We Need More Mods to Combat Spam Threads.

i don't have much to say that hasn't already been said, but I think the mods do a pretty good job tbh. as Tina said, they're not doing this for money or really any type of reward, it's their own free time they give up to monitor what goes on here. and personally, I think they have every right to remain on invisible as well, for the same reason that a lot of us prefer being invisible. they're still here regardless, and that's what matters. I can also say that at least 75% of the time I've seen a spam thread/troll/etc it's been taken care of pretty quickly.

however, I do agree that perma-banning/IP banning should definitely be a thing. besides the obvious spam threads, there's a handful of active users that literally do nothing but start **** with everyone or are just huge a**holes overall, and they usually don't stop no matter how many times they've been banned. it's something I've been noticing a lot more lately and it'd be nice to have that taken care of, but there's always gonna be someone like that everywhere, so.

but yea I really don't think we need more mods, everyone just needs to stop feeding the bull**** posts & that in itself would help a lot.

That's why you need to report things that are spam or hate or anything that doesn't comply with the rules, if there are mod on that are on invisible that'd be the way for them to find out, especially like Tina said, I'm pretty sure they're more apt to see the report and catch the spam before they get a chance to scroll each section and find it themselves. So really that's why there is a report button on each and every post and thread, they're there to USE.

I'm surprised there are only 7 mods on a site this large. Seven sounds good when there's 200 members or so. I think there should be at least 10-12 here.

Considering who's the OP.. why even.

Also I'm sure they do a good job, also if you don't like anything, just hit the report button and they'll take care of it.

I just skimmed through this thread and I have a few things to post form and outside perspective, and if people know me well then be prepared for an essay long post!!

First of all, this has been said, but most of the time mods are on invisible anyway, which is why you never really see them online - most of them don't seem to post unless they are posting something like "hey just a reminder this is against the rules", and usually stick to the mod boards. I'm not too sure which do/don't use invisible, but I'm pretty sure Jason is the only one who doesn't - then the rest turn it on and off at will. Tina explained this in her post, but obviously each staff member has reasoning for using invisible, and they probably have good reasoning (and I'd assume mostly comes down to availability as Tina said). Just from looking around the forum, as soon as there is an issue, most users seem to go straight to PM'ing the mod that's online, rather than using the report button, or make a thread in the HQ. Obviously this only means the mod that got sent the PM can see the issue, instead of all staff members, if the thread was reported. Then when this happens, I see a lot of petty and pointless reasons to PM a mod (I also remember reading something somewhere that users are still PM'ing mods when they stuff up sending collectibles/bells, instead of using the shop corrections), meaning said mod gets spammed with countless PM's, and having to sort through them is an issue when a lot of them are petty, making it harder to actually see threads that are in serious need of attention because they're flat out dealing with many minor issues racked up in their inbox. Mods also have a life outside of TBT blah blah blah, obviously they're not going to sit around trying to sort out forum issues, they have lives and tbh you shouldn't expect them to (obviously this would be helped if there were more staff members). But I honestly think a lot of the issues would be helped by user participation, rather than mod participation. If users properly knew when and where to report threads, then I think this would solve up a lot of issues. I know this because I have received plenty of PM's by users who seem to think I'm a mod for some reason. Not sure why they think I'm a mod, but this shows how little the forum members actually know about the report feature - they just PM the first available mod because they think that'll fix the issue quickly - when in reality the report button probably has a better outcome - and almost every single PM I've received has been something minor and petty that shouldn't really require that much attention, and should have been reported in the first place. And like just look at the TBT HQ, there are literally 3 threads on the first page about users getting locked out of their accounts due to the VTP twitter bot thing, they could have easily quickly browsed the first page to see the other threads of people with the same issue, and posted there asking for help, but instead they didn't bother browsing, and just made another thread of something that is only a few threads down and has been looked into. It's just a matter of users really lacking common sense in a way. They also make threads that could easily be answered by reading the stickied threads in certain boards, granted, these are usually made by newer members who probably don't know how to navigate the forums, but that still comes down to users not knowing how to forum (lol what is english). Whenever I join a new forum I make sure to look around a bit before asking any questions.
Idk I can explain more but then this post will get longer than it's going to be already and I cbf typing all that. Basically I'm trying to say I guess staff use invisible because the majority of the users I see here just PM the first online moderator whenever there's an issue instead of using the report button, regardless of how big the issue is - and this issue could effectively be somewhat resolved if users actually knew how to use forums and the report button. Obviously I could be totally wrong with this post, but that's just from what I see as an outside perspective.

