• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mafia Overwatch Mafia - End Game, Town wins!

CHILL, ok! I'm out of touch with mafia, so I've been going back and forth looking at people from other games and relooking at games where I actually made a difference (I literally reread most of Trump mafia and Murder Mystery), because I don't want my recent history to keep repeating where I keep shamefully dying day 1.

But really, you are over here reaction testing three people already and I throw in one little question to you and you don't answer right off the bat and OMGUS me, but I'm the suspicious one. I phrased it the way I did to make sure you know I wasn't trying to equate you to scum or mafia so early, I literally just wanted to know what you were thinking since you had already voted on someone at that time too and your post did seem awkward.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also have you always been invisible? or this is a recent change?

I like how you say that I'm "OMGUS"ing you when you're the one who just went ballistic. Anyway, I was stalking your profile earlier today and I saw you looking at Trump mafia, so I'll hold you up to that.

By the way, theres never been a time where I haven't been invisible.

- - - Post Merge - - -

also i think toad leans town, from the way he is handling the ness situation, and also given that i havent read his past games

Yeah, I'd say his reaction just now was all I really needed from him. I'll have to read into his meta again to be sure.

Heyo. Since we have quite a few new people to the forum, I think that it'd probably be a good idea to start off with an RQS (random question stage) since that's worked pretty well to start discussion in the past and so that people can get know eachother

I'd like everyone to answer these questions

What's your timezone?
How many games have you played before?
How active do you think you'll be?
Would you rather be town or mafia?

My timezone is PST, I've played about 35 mafia games(not counting dethys, ss3s, and other setups like them). Posting for me will probably limited to between 5 and 8 pm for me. My favorite alignment is mafia, but if you make me bus driver, I'd rather be town anyday

If anybody would like to make a different RQS, that's fine, as I'm kinda rushing this at the bus stop

Timezone: GMT (Currently 7:44am)
How many times have you played: once
How active do you think you'll be?: Active at 3:15pm - 1:00am.
Would you rather be town or mafia?: Don't care!

I'll be back in a few hours guys, I'm going out right now.

Last edited:
I like how you say that I'm "OMGUS"ing you when you're the one who just went ballistic. Anyway, I was stalking your profile earlier today and I saw you looking at Trump mafia, so I'll hold you up to that.

By the way, theres never been a time where I haven't been invisible.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah, I'd say his reaction just now was all I really needed from him. I'll have to read into his meta again to be sure.

Well I mean you did start the OMGUS thing the second I questioned you, I've just defended all the bs you've tried to throw at me since then. Nothing I would consider to be "ballistic" by any means either.
But if you won't own up to it, people can just go read verbatim what I've said. Good night neighborhood watch.

Timezone: GMT (Currently 7:44am)
How many times have you played: once
How active do you think you'll be?: Active at 3:15pm - 1:00am.
Would you rather be town or mafia?: Don't care!

I'll be back in a few hours guys, I'm going out right now.
Do not edit your posts. If you need to add something to your post or change something, just post again and the posts will merge together. Editing is not allowed.

Do not edit your posts. If you need to add something to your post or change something, just post again and the posts will merge together. Editing is not allowed.

Sorry I forgot! But my post still applies.

Well I mean you did start the OMGUS thing the second I questioned you, I've just defended all the bs you've tried to throw at me since then. Nothing I would consider to be "ballistic" by any means either.
But if you won't own up to it, people can just go read verbatim what I've said. Good night neighborhood watch.

Yeah I'm not going to bother bickering with you toady, I don't want to bust one of your nerves. :)

What's your timezone? AEDT which is GMT +11

How many games have you played before? Two, both on this site. I had to check, it's been so long!

How active do you think you'll be? Reasonably active around my real life commitments.

Would you rather be town or mafia? Town, absolutely. Trying to figure out the mystery is much more appealing to me than avoiding getting caught.

I find it pretty hard to read anyone at the moment. Toad, hi, what do you mean when you say OMGUS? I just have no idea what that means. I think Ness is doing a solid job of trying to reaction testing people. Imo toad is possibly town and ness is town but I do not have any scum reads atm

I find it pretty hard to read anyone at the moment. Toad, hi, what do you mean when you say OMGUS? I just have no idea what that means. I think Ness is doing a solid job of trying to reaction testing people. Imo toad is possibly town and ness is town but I do not have any scum reads atm

did a search and according to mafia wiki : "OMGUS stands for "Oh My God, You Suck (for voting for me)!". it is sometimes used as a shorthand to indicate that you are voting for someone primarily because they voted for you." hope that helps.

