• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.

The Island is too op

This is just a guess but... you chop the trees, cut the bushes, and removed the flowers from the middle, right?
Try making the same amount of money in the same amount of time with everything still there, I bet you'll feel a difference.

Edit: In other words, you are RNGing for more money by manipulating which bugs appear and which ones don't.

Last edited:
I never viewed the island like this at all. I do go there often at night to catch bugs so I can pay off my house and build pwp's, but I find the bug hunt relaxing. When I don't feel like doing it, I don't.

I think the important thing is that you can do everything at your own pace. There's lots to do in New Leaf, but if you don't want to have your house paid off completely or whatever, it's not like anyone is forcing you to do it. The first few months of the game I only ran errands, fished a bit etc. Fishing in the ocean or river isn't worthless, not if you want to complete your museum or earn your badges. So.. find what you want to and do it :)

If you are worried about earning too much money via the island, simply do not catch bugs or fish there. You have that choice so make it. I have used the island a couple of times to catch bugs and fish but I don't always use it for that.
I use it to play games, meet new people and to have fun.

Its a brilliant feature they have added in and a very enjoyable one at that.

Last edited:
I don't think the island is OP at all. It's great if you just want a couple of million bells, but if you're trying to make hundreds of millions of bells, the island is just way too slow

I honestly never thought of the island as OP. It gives you just the right amount of bells that you need for town stuff and house improvements. I never found myself saying "OMG I have too many bells, it must be that stupid island". If anything I didn't have enough xD, but then again I didn't spend hours on the island like some people do. In the beginning when I needed to make bells, I just spent 30-40 minutes at a time. That would get me 500K with the bell ordinance.
All the bells I have are from selling villagers due to a town reset. I'd say I have about 60M ish in the bank right now(had 90). Point is I don't think you can become crazy rich off the island, unless you put some serious work/time in.

Honestly my least favorite thing about Animal Crossing is the fact that it takes so long to make money. The island fixed that for me. (Also its optional so ignore it if you want.)
But seriously I can never get into any other Animal Crossing game because I'm not willing to spend so much time fishing and catching bugs. It's monotonous and boring. At least the island lets you get a lot of money doing monotonous work than sloooooowly building up bells doing it normally.

One reason why I made an account is to explain why I don't like the island. D:

The only reason Nintendo put it there is so that way we can make thousands of bells every minute so we can pay off our rents. They aren't discrete about it, because the island is open 24/7, it's by no means rare, and it's not exactly fun. They have tours but they are fun the first time, and then we just go there for the beetles and to fill up a third of our museum effortlessly

I payed off my 300k rent in 2 hours. And why wouldn't I? If I didn't I would put myself at a disadvantage. It's not cheating like time traveling is. What was once a slow paced game has turned into a game where everything is free with a few hours of work.

Nintendo, what were you thinking!? You took the direction of making rare bugs/fish common instead of making the common ones worth more... Now fishing in the river is worthless, fishing in the ocean is worthless, bug catching is worthless, fossils no longer give you a lot of money, running errands for neighbors is worthless. Half the game revolves around going to an island, catching bugs for an hour, then coming back with 150k bells... I am unhappy with the direction Nintendo is taking :(

The island is to over powered?Over powered?Hahahahahahahaaaa!xD Lol,ahem...Half the game doesn't revolve around the island if you don't want it to.Just don't go,simple as that.Also,yo can't find all the bugs and fish at the island,and why are you bringing fossils into this?You can't even get those at the island.
Also tt'ing is not cheating.It's there for people with different lifestyles or wo don't enjoy the slow pace of the game.It's their choice to play it that way,they bought the game afterall.Also,the island has been in every game...

What is the point of moaning at something that you don't have to use.
If you don't like it; don't use it. Simple as.
Ugh.

Animal crossing kind of mimics live in that the more money you get the more money you need.

There's that first jump where the island seems like it's insane for getting money because you just have your house loan to pay off. But once you do that you see how much money is possible needed for other things. What if you want to build a second house, and a third, and a fourth, that's 7M to fully expand each one. Then you see Crowns, Thrones, Gracie furnature, oh that's a couple more hours on the island for each item. Oh I want the exclusive post office items, what do I need to save..... 100M! That's like 200 hours on the island. Then you go onto the forums and want to buy things like gold roses and villagers. Wait Marshal and Stitches are 30-50M! That's alot of bug farming...............

After a while I thought it took too long to get money from the island. I didn't want to spend all my time just catching beetles, it was getting boring and frustrating.

I used to think the island was OP. Then I bought a cycling town.......... 50M in cash, another 100M worth of dream villagers I kept for my main town in just a few hours. It's all a matter of perspective.......

I just use the island as a way of meeting new players as well as making a bit of money at the same time. 150k isn't really a lot after you've paid off your loan in full, and expanding the house is only really one small part of the game, there's an awful lot more to do...

I seriously don't know what I'd do without the island, I find adding people online is too tedious, I much prefer meeting random people on the island where it's just a few buttons away far easier.

Okay, well, nobody is forcing you to use the island, first off. Ores still can make a tasty profit, and so can fossils, if done correctly.

Also, there's turnips. I really wouldn't be whining about how there's bell inflation and blaming it solely on the island. 300k a night = 2.1m/week pales in comparison to a simple 1m investment, waiting like 1-5 days, then selling at a 800-1000% profit. Please keep that in mind.

Back