Secondly, there really do need to be more staff members. Looking back on the past year, TBT lost 5 moderators - ZR, Kaiaa, Gallows, Thunder and Gandalf - and only replaced them with three, math equals the forums has 2 less staff members than this time last year. TBT has a really large user interface, and literally 7 staff members is not enough (even last year when there were 9 still wasn't enough). Lots of the staff have jobs or go to uni and it's physically impossible to have at least one moderator online at any given time given their personal lives, and the large activity of the forum with only 7 mods - but I'm guessing there's probably a reasoning as to why there isn't a lot of staff. Most of the forums users stick to the AC boards, and don't really ever leave them. This is obviously an issue because the staff have said they are most likely not going to promote a user to moderator if they do not know them well. Since a good 70% of the forums users post solely in the AC boards, that essentially means there are less users who are mod worthy. Then of the remaining 30% who don't post outside the AC boards, they're either too young, immature, trolls, or not serious, etc... making it difficult to actually find someone who is moderator material.

That said though, I've always thought TBT should join the ranks of other forums and have specific mods to moderate specific boards, and have "AC moderators" who specifically moderate the AC boards. Out of the current mods, the only one I think who still plays AC is LaBelle, and even then, I don't think she's that much of a hardcore player? Idk from my perspective it just seems a tad difficult (not sure if difficult is the correct word) to moderate the AC boards when you don't really play the game or even care that much for it. If they had specific AC mods who actually played and cared for the game, it'd make things a lot easier - the current mods could focus more on the non-AC boards which I guess they "understand" more, whilst the AC mods could moderate the AC boards and help them out - because from what I see in the AC boards, there are a lot of rule breaks, that most likely go unreported, because as I said before, lots of users don't really know how to use the report button properly. Mods don't go and seek out 24/7 posts that break rules, they rely upon the report button, but obviously having AC mods would have users checking these boards and hopefully cut down on the spam and what not on those boards. But that'll most likely never happen because I suggested it to Jeff a few years ago and he wasn't too keen on the idea so whatever, it's obviously not detrimental to the forum, but it's really something I can see being used effectively is put in place.

And with that said, most of what I want to say has already been said here - when there's a spam thread, report it and move on, don't post there, you're just adding to the problem - and whatever else people have posted here (such as the mods not being strict enough. Granted, I get why they're not super strict, but they do seem really softcore when it comes to rule breaks and stuff compared to a lot of other forums. Maybe that's because I've spent a lot of time on GPX forums where you'll literally get a 10% warn increase, minimum, no matter how big of an offence you make - make a two words post? INSTANT 10% WARN INCREASE. Here if you do that, they just send you a warning as a reminder for post quality, it's not until you actually regularly commit the offence that you get an infraction and risk being banned. On GPX you literally just have to make 5 posts that have like 4 words or less and you're banned for 2 weeks. It's called something like the 4/25 rule, where each post should be 4 words and 25 letters long, or else it's not worth posting - this is actually a good rule I like to use when on most forums anyway, if your pots is any shorter than that then it's probably not worth posting in the first place (but this whole tangent was totally irrelevant oops). Obviously this is really strict ruling and I don't think TBT should have the same rules, but it should be a lot stricter than what it is. Of course it's nice to come on TBT and not be bombarded by a lot of strict rules, but I still think TBT could be at least somewhat striver than what they already are. I really do think a lot of the issues could be resolves, or at least minimized if users actually knew how to deal with trolls/spam threads etc - but even still, TBT needs more staff members because it's severely understaffed for a forum of it's size.

I think permanent bans need to start happening.