I just got off work. will read/reread the thread again and hopefully come up with a decent idea on who's what. also hoping the quiet ones will post more soon!

This is going to be kinda messy to reply to, especially because I have to leave half way through this for a Calc II lab, but here comes the post merges

- - - Post Merge - - -

Right, I have some explaining to do.

The reason why I pushed onto you in the beginning was because I wanted to see how you would react to it, Trundle. I've been playing on other forums where RVS is common, I felt like trying it becuase it can be helpful later on but anytime RVS is done on TBT its the one who voted who ends up being questioned. I wouldn't be dumb enough to go full ham campaigning for your lynch by the end of the

My intitial post towards Toad is blown out of proportion, but the way he phrased the post looked opportunistic. Him asking me if I was nervous was the main thing that irked me. I voted him for the same reason as Trundle, I wanted a reaction. I stand by that I think it was off.

My question toward endless was because I wanted more reasoning behind why he thought my posts were insincere, I could have used a better metaphor then sweeping under the rug.

Thats everything.

- - - Post Merge - - -

EBWOP: I wouldn't be dumb enough to go full ham campaigning for your lynch when it was literally your first post that had nothing wrong with it.

First of all, I do not buy this at all. I do not think you were reaction testing when you made those posts. You guys know the abrupt "smug and containing excitement" posts that mafia often make when trying to appear very pro-town? That is Ness's very first accusation post towards me (#122) in 1) the accusation, where he has a know-it-all you're definitely scum smugness, and the nervousness/excitedness towards Rory&Easton right afterwards, which makes me think he is nervous about his role and his his already bold posts.

- - - Post Merge - - -

break time! happy to see the thread moving steadily. some initial thoughts!

I somewhat agree with what Endless said about Ness because I thought the same thing. Ness, you asked Trundle why he didn't open the thread with something more substantial, but when he implied that you could do the same you straight away scum read him. I had a feeling you were doing it to reaction-test, but it was such a smaaaaall matter to reaction-test out of? if you know what I mean.

that being said, I don't feel Ness is scummy though because it'd be too obvious this early in the game (I mean, jumping from Trundle to Toads over petty things?) unless of course that's his strategy, idk, but for now I'm null on him.

@trundle, you explained why you townlean Dolby, but why Tom? I find him very hard to read. I still regret townreading him my last game.

Good question actually, just try to remember that my reads at this point are like 5%-25% assured in my mind if you were to imagine it in a horizontal line, in their respective directions. The main reason I read Tom as slight town is because his intro post did not seem shady or salty in any way. Normally Tom and I are able to identify each other as mafia very quickly when we are opposite teams. This read could obviously change.

- - - Post Merge - - -

1. This is contridicting, but I misworded what I said on there: I've been talking to people who do RVS on this forum called mtgsalvation. I'm currently signed up for a game called Mistborn mafia and I've been reading a lot of the site meta. I'm also on their discord.
2. Um, what do you mean who RVS' that early? You vote for someone at the start of the game when it comes to RVS, thats what its supposed to do.
It wasn't that I voted because of his post in general, it was because I felt like it would help.
3. My thought process behind that wasn't that it would poke him only, I was thinking that I could bait someone in the thread at that time with it. When I attempt to poke at someone, I prefer to do it more than once. You can see that in the last Dethy with Heyden.
4. I'm not sure what you mean here, but it is what I said earlier that it was nothing but a jab at Trundle.

- - - Post Merge - - -

My opinion of toad hasn't changed much given that I still haven't seen much of them, but I'd lean town on trundle.

Are you reading this? Ness definitely doesn't intentionally set up bait for people in the thread like that as town. This is complete fabrication.

Thats rather interesting of you Trundle, considering you did the same thing I've done in Xenoblade mafia.

I mean I know this is bad timing and he is probably going to get a replacement but I think Ness is scum just from initial "hi".

And as for my first post, what expect? That I'd actually be dumb enough to advocate for your lynch based off you saying "hi"? PUH-Lease. My post towards Rory&Easton has no right for being any kind of evidence, because it was nothing more then me berating him for editing his post.

- - - Post Merge - - -

EBWOP: If its not reaction testing, then what else do you think it could be Trundle? I've once never made any kind of play like that as scum.

