• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

The METAL thread! \m/

Wow! It must've been awesome seeing so many concerts from so many great bands. I'm seeing some of my favorite artists in that list, too. 🤩 I haven't been to any concerts, but I'd love to someday - Hopefully all the bands I like play in Montreal sometime soon, haha.

And I didn't know that little fact about Green Jelly, but it's pretty interesting. And I'm sorry to hear about you losing your tape collection, that must've sucked big-time. :(

Yeah! I really dig the "Frantic-tick-tick-tick-tock" line in that song in particular. Apparently St. Anger is generally disliked by the fans, but I really don't think the album is that bad. (I'll bet it's 100x better than Lulu... XD)

I'll be honest, Take A Look In The Mirror is a pretty 'meh' Korn album. Even though I prefer it over their newer stuff, I still find it a bit boring. The only real standout, in my opinion, is "Y'all Want a Single"... But who doesn't know that song?
Yep! Losing my tape collection definitely sucked! I had soooooooo much!!! my hubs and I luuuuuuuv getting to see our favorite bands live in concert. It’s been a long time since he and I’ve gotten to go together. I did get to go see Guns N’ Roses and Alice In Chains this year when they came to Houston so that was absolutely ridiculously fantastic. My favorite song of all time is November rain and I know how to play it on piano and getting to see Axel play it on piano was absolutely one of my Greatest moments of all time!!! I also got to go to Ozzfest to see system of a down and disturbed, dragon force, Lacuna Coil, and Hatebreed, and of course, ozzy, and black label society and that was the first time I got to see Avenged Sevenfold as well. Hubs and my first concert together was to see 30 seconds to Mars, which was pretty awesome as well even though I almost died lol. (we were in the pit and they rushed the stage causing me to lose one of my shoes ha ha ha and then later on we were about 6 to 10 people back when one of the bands said part through the middle and do a wall of death Luckily, I was able to get out of that and move areas before they killed me.😂😂😂 but that also allowed me to get on the barrier on side stage, so I got a really good view). Another one of our big ones was the family values tour back in 2007 when we got to see Korn, hell yeah, trivium, flyleaf and my favorite, evanescence. We were also in the pit for that one, and I was on the the front barrier, so I got really good pictures of that one if I could only find them because they were on an old phone. We’ve also seen Muse (fanTAStic show!) and later, Radiohead, and did another family values tour where we got to see Korn and Avenged Sevenfold again which was another ridiculously fantastic show. Another really good one that nobody knows of is a band called fair to Midland and they’re one of my absolute favorites but they’re not together anymore and we got to see them in Austin and meet them all which was pretty awesome.
Post automatically merged:

Just wanna say, Motorhead do a damn decent rendition of Enter Sandman:
Ha awesome!!! I got my brother, a motorhead wallet for Christmas 😂😂😂

Always find it a bit odd when an older artist or band decides to cover a newer one (a good example of this would be when Johnny Cash covered Soundgarden and Nine Inch Nails. That was actually even odder, considering the type of music Cash usually performed). But that's indeed a decent cover of "Enter Sandman".

Also, Bluegrass Metal? Yeeeeehaaaaawww!!!!!

Not really related, but Crowbar's "In Times Of Sorrow" came to mind while listening to that, since it's also an instrumental with a southern, folk-like tinge:

I listened to the album "Lulu" by Lou Reed and Metallica... Yeah, I can see why fans hate this album so much, and I definitely agree that it's just terrible. At its best, the album is boring and it drags on forever. (Basically 1½ hours of lazy instrumentals and weird lyrics, where the only thing that James Hetfield sings to my knowledge is "I am the table".)

However, I read the Wikipedia article before jumping into the album, and some of the reviews from critics are pretty funny. XD Here's one of them:
Essayist and pop culture writer Chuck Klosterman, in his review for the website Grantland, wrote, "If the Red Hot Chili Peppers acoustically covered the 12 worst Primus songs for Starbucks, it would still be (slightly) better than this."

Moving on from that total mess of an album - I've officially listened to all of Metallica's studio albums, and I decided to rank them all. (Not sure how similar or different it is from the general consensus, but whatever.)
1. The Black Album
2. ...And Justice for All
3. Kill 'Em All
4. Master of Puppets
5. Ride the Lightning
6. Garage, Inc.
7. 72 Seasons
8. St. Anger
9. Reload
10. Load
11. Hardwired... to Self-Destruct
12. Death Magnetic
13. Lulu

Last edited:
The last time I listened to something new from Metallica was back in 2008 (in particular, the singles from Death Magnetic). So I haven't even heard a minute from anything off of Lulu. However, I am aware of the negative reputation that album has. I get "morbid curiosity" about Lulu sometimes and wonder just how awful it actually is, but since I haven't ever cared for Lou Reed or The Velvet Underground, I don't really feel compelled to go out of my way to listen to that album (might just sample a track or two though, he he).