I have mixed feelings about this. Keeping in mind this is a forum targeted at a very young age group, the mods will have to dismiss the mistakes children make while keeping them at a moderation. You can't just go around and indefinitely exclude a member from a forum which is made for people like them. Of course you'd say that that should apply to all other major forums then but like I said, it's a forum for a younger audience. Young people make mistakes, and you need to dismiss them while addressing them in a way they learn and don't repeat those mistakes again.

1) In regards to spam, just use the report button and don't post. Seriously, it's that simple. Many of these threads that are being referred to aren't even reported for possibly an hour or two, and are only reported by one person if even reported at all.

Just report the thread, move on, and resist engaging in it. It can be hard sometimes, but it's so simple and does wonders for the forum. (and by the way, that's one of the qualities we look for in future staff!)

2) We can always use more staff, but as you can probably tell we're incredibly picky and for good reason. I know this may sound rude, but I do not see mass droves of users on the forum right now which would meet my expectations for a moderator.

With that being said, I do expect us to open up applications again in the near future, so you can look out for that if you think you'd be qualified. And of course we're always keeping names in our head to consider regardless of applications being open or not!

3) Permanent bans sound nice on paper but rarely work in reality. At best, they can serve as a punishment for losing that account's history (and collectibles/bells) if the user values that highly, but that's about it. If someone wants to remain on the forum and are determined enough, they will with another account eventually. That's already been discussed in this thread and I agree with everything said. There is no such thing as a truly permanent ban on the internet even if we wanted to.

Also, people really do improve and change themselves in time, especially as our nature of being a forum attractive to younger users. I'll even leave you some juicy gossip as an example: I was permanently banned once upon a time, a long long time ago! Now I run the place. Clearly that didn't end up so permanent after all, which is kind of the point too.

That said though, I've always thought TBT should join the ranks of other forums and have specific mods to moderate specific boards
I would like to recommend some users, if I may.
(I have been thinking about this suggestion for a while, its just the people who have contributed most - imo - and are most mature in the specific board.)

Welcoming Board - Megatastic
TBT Marketplace - Sholee
Brewster's Cafe - Celestefey
Museum - WonderK (if he returns after uni)
Belltree HQ - Jake.
Animal Crossing (General Boards) - 3DewDrops, (some others but I don't go down there enough to know exactly who else)

Last edited:
Also, people really do improve and change themselves in time, especially as our nature of being a forum attractive to younger users. I'll even leave you some juicy gossip as an example: I was permanently banned once upon a time, a long long time ago! Now I run the place. Clearly that didn't end up so permanent after all, which is kind of the point too.

^Pretty much, I used to be a massive ****poster, but now I'm not. Well, I mean, not as much at least... And if we don't bait the spammers they will lose interest and maybe, just maybe, become actual good and active posters on here. There's always hope!

Oh and in regard to specific board mods, or I guess "local" mods as they would be called back in the day, we have considered that a few times in the past. (referring to Jake and Jacob's posts) Unfortunately it always breaks down for a few reasons. Namely that we would have to significantly change how we work as a team currently.

The great part of our current system of only having global moderators is that everyone is essentially on the same level and can be privy to everything. We discuss everything together and everyone has access to the same areas. That would have to change with local mods and could get messy.

Also, reports would be difficult as well as under our current system it would either be all reports or no reports. Once again, it doesn't make sense to give local mods access to all reports outside of their jurisdiction, but being a moderator without any reports wouldn't be suitable either.

So for those two reasons, among others I can't get into, the concept of local mods hasn't really gotten off the ground. Not to say that it's not impossible, but it's not as simple as it would seem at first glance.

