What do you think of the mermaid series?

The_Storyteller

Bells
Arcade Tokens
Hi all!

So I really like the mermaid series. I think it's beautiful and whimsical, and it goes really welll with other furniture items and series as long as you get creative with it. I've seen it look really great in houses where they mix it with other stuff, and when I first found it on the island, I collected it with zeal because it's just so lovely.

But then I went off it a bit because I thought it was hard to carry through the rest of the house, and I like having themed houses. However, since Mayor Willow has a sort of beachy theme to her house and clothing, I had a strike of genius! I can use one of the exhibit rooms to create a mermaid "chill" room where she can go to relax, with a bar and some books and stuff. I'll probably mix it with the alpine series as well as some of the Welcome Amiibo items to break up the pink and purple a bit.

Maybe that's another problem I have with it? It's all just kind of pink and purple, and coupled with the carpet and wallpaper, it's a bit... much? What do you guys think of the mermaid series? Does it work? Do you like it? What other items do you put it with to tone it down, or do you just have it in all of its pink pastel glory?

I love the mermaid series! Before I switched up my mayor's house to a different theme I had the main room be a sea themed room. It had some pave furniture (just thought it looked nice with it) and stuff like the bottled ship, crab clock, jellyfish lamp, football-fish lamp, pirate stuff, diving helmet etc. I haven't tried much other furniture with it but I've seen people pair it with the kiki n lala series and the rococo furniture customized to pink/white!

I love it! I don't love everything pastel but I love this series. I just made it into a little spa room with slippers, robe, whirlpool bath and other bathroom items and was very happy with that!

ETA: I really love the idea of your mermaid chill room! That sounds amazing :)

Last edited:
ETA: I really love the idea of your mermaid chill room! That sounds amazing :)

Thanks! It was basically an inspired idea and I just came up with it on the fly. I think you can do really interesting things with the furniture in ACNL as long as you're creative about it.

I like the set, but I really can't stand how it looks with the wallpaper and flooring. It's also a hard set to mix and match in my opinion.

i think it's pretty nice, but not for me :') my rooms are a lot more minimalist, and the rooms that are pinky are more subdued.

i think that (like i do with most sets) mermaid set pieces would look better if they were used separately, instead of being used collectively to make a mermaid room. i think it's always prettiest when players are creative and mix sets and use only certain pieces bc then it's a lot more unique- and this preference of mine applies also to the mermaid set!

@ 5cm/s, I totally agree! I'm such a fan of mixing non-matching items together. Especially with the customisation function, I think that items not from the same series can look better together than having an entire furniture set all in one room. There are so many great items in ACNL, it's interesting to see how other people use them together.

I used to hate it, but now I really like it. I've grown to love combining sets so finding sets with odd color schemes is really fun to me.

I like the Mermaid Series a bunch! Like you, however, I like it in bits and pieces. It's currently in two rooms of my pastel-like home, but only a chair in one and the vanity in the bathroom. It goes well with other bright, neutral pieces (I especially like it with the Minimalist Set, Sanrio, the Regal Set...). I like the stars on it and the color is pretty. I've never used the flooring or wallpaper, however. It feels too aquatic then, which is never really a theme I'm striving for.

I really adore the idea of a mermaid "chill" bar area as you put it! That sounds very creative and I'm sure the Mermaid Set would be perfect for it!

It's one of the most disappointing sets to me, because I love the design but not the colors. I really wish it could be customized to another palette, because the actual items themselves are my style (even one pastel color in a gradient would be fine - it's the three different colors together that make it gaudy or just overwhelming to me)

Last edited:
I can't say I'm a fan of it to be honest. But saying that I don't partially like pink, pastel furniture. It just looks too kiddish and awkward for me. Plus it wouldn't fit in with any of my other themes

I don't mind it. I like using some of the furniture as accent pieces. I used a couple for my underwater room.

I like a couple of the pieces here and there, but overall it's not really for me.

The mermaid series is so pretty but it's such a pain to get! You have to spend so long in the tours to get all of the medals, especially early on.

And yet here I am, preparing to grind for it anyway because it goes so well with the Kiki & Lala series... sigh...

I think it's nice mixed and by itself but if I were to use it, I probably wouldn't include the floor and wallpaper. I'm not really fond of them. I think it makes the room look a bit much and over the top. I do like themed furniture as long as it's something realistic (and something that'd be in a house) and I think the mermaid furniture has a perfect balance to it. Some of the furniture you probably would find in a house and some of it you wouldn't. When I first got the game I was determined to collect it all, and I think I did at some point with help from my brother, lmao. I think I'd mix it though, with something like the minimal furniture if I put it in my house, so it wouldn't look too excessive.

Back