• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Pokémon Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet General Discussion

I recently played through Sword for the second time and came across even more evidence of Kieran's greatness:

Kieran: Actually brought a master ball to his encounter with a legendary Pokemon.
Leon: Just throws a generic pokeball at Eternatus without even attempting to lower its HP first.

I recently played through Sword for the second time and came across even more evidence of Kieran's greatness:

Kieran: Actually brought a master ball to his encounter with a legendary Pokemon.
Leon: Just throws a generic pokeball at Eternatus without even attempting to lower its HP first.

Yeahhhh, that cutscene with Leon was definitely weird. I remember laughing when I first saw it because I was like, ain't no way he catchin' that in a regular Pokeball? :LOL:

1711393143555.png

Do you like Baby mons? Next outbreak event is focused on baby Pokémon.

From Serebii:
"The next Mass Outbreak event has been announced for Pokémon Scarlet & Violet. This event will feature a focus on Baby Pokémon, with a chance of getting the Vigor Mark. Pichu & Happiny are in Paldea, Munchlax and Riolu in Kitakami and Elekid & Magby in the Terarium."

View attachment 548199

Do you like Baby mons? Next outbreak event is focused on baby Pokémon.

From Serebii:
"The next Mass Outbreak event has been announced for Pokémon Scarlet & Violet. This event will feature a focus on Baby Pokémon, with a chance of getting the Vigor Mark. Pichu & Happiny are in Paldea, Munchlax and Riolu in Kitakami and Elekid & Magby in the Terarium."
The first event that might actually make me play. I want shiny magby elekid and munchlax 🥲
Post automatically merged:

NEVERMIND I DIDNT READ IT DONT HAVE THE DLC : )))))))))

New Gold Shiny Outbreak Event!
1713781378730.png

From Serebii:

"The next Mass Outbreak event has been announced for Pokémon Scarlet & Violet. This event will feature a focus on Pokémon with Gold Shinies of Magikarp & Varoom in Paldea, Shinx in Kitakami and Rellor in the Terarium. All Pokémon will have an increased Shiny Chance
This event will run from 00:00 UTC on April 26th through 23:59 UTC on May 6th"

I became bored and needed my Pokemon itch scratched, so I decided to use a full team of Pokemon Trainer Red's Pokemon from HG/SS, except in Violet for the DLC. I'm imposing certain rules on my playthrough, however, such as no rare candy or exp candy farming from raids to use on my team (this means I will just have to battle as many trainers as possible to get my team to level 100 across the board), and I'm not allowing myself to terastallize against any opponent. So it really is just a Kanto Pokemon sort of team versus the BlueBerry Academy students.

I'll post an update once I finish the DLC, but considering the rules I have in place it probably won't be for awhile.

Next 7 Star Raid is Primarina with a Fairy Tera

primarinaraids.jpg

This Primarina will have the Mightiest Mark if you're a collector of Marks. This event will run from May 10 to May 12. A repeat event will also run from May 17 to May 19. Both events will also include the return of the Blisseys (Exp.Candy and Tera Shard rewards).

They are deadset on doing all of the starters, aren't they?

Update on my Pokemon Red team challenge. I've gained a good amount of levels since I started it from battling trainers in the DLC. Pikachu is now capped and Venusaur and Charizard are close behind. The more Pokemon I catch and the more trainers I face, the more I feel it's possible to accomplish this. It's just going to take a good amount of time (especially for my Lapras, lol). Here's my current team levels after tonight:

nWeIKjN.jpg

Another update on my Pokemon Red team challenge. I battled many trainers (and Chanseys, which technically isn't against the rules), and my Venusaur and Charizard both maxed out. Now the only team member who isn't level 100 is Lapras, but considering I'm running out of trainers in the DLC to battle, I'll probably resume the story to help gain more experience quickly for Lapras. The end goal is in sight!

KmnllAm.jpg

Hi all! I just recently ordered Pokemon Violet and the dlc and I was wondering if there is anything I need to know about the game and if anyone has tips? I’ve only played up to X and Y, so I have no idea what the newer Pokemon games are like.