****ing Snip

And with that said, most of what I want to say has already been said here - when there's a spam thread, report it and move on, don't post there, you're just adding to the problem - and whatever else people have posted here (such as the mods not being strict enough. Granted, I get why they're not super strict, but they do seem really softcore when it comes to rule breaks and stuff compared to a lot of other forums. Maybe that's because I've spent a lot of time on GPX forums where you'll literally get a 10% warn increase, minimum, no matter how big of an offence you make - make a two words post? INSTANT 10% WARN INCREASE. Here if you do that, they just send you a warning as a reminder for post quality, it's not until you actually regularly commit the offence that you get an infraction and risk being banned. On GPX you literally just have to make 5 posts that have like 4 words or less and you're banned for 2 weeks. It's called something like the 4/25 rule, where each post should be 4 words and 25 letters long, or else it's not worth posting - this is actually a good rule I like to use when on most forums anyway, if your pots is any shorter than that then it's probably not worth posting in the first place (but this whole tangent was totally irrelevant oops). Obviously this is really strict ruling and I don't think TBT should have the same rules, but it should be a lot stricter than what it is. Of course it's nice to come on TBT and not be bombarded by a lot of strict rules, but I still think TBT could be at least somewhat striver than what they already are. I really do think a lot of the issues could be resolves, or at least minimized if users actually knew how to deal with trolls/spam threads etc - but even still, TBT needs more staff members because it's severely understaffed for a forum of it's size.

Please proof read before posting :rolleyes:

also on the topic if what you are saying is true then the mods need to make some sort of announcement or something about using the report button also I should be mod

- - - Post Merge - - -

I think perma (or at least 6 month/over a year) bans are a good solution. If there's a user that's constantly spamming again and again after several bans, maybe an extended ban will give them time to grow up a little.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Trolls tend to create spam threads when they don't see any mods online. Being on invisible is a good strategy for a number of reasons. Watching threads unfold is a major one.

I wouldn't say 6 month bans would do anything ;)

Last edited:
guys let's be real, we need more members to combat the oligarchy ;)

is what i would've said when i joined this forum. i honestly believe that i have matured over the course of my membership here, and have made some great friends. while i don't get out of the basement much and thus don't have much witness testimony to the apparent corruption that is spam threads, i do believe that tbt is fine as it is, and that the staff is doing a beautiful job of keeping the place alive. i do love how they usually have themed avatars (back when kaiaa started the harry potter one i was laughing so hard), and i also love how mich work they really do put into these forums. heck, i love the mods themselves~
and, justin, i'm probs not on your list of qualified people, and i understand why XD

I just skimmed through this thread and I have a few things to post form and outside perspective, and if people know me well then be prepared for an essay long post!!

First of all, this has been said, but most of the time mods are on invisible anyway, which is why you never really see them online - most of them don't seem to post unless they are posting something like "hey just a reminder this is against the rules", and usually stick to the mod boards. I'm not too sure which do/don't use invisible, but I'm pretty sure Jason is the only one who doesn't - then the rest turn it on and off at will. Tina explained this in her post, but obviously each staff member has reasoning for using invisible, and they probably have good reasoning (and I'd assume mostly comes down to availability as Tina said). Just from looking around the forum, as soon as there is an issue, most users seem to go straight to PM'ing the mod that's online, rather than using the report button, or make a thread in the HQ. Obviously this only means the mod that got sent the PM can see the issue, instead of all staff members, if the thread was reported. Then when this happens, I see a lot of petty and pointless reasons to PM a mod (I also remember reading something somewhere that users are still PM'ing mods when they stuff up sending collectibles/bells, instead of using the shop corrections), meaning said mod gets spammed with countless PM's, and having to sort through them is an issue when a lot of them are petty, making it harder to actually see threads that are in serious need of attention because they're flat out dealing with many minor issues racked up in their inbox. Mods also have a life outside of TBT blah blah blah, obviously they're not going to sit around trying to sort out forum issues, they have lives and tbh you shouldn't expect them to (obviously this would be helped if there were more staff members). But I honestly think a lot of the issues would be helped by user participation, rather than mod participation. If users properly knew when and where to report threads, then I think this would solve up a lot of issues. I know this because I have received plenty of PM's by users who seem to think I'm a mod for some reason. Not sure why they think I'm a mod, but this shows how little the forum members actually know about the report feature - they just PM the first available mod because they think that'll fix the issue quickly - when in reality the report button probably has a better outcome - and almost every single PM I've received has been something minor and petty that shouldn't really require that much attention, and should have been reported in the first place. And like just look at the TBT HQ, there are literally 3 threads on the first page about users getting locked out of their accounts due to the VTP twitter bot thing, they could have easily quickly browsed the first page to see the other threads of people with the same issue, and posted there asking for help, but instead they didn't bother browsing, and just made another thread of something that is only a few threads down and has been looked into. It's just a matter of users really lacking common sense in a way. They also make threads that could easily be answered by reading the stickied threads in certain boards, granted, these are usually made by newer members who probably don't know how to navigate the forums, but that still comes down to users not knowing how to forum (lol what is english). Whenever I join a new forum I make sure to look around a bit before asking any questions.
Idk I can explain more but then this post will get longer than it's going to be already and I cbf typing all that. Basically I'm trying to say I guess staff use invisible because the majority of the users I see here just PM the first online moderator whenever there's an issue instead of using the report button, regardless of how big the issue is - and this issue could effectively be somewhat resolved if users actually knew how to use forums and the report button. Obviously I could be totally wrong with this post, but that's just from what I see as an outside perspective.

