• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

What censorship case in media do you think was the worst?

Nintendo removing the toilets from the SNES version of Theme Park was pretty silly.

Nintendo taking all the Blood and Gore out of the SNES Version of Mortal Kombat was pretty ridiculous, too

Back then, Nintendo's censorship codes were very strict. One of the cases was censorship of religion. At one time, no references to religion were allowed by any means, first-party or third-party. In fact, the censorship of religion was taken even more seriously during the NES era and SNES era than it was during the N64 era. But yes, whatever you mentioned did seem ridiculous.

In my opinion, the worst Nintendo-related censorship was the changing of Ganondorf's blood from red to green. Even the uncensored version was too gross for me. So there's no side of the battle I would pick in that case.

Last edited:
Back then, Nintendo's censorship codes were very strict. One of the cases was censorship of religion. At one time, no references to religion were allowed by any means, first-party or third-party. In fact, the censorship of religion was taken even more seriously during the NES era and SNES era than it was during the N64 era. But yes, whatever you mentioned did seem ridiculous.

I mean, just for localization stuff, but yeah. No way in hell would the Megami Tensei franchise have debuted via the Famicom otherwise.

In my opinion, the worst Nintendo-related censorship was the changing of Ganondorf's blood from red to green. Even the uncensored version was too gross for me. So there's no side of the battle I would pick in that case.

I like my red blood cart. It is glitch haven.

Back then, Nintendo's censorship codes were very strict.

Not always for the worse. Ice Climber for the NES is the game that comes to mind. The Japanese original had you clubbing cute little seals but in the western version they swapped the seals for snow monsters/yetis. I think that was a good decision by Nintendo to avoid some controversy even if I'm not a fan of censorship.

Oh yeah, I also saw one where they put a mustache on Ruby to make her look like a man when she fuses with Sapphire. Don't remember which country did that but wow... Why bother showing Steven Universe if you are going to change something like that? SU is such a wonderful show for LGBTQ people in my opinion, so changing those fundamental things actually undermines its message and one of the reasons the show even exists.

it was supposedly censored in russia but the whole thing is fake. they never put a mustache on ruby.

- - - Post Merge - - -

In the su ep 'the return' they censored garnet being destabilized by jasper's gem destabilizer. I think it was censored everywhere but the us.

According to the SU wiki, in some places they censored the instructions for the Heimlich Maneuver on Do or Donut and later when Steven performs it on Lars.

Of all the dumb censorship, that one makes zero sense for me. Better make sure kids don't know how to save choking victims?

When they turned the Sailor Moon lesbians into cousins, that was wild.

Something that really pisses me off though is how Sleeping Dogs got censored for the german Steam community.
I watched an american play it through and couldn't find any difference, the gore parts and shootings are all the same iirc.
The thing though is, that all of the DLCs are not avaiable for the butchered censored version that barely changed anything.
And of course the Steam achievements include DLCs as well so I can never ever finish that one even though I want to.
Even though I'd pay any amount to get more content for that game, I'd love to spend 500 hours on this stupid game I love. ):

remember when some cartoon used to be great like Tom and Jerry, Powerpuff Girls and Teen Titans? they got **** reboots because they were "too violent" and had to be dumped down, the shame.
also I remember seeing pictures on the internet about Pokemon anime version differences were they changed things like rice balls into sandwiches, I still don't know why they felt the need to change such little details.
I also heard that some Digimon had to cover up their revealing outfits but I don't know if that's in the anime or the games, I think it's dumb because I love the original designs.

remember when some cartoon used to be great like Tom and Jerry, Powerpuff Girls and Teen Titans? they got **** reboots because they were "too violent" and had to be dumped down, the shame.

it's not censorship when it's a new product made completely from scratch

(also, dumbed*)

I'm pretty concerned about the censorship of science in the US although that might not go along with the rest of this thread. For movies I think it's pretty bad they took the twin towers out of stuff such as Home Alone 2.

Rose's fusion dance with Pearl in Steven Universe was censored in the UK because their faces were too close. Lol.. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I didn't even know the UK was so unaccepting of homosexual relationships??

Cartoon Network censoring Steven Universe in the UK. If it has anything to do with sexual contact - only homosexual relationships, though, ofc - it gets snipped.

EDIT: Just saw Arize mentioned it whoops ;-;

i didn't know this at all???? Holy heck, that's so over the top. hese are genderless, nonhuman gems can we.....chill...... how weird too bc like, its like admitting that people do see the gems as same gender relationships, rather than these as sweet simple dance sequences.

so like, yay, thanks networks for the confirmation that all gems are gay :"))))))))

more to the thread's point, i would say the current censorship/suppression/antagonistic feelings towards and of factual news media in america, is the most brutal to have to bear witness to and try and combat, since the censorship is not only coming from within the media networks themselves, but our own govt as well :// rough times.

Most book censorship, if that counts. Like Catcher and the Rye had some ridiculous reasons for being censored, like one case of being banned for having a "Communist plot" (what?) which if any of you read it would know that's absolutely bizzare.

I have a few moments I hate, but I'll stick to just these two.

The first is from South Park. The creators had to censor not only Mohammed, but also Kyle's speech at the end of the episode, about how fear lets terrorists win.

The second is more recent. In Steven Universe, I think it was in the UK version, the censored the dance between Pearl and Rose Quartz so it didn't look so gay or intimate. It was a dance. An innocent dance. Not sex.

The first is from South Park. The creators had to censor not only Mohammed, but also Kyle's speech at the end of the episode, about how fear lets terrorists win.

Like I said in the first post, that was a major example of how foreign influences interfere with the freedom of speech. One thing George Washington warned all future generations in America after the revolution was foreign affairs that impact domestic policy. I know stuff like this happens a lot more often in Europe since it's closer to the Middle East, but being overseas does not exempt us from any foreign influence outside the Americas. Yeah, when a form of media insults another culture, it gets banned in that culture only while it's still legal here. But for the South Park case (and a similar case involving North Korea and The Interview), it shows how foreign nations care about what we Americans think, and how this affects our freedoms. By censoring these forms of media, it shows we're giving in to those foreign states or groups. That's why this kind of censorship is a big deal.

Another thing that was wrong was that Trey and Matt (the creators) chose not to censor the episode, and Comedy Central even agreed to keep it uncensored. But they changed their minds out of fear with no warning, and this episode was not available for streaming on their site, as well as 200 (the preceding episode). Adding insult to injury, Super Best Friends (an earlier episode) was pulled off their site, digital stores, and future airings on Comedy Central. So that's why I totally agree with you on this.

Back