Some additional questions:

-What do you like the best about Pokemon Scarlet/Violet?
-What do you like the least about the game?
-What makes these games stand out from all the other games (from Pokemon Red to Sword/Shield)?
-Which Pokemon is your favorite of all the new ones introduced?
-How bad are the bugs and framerate problems?
-What are the raids? Can they be soloed?
-How do you shiny hunt in this game?
-Can you obtain all the Pokemon including ones not in the game through trading?
-Anything else you want to mention?

- The things I like best about the game:
* The QOL features of this game are fantastic. Just being able to see your team from opening the menu and being able to instantly set a new Pokemon as the lead with Y is a game changer. Thanks to things like mints, EV-resetting berries, ability patches/capsules, and hyper training, you can actually make your starter and in-game team competition-ready. You can catch a brand new Pokemon and have it ready for battle in an hour or so (depending on how much money you have).
* The story and characters are better than previous Pokemon games by a longshot, in my opinion. I don't want to spoil anything, but I actually really like pretty much all the characters in this game.
* It's really fun to hunt for Pokemon with marks and different sizes. Pokemon of the same species can vary noticeably in their size, and giant and teeny Pokemon can receive a special mark for their size. I've personally felt as though shiny Pokemon have lost some of their uniqueness over time, so I appreciate being able to further customize special Pokemon with things like marks and sizes.
* The Item Printer (an item in the Blueberry Academy of the DLC) is awesome. It actually lets you get apriballs at a reasonable rate compared to sword and shield's Cram-O-Matic (at least in my opinion). There's also an update to your zoom function that lets you see at a glance the gender and size of a wild Pokemon and whether or not it has any marks. This is amazing (if you care about that kind of thing, of course).

-The things I like least about the game:
* The framerate is frankly unacceptable and there's moments where the game struggles with noticeable lag (especially the Casseroya Lake area).
* There's not really much in the way of single player post game. Your only option is shiny hunting. Otherwise, there's raid battles (once in a while they have special limited time 7 star raid battles to obtain otherwise unobtainable Pokemon) and PVP. If you enjoy those things, then you'll be happy!
* Dexit :(

-What makes the game stand out:
In spite of the game being open world, it's actually not THAT dissimilar to a traditional Pokemon game; there's essentially just really big routes with no tall grass. One good extra thing I can say about it is that due to the nature of the game being more open in terms of the order you can do things in, it feels less "railroady" in my opinion than older games. You are not constantly getting interrupted by a friendly rival or adult gently telling you where to go next. There are a lot of cutscenes, but they happen mostly when you approach an area marked on your map in relation to one of your quests, so it doesn't seem as much like an interruption to me. In general, this game feels less like a heavily curated experience unlike some of the later games (Sun and Moon are very guilty of this in particular).

-Which new Pokemon is my favorite:
Hydrapple! I loved it so much that it inspired me to try the games out after staunchly refusing to play them for a while. I don't regret waiting so long to outlive the more troublesome bugs and glitches, and neither do I regret buying the games. After all this time I have to sheepishly admit that I really like Scarlet and Violet.

-How bad are the bugs and framerate problems:
The bugs are not really so bad anymore; at any rate, I never ran into anything particularly noticeable.
The framerate can be pretty bad, though... it's embarrassing to see trainers flicker in and out of existence when running through towns and the stop-motion animations when you get far enough away from things. Plus there's the bad lag that happens now and then. It's... liveable, but pretty obnoxious. Thankfully it's not always like that.

-How are the raids?
I find the raids to be a BIG improvement over the ones in Sword and Shield. They are still kind of slow due to animations, but overall I find them much more enjoyable. NPC partners are now no longer strictly an embarassing liability. Raids are quite rewarding as well, giving out herba mystica (necessary to make high level sandwiches that help with things like shiny hunting), level up candies, mints, bottle caps, and other such goodies. Your mileage may vary of course, but as somebody who HATED the raids in Sword and Shield, I actually rather enjoy Scarlet/Violet raids.
The only raids that might be difficult to solo are 6 and 7 star raids, but I have heard that almost all 7 star raids *can* be soloed if you had a mind to do so. You may need to look up a guide for those, though.

The shiny charm still exists, as does the Masuda Method for hatching (although breeding in general is just a little different; you now receive eggs while picnicing). However, I find that the more enjoyable shiny hunting method involved outbreaks. Every day at midnight, different outbreaks of Pokemon appear all around the world (including DLC maps), with an increased spawn rate for that species of Pokemon. This will last until the following midnight, or until you KO one hundred of that species of Pokemon. If you KO 60, the shiny encounter rate increases. This can be stacked with other things, including sparkling power from sandwiches. There are guides to shiny hunting with outbreaks online if you're interested in learning more. I think it's really fun and satisfying to see the shiny Pokemon model walking around in the wild!