- - - Post Merge - - -

*Never once

Thats rather interesting of you Trundle, considering you did the same thing I've done in Xenoblade mafia.

And as for my first post, what expect? That I'd actually be dumb enough to advocate for your lynch based off you saying "hi"? PUH-Lease. My post towards Rory&Easton has no right for being any kind of evidence, because it was nothing more then me berating him for editing his post.

- - - Post Merge - - -

EBWOP: If its not reaction testing, then what else do you think it could be Trundle? I've once never made any kind of play like that as scum.

- - - Post Merge - - -

*Never once

Ok, I'm pretty sure if the post you cited against Trundle is from another game and you didn't represent that clearly, but I looked it up and it certainly isn't from this thread.
But on that note again, why RVS that early when info could still be gotten from regular discussion. And who, even among the noobs, would fall for such a bait that early

nothing much just some stuff that needs clarifying.

@Dolby
Frankly I don't know if Ness just isn't taking the game seriously, made a seriously weird change in playstyle, or if he's mafia, but given his expressed attitude towards the inactive and people who don't participate, I'd say the latter. Alternatively though, I suppose Ness could even be a jester, given his vote hopping.

what did you mean with the bolded part. if you mean him being hard on the inactives, I didn't see it. unless by inactives/not participating you mean trundle and toads? because I didn't see him address any of the other quieter players.

also you said you already had trundle on townlean based on previous games you've played with him. please share with us why. I've never played with him before so I'd like to know your reasons.

@Karen
actually jk his wording does sound a little weird but maybe hes just trying to stimulate discussion?
ill try and read something tonight but meanwhile people give input pls

I just want to know who do you mean here, is it Dolby? anyway, for now I townlean you the most based on your observations now and then. they seem pretty straightforward.

Good question actually, just try to remember that my reads at this point are like 5%-25% assured in my mind if you were to imagine it in a horizontal line, in their respective directions. The main reason I read Tom as slight town is because his intro post did not seem shady or salty in any way. Normally Tom and I are able to identify each other as mafia very quickly when we are opposite teams. This read could obviously change.

um I guess you're trying to say your read for now is mostly based on past experiences? seems a tad convenient by alright, I understand. thank you :lemon:

--

for now I'd like to keep an eye on Ness (just to be sure) and all the quiet players. Toads and Dolby give me town vibes. Trundle, Primal, White and Tom are null so far. it's midnight now so this may be my last post until tomorrow morning ^^

I feel like Ness is trying to hide something, he seems very aggressive.

Honestly I disagree, N e s s always plays town like this. As in going hard and testing for a reaction but-then-it-backfires and he tries to defend himself. I'm townleaning Ness for his effort because it matches his effort from the Dethy we just played

- - - Post Merge - - -

(EBWOP: Can't get on the thread during school because it's blocked here, so I'll get more posts in in a few hours when I'm home)

I feel like Ness is trying to hide something, he seems very aggressive.

That's a bit interesting to hear from you. Can you elaborate?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also Dolby, I'll reply to your post later. I'm in class right now.

Honestly I disagree, N e s s always plays town like this. As in going hard and testing for a reaction but-then-it-backfires and he tries to defend himself. I'm townleaning Ness for his effort because it matches his effort from the Dethy we just played

- - - Post Merge - - -

(EBWOP: Can't get on the thread during school because it's blocked here, so I'll get more posts in in a few hours when I'm home)

I feel as though that would be something someone who is on his "team" would say.

- - - Post Merge - - -

That's a bit interesting to hear from you. Can you elaborate?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also Dolby, I'll reply to your post later. I'm in class right now.

I can't elaborate but its just my gut feeling.

Honestly, annoying as ness has been so far I too don't scum lean him yet:
1. He is smart enough to know not to be so bold this early. He isn't the type to do that imo.
2. His reaction testing seems legit based. I mean I can relate to trying to elicit conversation by questioning people.
3. Some more subtle things in our exchange. He validated my claim of looking and comparing other games with saying he saw me looking at the trump game. If he was trying to make me look bad, he would've just kept that to himself.

To me this just makes his efforts so far look genuine. Poorly executed, but genuine nonetheless

I feel as though that would be something someone who is on his "team" would say.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I can't elaborate but its just my gut feeling.

So you have no other reasoning? What's your opinion of Dolby and Trundle?

Hoo boy.