Also, I just noticed that this thread recently got moved to the Café section (I always wondered why it was in The Basement instead of here).

I'm glad to know this thread exists. I wasn't aware of it for the longest time since I don't spend much time in The Basement. I'm not a hardcore metal fan, meaning I don't keep up with every album released and I don't have a clear understanding of the different sub-genres. I just know what I like and most of it falls somewhere in the metal/hard rock range.

My favorite bands are Megadeth, Disturbed, Tool, Rammstein, Aldious, Slayer, Within Temptation, Korn, and X Japan.

To chime in on the Metallica conversation, I gave up on them a while back. I will always love their first 5 albums, but, with the exception of only a few songs, I didn't like anything they did from Load through Garage, Inc so I quit following them entirely. Well, technically I did like S&M, but that was mostly old content redone so I'm not really counting it. I haven't heard anything from their newer albums.

Remember the time when Cannibal Corpse made a cameo appearance in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective? Trippy.

Here's another video of Jim Carrey talking about Napalm Death:

I was going through all the images that I have on my mobile device (in an effort to clear up space) and I found a collage of Alternative and Nu Metal band logos. How many of these are you familiar with?

147b97a1cba639aa4682bc052f5cb6e6 (1).jpg

I know the following bands:

1. Deftones
  2. Mushroomhead
  3. Hed PE
  4. 36 Crazyfists
  5. Crossbreed
  6. 40° Below Summer
  7. Otep
  8. Limp Bizkit
  9. Fear Factory
  10. Godsmack
  11. Spineshank
  12. Dry Kill Logic
  13. Snot
  14. Flaw
  15. Dope
  16. Eths
  17. Coal Chamber
  18. Soulfly
  19. System Of A Down
  20. Adema
  21. American Head Charge
  22. Static-X
  23. Ill Niño
  24. Disturbed
  25. Korn
  26. Slipknot
  27. Papa Roach
  28. Nonpoint
  29. Skindred
  30. Nothingface
  31. Motograter
  32. P.O.D.
  33. Kittie
  34. Powerman 5000
  35. Rage Against The Machine
  36. Primer 55
  37. Drowning Pool (Kind of hard to see this one)
  38. Crazy Town
PS: The band logo that's next to Static-X looks familiar, but I don't recognize it (Demon Hunter?).

Last edited:
Damn, looking at the collage made me realize that I haven't listened to that many alternative/nu-metal artists. 😭 Obviously I know the popular ones like Korn, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, and System Of A Down. I've also heard some songs from Deftones, Fear Factory, Dope, Soulfly, Disturbed, Papa Roach, Rage Against The Machine, and Drowning Pool. (There might be a few others on the list, but I don't recognize their logos!)

I haven’t listened to music in awhile but my favorite metal band is Iron Maiden. I love how their music covers history and other themes 🙂. I think they’re the only metal band I like; the rest are rock, punk, alternative, or a different genre entirely.

I was going through all the images that I have on my mobile device (in an effort to clear up space) and I found a collage of Alternative and Nu Metal band logos. How many of these are you familiar with?

View attachment 554700

I know the following bands:

1. Deftones
  2. Mushroomhead
  3. Hed PE
  4. 36 Crazyfists
  5. Crossbreed
  6. 40° Below Summer
  7. Otep
  8. Limp Bizkit
  9. Fear Factory
  10. Godsmack
  11. Spineshank
  12. Dry Kill Logic
  13. Snot
  14. Flaw
  15. Dope
  16. Eths
  17. Coal Chamber
  18. Soulfly
  19. System Of A Down
  20. Adema
  21. American Head Charge
  22. Static-X
  23. Ill Niño
  24. Disturbed
  25. Korn
  26. Slipknot
  27. Papa Roach
  28. Nonpoint
  29. Skindred
  30. Nothingface
  31. Motograter
  32. P.O.D.
  33. Kittie
  34. Powerman 5000
  35. Rage Against The Machine
  36. Primer 55
  37. Drowning Pool (Kind of hard to see this one)
  38. Crazy Town
PS: The band logo that's next to Static-X looks familiar, but I don't recognize it (Demon Hunter?).
This was fun to look through. I don't know nearly as many bands as you, but it was a good reminder of some I'd forgotten.