It depends on what you mean by ones not in the game. You may have to use the GTS or go to a forum (or use a copy of the alternate version of the game) to fill the pokedex.
There's one Pokemon that requires a Union Circle (multiplayer) to evolve, but you can also find that Pokemon in its evolved form in raid dens, so Union Circles aren't necessary for pokedex completion.

Hi all! I just recently ordered Pokemon Violet and the dlc and I was wondering if there is anything I need to know about the game and if anyone has tips? I’ve only played up to X and Y, so I have no idea what the newer Pokemon games are like.
Welcome to the club! So in Scarlet/Violet, you enroll in this huge academy in the Paldea region and then they'll let you go on what they call a "Treasure Hunt". ScarVio is like every other Pokémon game, except you get to complete the story in any order you want instead of it being linear. Also, you get to ride on a Pokémon! It'll come in handy for your journey.

In the DLC, there are two parts. You unlock the first one after you begin the Treasure Hunt, where you'll go on a field trip to the Land of Kitakami. You'll be able to explore Kitakami's culture and learn more about a certain folktale there. In the second part, which you should play after beating the main story, you'll become an exchange student for Blueberry Academy, and then you'll go to an underground location.

I have omitted some details so I won't spoil anything.

(Almost) everything! The characters have depth, the new Pokémon are simply stunning, and the story...oh, the story!

It has lagged on me a few times but for me it's simply and annoyance, so I just shrug it off. I know people have a lot more to say about its technical problems than I, a gen 9 fan, do...

-What makes these games stand out from all the other games (from Pokemon Red to Sword/Shield)?
The non-linear gameplay, obviously. They were using ScarVio to experiment with a new way to play Pokémon. There's also the ride Pokémon I talked about, which for your game is Miraidon (Koraidon is for Scarlet.)

Ogerpon!! It's got a relatable backstory, has a cool concept, and is all-around adorable!

I haven't played the game at launch, however I read the reviews and the complaints about them almost kept me from buying. I updated my game right after I bought it and if I can recall the bugs and frame rate problems weren't as bad as people say they were, so be sure to update the game before playing for the best experience. You might experience some of those, but they should'nt be much of a problem.

In Tera Raid Battles, you and a bunch of other players work to battle against a super strong Pokémon with a Tera type (you'll find out what those are as you play.) You can earn rewards after you defeat or catch the Pokémon. And yes, you can play solo.

Look around and find a differently colored Pokémon. I don't do a lot of shiny hunting, but I know that if you battle in raids that are 5 stars of higher, there's a rare chance of you getting Herba Mystica, And then you can use the Herba Mystica toake a sandwich that increases your chance of encountering a shiny Pokemon. You can also get a Shiny charm once you complete the Pokedex in Paldea.

If I can recall, this is possible.

Say hi to Kieran for me!!

Some additional questions:

Welcome to Hell, er, I mean, Paldea! Welcome to Paldea!

What do you like the best about Pokemon Scarlet/Violet?
Bugs aside, I found it to be a legitimately fun gaming experience. I enjoy it way more than Sword & Shield, but even Sword & Shield got better with DLC eventually. Anywho, it's a nice region to explore, the story is kinda fun, the music absolutely slaps, and with all the DLC it has a nice selection of Pokémon. I also like terastalization as a gimmick and think it's the best one they've made since Mega Evolutions.

What do you like the least about the game?
Tera Raids are irritating because of the bugginess. There's game "lags", not in a "the game's running slow way", but in a "the game is trying to figure out all the things that just happened" way and it takes time. Which is bad because, well, there's a timer constantly ticking down. You can lose through no fault of your own because the game's clunky.

Also, the lacking clothing customization since we are stuck with school uniforms. More stuff was added via DLC for variation which is cool, but still, hopefully they return to the previous customization style.

What makes these games stand out from all the other games (from Pokemon Red to Sword/Shield)?
It's fun to ride around on Koraidon/Miraidon in this 3D environment. Comparable with Legends Arceus, which I'd also recommend you check out.

