I feel like drawing. I am not copying anyone's work.

Your 'inspired' pieces on dA look exactly like the actual pieces of art and in this case, the paintings look too much exactly like the photos. At that point, I could simply print and keep the picture rather than pay for you to draw it because there is not much variation style wise or anything.

Great Job! :D
Your art is quite the beauty if you ask me. :)
Please ignore the envious creatures lurking here, they can't draw compared to you. ;)

The paintings look too much exactly like the photos? They are portraits. That is kinda the point. With the amount of colors backgrounds and textures you are seriously saying that my paintings don't look any different from the reference pictures?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Great Job! :D
Your art is quite the beauty if you ask me. :)
Please ignore the envious creatures lurking here, they can't draw compared to you. ;)

Thank you... I don't know what's happening tonight. I met really nice people before but I don't know what's going on right now.

I really appreciate you being so nice in a moment like this <3

The paintings look too much exactly like the photos? They are portraits. That is kinda the point. With the amount of colors backgrounds and textures you are seriously saying that my paintings don't look any different from the reference pictures?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Thank you... I don't know what's happening tonight. I met really nice people before but I don't know what's going on right now.

I really appreciate you being so nice in a moment like this <3

They look like less detailed versions of the originals, yes. I *also* do portraits and while sticking *anatomically* correct to a reference photo is good, making it look like you are just putting a photoshop paint filter over the photo is not necessarily good either because it doesn't add any unique reason to request it from you in particular. You are free to call me a creature for my opinion but you are also the one wanting people to commission and buy from you in a sea of thousands of other artists.

First of all, I never called you a creature?

And I'm asking what people would pay IF they wanted a commission done by me. I did not ask for you to say no I'm not interested because you copy other people, etc. You don't like what I do, fine. But accusing me of copying other people's work and pretty much telling me to change everything about my art style isn't okay. If you were not interested and couldn't help with the pricing, you could have just closed the tab and went on another part of the forum. Yet you decided to diss my work instead. I love what I do, I love having a realistic and abstract style blend together, I certainly do not agree with you and won't change my style just to make you happy. I did not come here to argue with anybody. All this negativity is making me feel nauseous. So please, if you don't have anything to say about the topic of the thread, just don't say anything. Thank you.

do you have any art that isn't heavily reference based? genuine question in case i might be interested

Hey idk if you didn't see my question but

I asked sort of for the reason Doge is pointing out: What if I want a realistic portrait, but it's of a comic character or game character that doesn't really have a realistic looking reference? I was just curious if you could do that. I'm a big fan of Michelle Hoefener and Artgerm who can do this pretty well (x x x x x x) but one doesn't do commissions and the others' cost literally thousands. If you could do that I'd pay probably $100+, but if not I'd rather not pay for something that looks nearly exactly like the screenshot or photo it was based on, you know?

I'd love to see any pieces you have that are more along the lines of that final water colour (in terms of not referring so heavily to the original reference)! You have a beautiful grasp of colour and I would love to see more of your work.

I have paid between $20 and $250 for both physically painted and digital pieces (printed onto canvas). For commissioned pieces, I've only dealt with artists I know personally or who have been highly recommended to me. I've had a variety of pieces commissioned, in many styles. None have been very complicated or large in size, hence the $250 max price to date. Someone with little experience in commissioning would not - in my experience - expect to charge minimum wage per hour : in my country, Australia, minimum wage is $17.70. 10 hours at $17.70 per hour = $177.00. Whilst that amount must of course include materials, time spent communicating, and actually completing the piece, the reality is that a beginning artist cannot charge that kind of a price without an incredible amount of luck.

One thing I look for when choosing an artist is how deep their portfolio is. I notice that your chosen pieces are currently mostly in the same style, which may hinder interest in commissioning you. For example, it's hard to assess your grasp of anatomy with the references provided. That's not a criticism, please don't misunderstand me, just an observation. I personally would expect to see a wider variety of sample work in an artist than you have in this thread so far.

Having never commissioned from an artist online, I would be very wary of sending my money off to someone I've never met. I would check feedback and other public communications thoroughly, and if in any doubt I would have to pass. Having "vetted" friend's online stores for them, I suggest you do the same with at least a couple of people you trust.

Hope this info from the perspective of a potential customer helps.

:)

Wow.. How did this thread turn into people hating on this artist?? Portraiture is still art that takes talent. It's not like they're selling the EXACT examples they are showing. Those are just to show how accurate their drawing can be to a reference. That isn't easy.. Say that someone wants to have a portrait done of themselves, and wants to sit for the artist or give a reference photo to turn into a digital portrait. They wouldn't want an artist who couldn't make the portrait look exactly like them.. If some people don't like this artists style or whatever, then whatever. But don't try to demean the work and talent it took to create this art. Unbelievable..

- - - Post Merge - - -

Wow.. How did this thread turn into people hating on this artist?? Portraiture is still art that takes talent. It's not like they're selling the EXACT examples they are showing. Those are just to show how accurate their drawing can be to a reference. That isn't easy.. Say that someone wants to have a portrait done of themselves, and wants to sit for the artist or give a reference photo to turn into a digital portrait. They wouldn't want an artist who couldn't make the portrait look exactly like them.. If some people don't like this artists style or whatever, then whatever. But don't try to demean the work and talent it took to create this art. Unbelievable..

Portraiture isn't about character creation.. It's about representing a subject accurately. There are lots of art styles in the world, my friends. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you can just be mean about it..

we do the same art in my art class where we trace out our drawing and draw over it, trying to make it seem as close to the original as possible. not to hate on the other people who didn't believe your art (sorry buddies) but i gotta agree these seem pretty legit. i'm not as talented as you are since my drawings look nothing like the original but this is a type of realistic art style.

do you use grids to know where you put everything?

Back