• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

What did Welcome Amiibo do to the economy?

Bells
Hi! I used to be really big into trading AC items back in 2014, though mostly on reddit. I fell out of it in 2015, and only came back very briefly after Welcome Amiibo to catalog the Moss Ball and that one Sanrio bridge and then disappear (worth it btw.)

I remember from my time before WA villagers trading for 10 million+ bells, the Korea/Japan/Europe DLC items being hot stuff, ect. I was wondering: What happened after Welcome Amiibo came out? Did villager prices tank? Did the DLC items hold their value/increase? What happened?

TY for taking the time to answer! Just curious about what happened to a community I used to take part in <3

my memory is awful but if i remember correctly, while DLC items were still fairly sought after, villager values did decrease a bit as it became a little easier to obtain villagers via amiibo rather than hoping to get a villager from the campsite or from somebody else

It made the villager prices so affordable and pre-Welcome Amiibo, Marshal was almost at a same price of Raymond (New Horizons) but being obtainable via Amiibo, his price decreased around to 50%ish? Once the update rolled.

The items remained very sought after esp. Sanrio ones.

lol I will let you in on a secret, it wasn’t really amiibo update that made the changes in prices and i’m not only talking about villager prices. all unorderables, hybrids and region exlusives lost their value, even those you can’t find in RVs. update’s timing crossed easier cfw release dates and new hacking entrypoints’ arrival. this combination made a lot of people return to the game, hack everything, get everything and exchange for tbt. which means a big excess of items in market even for igb traders. i personally don’t even bother trading anymore. too much work for so little reward

Back