Which Pokemon is your favorite of all the new ones introduced?
Personal favorites of mine from this generation are Scovillain, Wo-Chien, Dipplin, Hydrapple, Annihilape, Greavard, Houndstone, Armarouge, Ceruledge, and the starter lines.

If I just have to pick one, either Wo-Chien or Hydrapple. Wo-Chien's a cool snail thing made of leafy undergrowth and Hydrapple's just really cool. Leaning toward Wo-Chien.

How bad are the bugs and framerate problems?
I never encountered the bad multiplayer bugs you'd see in videos online around launch. Graphical whoopsies? Sure, but nothing too bad.

The targeting on the auto-battle function has messed up for me once when I was trying to hunt shiny Dratini (I failed). The water confused the game and messed up my Pokémon's pathing, I think.

The aforementioned lag in the raids has made me frustrated before. This is on the 7-star raids, the highest level. Earlier than that it's not that much of a bother.

What are the raids? Can they be soloed?
You and three other trainers fight a giant Pokémon; in Sword & Shield these were Dynamaxed or Gigantamaxed, while in Scarlet & Violet they're Terastalized. There's a turn count in Sword & Shield and in Scarlet & Violet there's a timer. You have to beat the Pokémon within the limit or you lose. After they lose a certain amount of health, they put up shields that you bust through; in Sword & Shield, you'd Dynamax, while in Scarlet & Violet you terastalize. When they run out of HP, you can capture them.

In Sword & Shield, there's a chance that the Pokémon can escape the Poké Ball, but in Scarlet & Violet it's a guaranteed capture.

You can solo, and in some instances it can actually be the preferred method.

How do you shiny hunt in this game?
Swarms of Pokémon appear in the wild that make it easier to hunt certain things. Otherwise, Masuda Method breeding is my preferred method, as it has been since it'was introduced.

You can make sandwiches to boost shiny chances, and filling out the Pokédex earns you the Shiny Charm just like in previous games to boost the chance further.

Can you obtain all the Pokemon including ones not in the game through trading?
The National Dex still isn't a thing, so you unfortunately can't obtain everything, but you can trade for everything available in Scarlet and Violet and its DLCs.

Anything else you want to mention?
Enjoy! It's a bit of a mess, but it's fun despite that.

- The things I like best about the game:
* The QOL features of this game are fantastic. Just being able to see your team from opening the menu and being able to instantly set a new Pokemon as the lead with Y is a game changer. Thanks to things like mints, EV-resetting berries, ability patches/capsules, and hyper training, you can actually make your starter and in-game team competition-ready. You can catch a brand new Pokemon and have it ready for battle in an hour or so (depending on how much money you have).
* The story and characters are better than previous Pokemon games by a longshot, in my opinion. I don't want to spoil anything, but I actually really like pretty much all the characters in this game.
* It's really fun to hunt for Pokemon with marks and different sizes. Pokemon of the same species can vary noticeably in their size, and giant and teeny Pokemon can receive a special mark for their size. I've personally felt as though shiny Pokemon have lost some of their uniqueness over time, so I appreciate being able to further customize special Pokemon with things like marks and sizes.
* The Item Printer (an item in the Blueberry Academy of the DLC) is awesome. It actually lets you get apriballs at a reasonable rate compared to sword and shield's Cram-O-Matic (at least in my opinion). There's also an update to your zoom function that lets you see at a glance the gender and size of a wild Pokemon and whether or not it has any marks. This is amazing (if you care about that kind of thing, of course).

-The things I like least about the game:
* The framerate is frankly unacceptable and there's moments where the game struggles with noticeable lag (especially the Casseroya Lake area).
* There's not really much in the way of single player post game. Your only option is shiny hunting. Otherwise, there's raid battles (once in a while they have special limited time 7 star raid battles to obtain otherwise unobtainable Pokemon) and PVP. If you enjoy those things, then you'll be happy!
* Dexit :(

-What makes the game stand out:
In spite of the game being open world, it's actually not THAT dissimilar to a traditional Pokemon game; there's essentially just really big routes with no tall grass. One good extra thing I can say about it is that due to the nature of the game being more open in terms of the order you can do things in, it feels less "railroady" in my opinion than older games. You are not constantly getting interrupted by a friendly rival or adult gently telling you where to go next. There are a lot of cutscenes, but they happen mostly when you approach an area marked on your map in relation to one of your quests, so it doesn't seem as much like an interruption to me. In general, this game feels less like a heavily curated experience unlike some of the later games (Sun and Moon are very guilty of this in particular).

