• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

What are your main priorities in choosing a town map?

I don't believe in a perfect map. Therefore the only thing I went with was I didn't want a river that had huge bends. I like the river looking like it takes up less space. I went with one of the first few maps I was given.

Resetting the game to get a special map sucks the point out of the start of the game for me. One of the draws of the series for me was that you would have a town generated just for you! In my head that says that one of the first towns I pick from is the one that was chosen for me. I picked my favorite map style, and I vowed I wouldn't reset for villagers, fruit, grass, or the style of train station or town hall. At first I was upset because I was greeted by a Gorilla AND a Mouse, two of my least favorite species, but I stayed in that town and fell in love with my villagers. They're awesome!

For me I wanted a river that ran through town with a south facing waterfall (so I could see it)

At first this was my main priority, but when I saw my map I decided to see what a horizontal one was like and honestly, it's not worth the fuss. I got a much better map.

I didn't care if the map was perfect, but the main requirement was to have as many acres of land as possible and my map has that for me. The plaza, town hall, cafe and police station are in a nice small isolated area, while most of the map is rural and will be the main theme for the town.

Last edited:
I wasn't very picky choosing my map since it was my first AC game. I didn't even know about different grass patterns xD

Rover just gave me a couple of awful maps so I think I restarted 2 or 3 times though xD My main priorities were a southern waterfall, town tree near the middle of the town, and a decent spot to put my house xD It was surprisingly hard to find a map with a tree near the centre :/ Ultimately I got bored of restarting and so now my tree is a little off centre, but I'm still pleased with my map :)

I wanted a clear place for my house with lots of 'yard space'. Other than that I just looked for a map with lots of open space. Open spaces are vital to a map in my opinion, as it gives you tons of room to build different areas like a park, the cafe, etc.

my main concern is that i DO NOT HAVE A SPLIT DOWN THE MIDDLE BEACH GDI
i hate having to have my wetsuit just to get from one side to the other while fishing and when i go to other peoples' towns i dont see how they can tolerate it.
my current beach is one huuuge part that takes up all of the eastern side and most of the southern side, and theres this tiny section that has no ramp thingy i can get to by jumping down from the cliff. i decorated it with flowers.

I reset so many times for my 'perfect' town. It took forever.

-Apples as native fruit, nothing else
-Square grass
-Town Hall and Town Plaza must be near each other
-Blue Train Station
-Blue or Browm Town Hall
-Both beaches accessible by ramp
-River runs from right to left all the way through
-2 or less ponds
-Must have a good available space to place my house right where the river runs into the ocean

With all these requirements, I really couldn't be choosy about starter villagers.

I like the river too run across the middle of the map so there is some symmetry. I like my retail too be close too the train station idk why thats just me. I really dont care what grass I get and where the town hall is. Everytime I tried too get the perfect town I got pears so I just gave up and will deal with pears cause getting different fruit isnt hard at all anymore. I want at least one villager when I start that I really like too.

I don't believe in a perfect map. Therefore the only thing I went with was I didn't want a river that had huge bends. I like the river looking like it takes up less space. I went with one of the first few maps I was given.

Resetting the game to get a special map sucks the point out of the start of the game for me. One of the draws of the series for me was that you would have a town generated just for you! In my head that says that one of the first towns I pick from is the one that was chosen for me. I picked my favorite map style, and I vowed I wouldn't reset for villagers, fruit, grass, or the style of train station or town hall. At first I was upset because I was greeted by a Gorilla AND a Mouse, two of my least favorite species, but I stayed in that town and fell in love with my villagers. They're awesome!

^This. Resetting pretty much ruined ACNL for me :( I vow on the next game to take whatever I get. I wish I never read any of the threads about resetting to get perfect maps. All the other AC's were super fun, and now in this game I was always so focused on my town being "perfect" that it became more of a chore than fun.

Triangle grass, one teardrop pond, no big private beach (a large section of beach without a ramp), plaza underneath a waterfall, no more than three ponds, Re-tail in an interesting location.

The town I found yesterday after days of restarting has: Triangle Grass, one Teardrop pond, no big private beach, plaza underneath waterfall, two ponds, and Re-tail is in a very interesting location, yet still close to the dock.

I couldn't care less about neighbors, fruit, town hall/train station colors.. Those can always be changed, and I like all the fruit, so.

I'm a bit picky, but it's nothing major.

I need to have:
1 long beach + a small island on the other side.
Two parts between the river need to be about even.
Bridge needs to be in an easily accessible area.
Villagers must live in one-two specific areas
There is only one pond.
There is a mass area where I can start a perfect farm
Retail is near the train station and the beach area

^This. Resetting pretty much ruined ACNL for me :( I vow on the next game to take whatever I get. I wish I never read any of the threads about resetting to get perfect maps. All the other AC's were super fun, and now in this game I was always so focused on my town being "perfect" that it became more of a chore than fun.

Ikr! I didn't even know about resetting or dream villagers until I stumbled upon Gamefaqs. I just wanted to see who had Marshal as a villager because he's so adorable. I wanted to get others opinions of him <3 Then I discovered that people trade villagers O.O and that led me here lol. Now I'm worrying about my town being imperfect..

• one pond
• relatively straight river (I don't mind some curves, but it can't wind around everywhere)
• town hall & plaza are close to each other and on the northern part of town

Peaches
East beach (I'm lenient on this one. I'll take West if it has everything else)
Decent to excellent neighbors (Again, lenient.)
No more than 3 ponds
Spread-out buildings (I hate when Re-tail, the Plaza, and the Town Hall are all smushed into one corner)

That's it. Don't think I'm too picky.. But for some reason I'm having no luck finding a town. ._.

Last edited:
Back