Secondly, there really do need to be more staff members. Looking back on the past year, TBT lost 5 moderators - ZR, Kaiaa, Gallows, Thunder and Gandalf - and only replaced them with three, math equals the forums has 2 less staff members than this time last year. TBT has a really large user interface, and literally 7 staff members is not enough (even last year when there were 9 still wasn't enough). Lots of the staff have jobs or go to uni and it's physically impossible to have at least one moderator online at any given time given their personal lives, and the large activity of the forum with only 7 mods - but I'm guessing there's probably a reasoning as to why there isn't a lot of staff. Most of the forums users stick to the AC boards, and don't really ever leave them. This is obviously an issue because the staff have said they are most likely not going to promote a user to moderator if they do not know them well. Since a good 70% of the forums users post solely in the AC boards, that essentially means there are less users who are mod worthy. Then of the remaining 30% who don't post outside the AC boards, they're either too young, immature, trolls, or not serious, etc... making it difficult to actually find someone who is moderator material.

That said though, I've always thought TBT should join the ranks of other forums and have specific mods to moderate specific boards, and have "AC moderators" who specifically moderate the AC boards. Out of the current mods, the only one I think who still plays AC is LaBelle, and even then, I don't think she's that much of a hardcore player? Idk from my perspective it just seems a tad difficult (not sure if difficult is the correct word) to moderate the AC boards when you don't really play the game or even care that much for it. If they had specific AC mods who actually played and cared for the game, it'd make things a lot easier - the current mods could focus more on the non-AC boards which I guess they "understand" more, whilst the AC mods could moderate the AC boards and help them out - because from what I see in the AC boards, there are a lot of rule breaks, that most likely go unreported, because as I said before, lots of users don't really know how to use the report button properly. Mods don't go and seek out 24/7 posts that break rules, they rely upon the report button, but obviously having AC mods would have users checking these boards and hopefully cut down on the spam and what not on those boards. But that'll most likely never happen because I suggested it to Jeff a few years ago and he wasn't too keen on the idea so whatever, it's obviously not detrimental to the forum, but it's really something I can see being used effectively is put in place.

I agree that TBT should have a 4/25 rule. If your post is more than 4 paragraphs long and takes 25 minutes to read, then you should receive an infraction.

on the note of things we need, did all the obnoxious cutesy text people quit the site or just hole themselves up in the art/trading/basement boards? because I've just noticed that I don't think I've seen any of their kind since I returned from holidays

I love TBT so much but honestly these spammy threads frustrate me. What we don't need is more mods, we need junior mods or invisible mods or something. Like maybe they get a new mod, this one's an invisible mod. AKA you can't go to their profile, you can't pm them or anything. They just go through the forums, looking at threads and making sure there's no spammy or flaming hot argument threads. They should be able to lock a thread. Whether or not the involved users get any warnings, bans etc, is up to the admins. Probably stupid mostly because I'm a huge dummy but whatever. It's just an idea and that's all it'll ever be.

but we constantly have invisible mods

unless you mean like some person(s) that have moderator as their permissions user group but their display group is a normal member

Last edited:
It's ridiculous. I'd like to understand why certain threads aren't locked or deleted as soon as they're posted. I believe that this is the only solution to the problem. I do realize that the staff team is awfully busy but perhaps some new members who are able to devote all their time to this site are needed.