-Which new Pokemon is my favorite:
Hydrapple! I loved it so much that it inspired me to try the games out after staunchly refusing to play them for a while. I don't regret waiting so long to outlive the more troublesome bugs and glitches, and neither do I regret buying the games. After all this time I have to sheepishly admit that I really like Scarlet and Violet.

-How bad are the bugs and framerate problems:
The bugs are not really so bad anymore; at any rate, I never ran into anything particularly noticeable.
The framerate can be pretty bad, though... it's embarrassing to see trainers flicker in and out of existence when running through towns and the stop-motion animations when you get far enough away from things. Plus there's the bad lag that happens now and then. It's... liveable, but pretty obnoxious. Thankfully it's not always like that.

-How are the raids?
I find the raids to be a BIG improvement over the ones in Sword and Shield. They are still kind of slow due to animations, but overall I find them much more enjoyable. NPC partners are now no longer strictly an embarassing liability. Raids are quite rewarding as well, giving out herba mystica (necessary to make high level sandwiches that help with things like shiny hunting), level up candies, mints, bottle caps, and other such goodies. Your mileage may vary of course, but as somebody who HATED the raids in Sword and Shield, I actually rather enjoy Scarlet/Violet raids.
The only raids that might be difficult to solo are 6 and 7 star raids, but I have heard that almost all 7 star raids *can* be soloed if you had a mind to do so. You may need to look up a guide for those, though.

The shiny charm still exists, as does the Masuda Method for hatching (although breeding in general is just a little different; you now receive eggs while picnicing). However, I find that the more enjoyable shiny hunting method involved outbreaks. Every day at midnight, different outbreaks of Pokemon appear all around the world (including DLC maps), with an increased spawn rate for that species of Pokemon. This will last until the following midnight, or until you KO one hundred of that species of Pokemon. If you KO 60, the shiny encounter rate increases. This can be stacked with other things, including sparkling power from sandwiches. There are guides to shiny hunting with outbreaks online if you're interested in learning more. I think it's really fun and satisfying to see the shiny Pokemon model walking around in the wild!

It depends on what you mean by ones not in the game. You may have to use the GTS or go to a forum (or use a copy of the alternate version of the game) to fill the pokedex.
There's one Pokemon that requires a Union Circle (multiplayer) to evolve, but you can also find that Pokemon in its evolved form in raid dens, so Union Circles aren't necessary for pokedex completion.
Thanks so much for replying! This is very helpful :D.

The EV resetting berries sound intriguing. I still haven’t gotten the grasp between them and ivs in all the years I’ve played, though I never played competitively. I’ve been interested in it a little and just getting optimal stats for my Pokemon if possible.

That’s awesome that the size differences are noticeable and about the marks! :D
There was no shiny charm in the games that I’ve played and I just heard about the Masuda Method from the shiny hunting thread for my first time 😲. That’s really interesting to hear there are more ways than the chain method to get shinies 🙂. I rarely got shines in the games I played even Arceus so this is really exciting to hear!

Welcome to the club! So in Scarlet/Violet, you enroll in this huge academy in the Paldea region and then they'll let you go on what they call a "Treasure Hunt". ScarVio is like every other Pokémon game, except you get to complete the story in any order you want instead of it being linear. Also, you get to ride on a Pokémon! It'll come in handy for your journey.

In the DLC, there are two parts. You unlock the first one after you begin the Treasure Hunt, where you'll go on a field trip to the Land of Kitakami. You'll be able to explore Kitakami's culture and learn more about a certain folktale there. In the second part, which you should play after beating the main story, you'll become an exchange student for Blueberry Academy, and then you'll go to an underground location.

I have omitted some details so I won't spoil anything.

(Almost) everything! The characters have depth, the new Pokémon are simply stunning, and the story...oh, the story!

It has lagged on me a few times but for me it's simply and annoyance, so I just shrug it off. I know people have a lot more to say about its technical problems than I, a gen 9 fan, do...