I've categorized mine slightly.
✅ = I own some of their albums.
🤘 = I'm a fan. I've heard and like more than just 1 or 2 songs.

1. Deftones
2. Mushroomhead
3. Otep
4. Limp Bizket
5. Fear Factory 🤘✅
6. Godsmack 🤘✅
7. Spineshank
8. Dry Kill Logic
9. Snot
10. Dope
11. Coal Chamber
12. Soulfly
13. System of a Down 🤘
14. Static X 🤘
15. Disturbed 🤘✅
16. Korn 🤘✅
17. Slipknot 🤘
18. Papa Roach 🤘
19. P.O.D. 🤘
20. Rage Against the Machine 🤘
21. Drowning Pool
22. Crazy Town

P.O.D.'s song Youth of the Nation brings up so many tragic memories and sadly it's still relevant today.

@ZeldaCrossing64, here are some Alt/Nu Metal songs that I recommend (from bands featured in the aforementioned collage). They might not all be your cup of tea, but it wouldn't hurt to check them out when you have time (putting the videos in a spoiler because thread pages take longer to load when there's a whole bunch of them).

Godsmack - Awake

Kittie - Brackish

Flaw - Only The Strong

Ill Niño - What Comes Around

Eths - Adonai (One reason I included this band is because they sing in French, heh)

Nu metal is a sub-genre I still need to explore. I've heard some stuff but not as much as I'd like. I'll check those vids out myself. I'm familiar w/ Godsmack but not the rest.

@ZeldaCrossing64, here are some Alt/Nu Metal songs that I recommend (from bands featured in the aforementioned collage). They might not all be your cup of tea, but it wouldn't hurt to check them out when you have time (putting the videos in a spoiler because thread pages take longer to load when there's a whole bunch of them).
I listened to these songs earlier, and I don't think there was a single one I disliked! I've heard of some bands like Godsmack and Kittie, but never listened to their music until now. I think my favorites in that list were Brackish by Kittie and Adonai by Eths (I'm always up for some French metal, hehe).

Actually, I'm pretty interested in some of these bands (particularly Kittie), so I might check out more of their songs.

I have to ask, what sub-genres are you guys into most? I myself listen to a lot of traditional heavy metal, power metal, doom metal, thrash metal, death metal, and black metal. I listen to a lot of other sub-genres too but those are the ones I probably listen to most. I definitely wanna explore more nu metal and metalcore though!

I don't really listen to a wide array of subgenres, but my favorite is definitely nu-metal. Most of my top favorite bands are nu-metal artists, heh. I also like death and thrash metal quite a bit.

Oh, and I'd like to get into different subgenres as well, especially black and heavy metal. (I'm looking for recommendations if anyone knows any good black/heavy metal songs or artists.)

As far as black metal goes, my personal recommendations would be:

Immortal
Rotting Christ
Enslaved
Satyricon
Melechesh
Dissection
Mare Cognitum
Uada
Deathspell Omega
Wolves in the Throne Room
Bal-Sagoth
Emperor
Anaal Nathrakh
Darkthrone
Hail Spirit Noir
Old Man's Child
Inquisition
Sigh
Sojourner
Darkspace
Panopticon
Dimmu Borgir
Absu
Carpathian Forest
Carach Angren
Liege Lord
Demons & Wizards

..if I think of others, I'll add them.
Post automatically merged:

Oh and for straight up heavy metal, I would say:

Judas Priest
White Wizzard
Motorhead
Striker
Manilla Road
Enforcer
A Sound of Thunder
Leverage
Grim Reaper
Ghost
U.D.O.
Accept
Dio
Rainbow
Visigoth
Eternal Champion
Riot
Metal Church
Sanctuary
Iced Earth
Manowar
Cage
Helstar
Twisted Tower Dire
Vicious Rumors
Savatage
Jag Panzer
Chastain
Steel Prophet
Pharaoh

...decided to throw in some USPM artists as well, as USPM is very close in sound to heavy metal. There's plenty more artists than that but that's all I could think of atm. Will add more as I remember them.

Last edited:
Here are some Heavy Metal suggestions:

Dio - Rainbow In The Dark (Corey Taylor also covered this song, but I don't think his version is as great as the original)

Mercyful Fate - A Dangerous Meeting (Be forewarned; the vocals are an acquired taste!)

Sortilège - Délire D'un Fou (Since you have a fondness for Metal in French)

Leatherwolf - The Calling

Danzig - Mother

If you don't dig them, that's alright (at least you gave them a shot).

There are many sub-sub-subgenres of Black Metal, so it's much more difficult deciding what to choose (I'll post some songs later when I have more time).

Back