• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

~ ULTIMATE GUIDE FOR SHARK CATCHING + TIPS ~

Meloetta

hip grub
Bells
Orange (Fruit)
Sharks are a part of the Finned-fish Group, an unofficial name for the fish you see in the water with a fin. They are notably enormous compared to other fish as seen below.

New_leaf_2_HNI_0023.JPG
Sharky.jpg

There are only FIVE species of fish in the finned-fish group.

From most to least bells:

Shark - 15,000 BELLS
Shark.png

Whale Shark - 13,000 BELLS
WhaleSharkNL.png

Saw Shark - 12,000 BELLS
SawSharkNL.png

Hammerhead Shark - 8,000 BELLS
HammerheadSharkNL.png

Ocean Sunfish - 4,000 BELLS
OceanSunfishNL.png

When and where can I find them?

Each member of the Finned-fish group excluding the Whale Shark can be found only from June to September or on the island. The time they can be caught at (again, excluding the Whale Shark) is from
4AM - 9AM. The Whale Shark can be found anywhere and any time at all down here in the deep blue sea.

How do I get them to appear often? + Tips

You take a net (either it be at your town or on the island) and throw it into the water where you scare away unwanted fish, as there are a maximum that can be at a location at a time. DO NOT RUN ALONG THE SIDE! This also scares unwanted fish but can potentially scare your finned-fish away as well.
Once you find the finned fish, switch to your rod and throw it in the water when the finned-fish is furthest from land. The fish will slowly swim up to it. You must be careful and focused with this because the fish can bite it right when you throw it in or it can take up to four nibbles then bite the rod. Make sure to have your volume up so you can hear the plunk.
When you feel you're getting carried away, make sure to check your pockets. Count how many spaces you have left to catch some more because it will be upsetting if you don't have enough room and have to release one (which is also releasing potential bells).

I hope this guide was somewhat helpful? Thanks for reading and have fun making bells like you're part of the government.​

Last edited:
The Whale Shark can be found anywhere and any time at all down here in the deep blue sea.

i see wat u did der

This is a very useful guide for new players for ACNL!

Last edited:
Back