Well as it's been stated on this thread, since there aren't a lot of mods atm, they can't be on 24/7. I saw Justin's post on the matter & I gotta say, maybe it's time to start trying new things and giving people a chance because this place is huge & honestly needs more moderation. Nobody is "born" a moderator, they learn and are taught with experience. Just take note of those people who assert themselves positively in the community & consider your options. I know how difficult it can be but sometimes you have to set your pride aside, it also means less of a huge work load on you guys when you have work more evenly dispersed with a larger staff.
I think permanent bans need to start happening.
Depends on the severity of what the persons done. Permabans are often considered too harsh & usually they find a way back on the forums through an alt account. If mod team determines this person will likely never change, then that's probably the best option.
Also, idk if this forum gives restrictions but I would consider this an option. It's basically like you're being placed on watch & severely restricted from a lot of stuff based on an accumulation of infractions. For example, you can't participate in events, no icon or signature, and you can't buy from the bell tree shop or gain any bells for your posts. It's like a punishment but it doesn't completely ban the person because maybe they still contribute to the community but they need some work to do in terms of posting, behavior, etc.
It doesn't lead straight to a ban, but if they catch 3 strikes, they're banned for x amount of months. This was a "reformation" kind of thing that a forum I moderated on used to do. A vast majority of the time, it actually improved the member and they changed. I would imagine vbulliten has this feature but that's up to the admins.

We all have our own individual reasons and we aren't required to explain. But y'know what? I'll indulge you on mine. I turn invisible on/off depending on how available I actually am - and right now I'm not available as much due to health issues and being only three months away from graduating university. Even if I have the forum open, I'm not actively browsing much of that time. I usually just look for a quick minute or so at the moment.

People complain if they've messaged you and you don't prioritise their issue and deal with it immediately, as if they expect us to drop everything else for them that second - and some people can be incredibly rude about it. People treat us as if we're paid customer service staff forgetting that this is a volunteer position. We're here in our free time.

I understand where you're coming from, but it still really doesn't help if you need to talk to a mod & they're all unavailable.
I suppose an announcement could be made saying that moderators are busy & even if they appear online they may be doing things behind the scenes and can't answer immediately. I see firsthand how impatient people can be on this forum, but I don't think it'd be rude to just respond at a later time if you legitimately have things to do.
On that note, one thing I hate is when threads get randomly locked without a word, sometimes it's not obvious why it'd even be locked. pls change this lol.

I liked Jake's post & I could see this forum having a specific mod for each section, but then again it would probably restrict a lot of things too. I see that specific forum modding works on a lot of huge forums like this, and it's actually surprising that this place is doing pretty well with such a small amount of staff. It's something to consider I suppose.

I understand where you're coming from, but it still really doesn't help if you need to talk to a mod & they're all unavailable.
I suppose an announcement could be made saying that moderators are busy & even if they appear online they may be doing things behind the scenes and can't answer immediately. I see firsthand how impatient people can be on this forum, but I don't think it'd be rude to just respond at a later time if you legitimately have things to do.
On that note, one thing I hate is when threads get randomly locked without a word, sometimes it's not obvious why it'd even be locked. pls change this lol.

I agree with this. A thread which contains the current status of the availability of the mods would be very helpful for members, which can be updated by the mod depending on how much of free time they have. As of you guys volunteering for all this, it really is appreciated and we couldn't thank you more for your hard work but since you're doing this you know what you've gotten into. It's a huge forum, and running it requires loads of time and passion. If you don't have the time for it, you don't have the time for it. I'm not saying it's a bad thing whatsoever, of course real life comes first before anything else, but if you don't have enough time for it you definitely do need more people to distribute work to, so that someone else can get to problems if you can't. That being said, a group PMing system would be great, so that if a mod is unavailable, another mod actually gets the issue and addresses it as soon as possible. The current PMing feature only allows one on one conversations, so if the mod is not available, the issue isn't addressed until they can. Hence the delay and the inconvenience to the user.

In my opinion it's all about refining the posting experience. If you guys don't see anyone as a potential moderator on here, it's a good idea to open up applications, something you guys have already considered for the future. You might just be surprised.

Back