Reference material
Ness's last 2 town games: [1, 2]
Ness's last mafia game: [1]

First, to explain my reasoning for requirement to read over Ness's games, I'll re-examine his posts in this game in more detail.
Post #1:
Poor reaction push but nothing ultimately wrong with this post. Included for completeness.
Post #2:
If this is town play, it's exceptionally poor town play. The concept of a reaction test is to attempt to catch someone off guard and push them outside of their comfort zone. The appeal in this post isn't to trundle, but to other people, stating that they shouldn't let "his silver tongue" fool them. Red flag, but could theoretically just be a wonky playstyle at this stage.
Post #3:
RQS answer. Included for completeness. (Although, minor note not indicative enough for me to mention in my conclusions ahead, every game where ness is town in the source material, he complains about how little he sees RQS doing. Whereas as mafia he neglects to mention it. Not anything substantial, just an interesting note that if he's mafia this game it'd be consistent with that.)
Post #4:
Only 2 things are showcased here, the first is him weirdly responding to a newer player in caps, which is absolutely to do with his playstyle and irrelevant to his alignment, and also unhealthy for continued attendance of new players. And the second is him continuing on his so-far fruitless reaction test that has lost all merit by this point. (Indicating that there's a chance that the motivation behind the reaction test is to appear to be attempting to discern mafia and provide information rather than genuinely attempting to grind content.)
Post #5:
Included for completeness. Poor behaviour is the only thing to look at here.

~My post indicating that I needed to read up on Ness's previous games because I found his content forced and overplayed in this game.
I'll take a short break here to explain my conclusions from reading up on his meta.
Dear god this man is blatant mafia. He very passionately enjoys playing as mafia and it shows completely. In one game where he flipped town, he takes an inquisitive stance and calmly asks people why they think what they think, then asserts that someone reasonably under the radar is probably mafia. Maintaining a laid back, curious playstyle. In the other, he provides jack all content and memes around for the first day.
Whereas in the game in the reference material (taken from his most recent 48 hour day phase games) where he flipped mafia, his playstyle is eerily close to the aggressive behaviour exhibited in this game. (this and this are his first game related posts in that game)
Now that I've covered that, let's continue with his posts from this game.

Post #6:
Included for completeness. Perfectly reasonable post which I take this post serves as a response to.
Post #7:
I too frequently ask people why they're "sweeping something under the rug"[Post #6] then go on to, within a very small time frame, comment that someone's "post smells funny" for no well explained reason. Neither are unreasonable posts separately, but the sequential process of posting both after each other is both hypocritical and indicative of insincerity in one or both posts.
Post #8:
"Something perfectly townish"? Oh man. I needn't point out what's wrong with claiming your own content appears townish for no well explored reason, or for even for a well explored reason, at that.
With regard to his push on toad: It's possible that he doesn't understand that toad's townplay resembles an explosive tumbleweed, (no offense toad) which could give credit to him genuinely having a reason to believe that toad is mafia, in the event that he (Ness) is town. (A possibility I highly doubt at this stage.)
Post #9:
Included for completeness. Nothing wrong with this post individually aside from what was asserted above. The final line amuses me because the entire mafia concept of "WIFOM" is based entirely on that thought process, and is frequently used by people both less and more intelligent than Ness.
Post #10:
Just hopping in an important note to Ness here: This site used to operate solely on RVS roughly 2-3 years ago. I joined and introduced RQS because RVS functions similarly to a flaming train driving down an airport runway here. PS: It's not pretty. RQS was adopted and functions very efficiently. Not to say that RVS is a worse starting method than RQS, but that on this site one is better than the other. The townlean on trundle is super interesting to me because Trundle has absolutely not alignment told in any way or form.
Post #11:
I'll give credit where credit is due. This is nothing but a useful post. Not much of a post, sure - but it promotes content and adds content. I'd love to see more stuff like this from Ness.
Post #12:
I'll give Ness the benefit of the doubt on not connecting the dots that Toad rereading and Toad lurking might be related.
Comment on toad here is theoretically a genuine shift, since Toad did post something that could be interpreted as a towntell here. (It wasn't a towntell, although if I were a gambling man I'd gamble on toad being town right now from his behaviour in juxtaposition with previous behaviour)
Post #13:
So let me get this straight, you expect Trundle to know that you weren't advocating a lynch for him? But still pushed him fully knowing that he knew you weren't being serious? Gimme a break. No one's buying this.
Post #14:
Included for completeness. Nothing really to see here.
Post #15:
Simple post, useful post. Included for completeness. No issues here.

In conclusion, I'm voting Ness.

Back