The non-linear gameplay, obviously. They were using ScarVio to experiment with a new way to play Pokémon. There's also the ride Pokémon I talked about, which for your game is Miraidon (Koraidon is for Scarlet.)

Ogerpon!! It's got a relatable backstory, has a cool concept, and is all-around adorable!

I haven't played the game at launch, however I read the reviews and the complaints about them almost kept me from buying. I updated my game right after I bought it and if I can recall the bugs and frame rate problems weren't as bad as people say they were, so be sure to update the game before playing for the best experience. You might experience some of those, but they should'nt be much of a problem.

In Tera Raid Battles, you and a bunch of other players work to battle against a super strong Pokémon with a Tera type (you'll find out what those are as you play.) You can earn rewards after you defeat or catch the Pokémon. And yes, you can play solo.

Look around and find a differently colored Pokémon. I don't do a lot of shiny hunting, but I know that if you battle in raids that are 5 stars of higher, there's a rare chance of you getting Herba Mystica, And then you can use the Herba Mystica toake a sandwich that increases your chance of encountering a shiny Pokemon. You can also get a Shiny charm once you complete the Pokedex in Paldea.

If I can recall, this is possible.

Say hi to Kieran for me!!
Thanks so much for replying! 🙂

Are TMs and HMs no longer a thing? Pokemon Red through X, there were HM surf, HM fly. Or is riding the pokemon only possible with those abilities?

I meant like Pokemon from other regions and generations like Mew (completing the national Pokedex from Red to Violet’s generations). It looks like the National Dex is not available for Pokemon Scarlet & Violet.

I know shiny pokemon look different (some don’t look much different though). I meant the methods since I’ve been chatting with people that have been shiny hunting for the tbtwc pokemon portion. The games I had played (except Pokemon Arceus) had no methods of shiny farming except the Poke radar chain method (though now that I’m thinking about it, I think the Masuda Method existed for some of the games that I played. I’ve played the very first Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow to X. I’m not familiar with the games Sun/Moon to present. I don’t remember Black & White either tbh, but I played Black.) There was no Shiny Ribbon though.

Welcome to Hell, er, I mean, Paldea! Welcome to Paldea!

What do you like the best about Pokemon Scarlet/Violet?
Bugs aside, I found it to be a legitimately fun gaming experience. I enjoy it way more than Sword & Shield, but even Sword & Shield got better with DLC eventually. Anywho, it's a nice region to explore, the story is kinda fun, the music absolutely slaps, and with all the DLC it has a nice selection of Pokémon. I also like terastalization as a gimmick and think it's the best one they've made since Mega Evolutions.

What do you like the least about the game?
Tera Raids are irritating because of the bugginess. There's game "lags", not in a "the game's running slow way", but in a "the game is trying to figure out all the things that just happened" way and it takes time. Which is bad because, well, there's a timer constantly ticking down. You can lose through no fault of your own because the game's clunky.

Also, the lacking clothing customization since we are stuck with school uniforms. More stuff was added via DLC for variation which is cool, but still, hopefully they return to the previous customization style.

What makes these games stand out from all the other games (from Pokemon Red to Sword/Shield)?
It's fun to ride around on Koraidon/Miraidon in this 3D environment. Comparable with Legends Arceus, which I'd also recommend you check out.

Which Pokemon is your favorite of all the new ones introduced?
Personal favorites of mine from this generation are Scovillain, Wo-Chien, Dipplin, Hydrapple, Annihilape, Greavard, Houndstone, Armarouge, Ceruledge, and the starter lines.

If I just have to pick one, either Wo-Chien or Hydrapple. Wo-Chien's a cool snail thing made of leafy undergrowth and Hydrapple's just really cool. Leaning toward Wo-Chien.

How bad are the bugs and framerate problems?
I never encountered the bad multiplayer bugs you'd see in videos online around launch. Graphical whoopsies? Sure, but nothing too bad.

The targeting on the auto-battle function has messed up for me once when I was trying to hunt shiny Dratini (I failed). The water confused the game and messed up my Pokémon's pathing, I think.

The aforementioned lag in the raids has made me frustrated before. This is on the 7-star raids, the highest level. Earlier than that it's not that much of a bother.

What are the raids? Can they be soloed?
You and three other trainers fight a giant Pokémon; in Sword & Shield these were Dynamaxed or Gigantamaxed, while in Scarlet & Violet they're Terastalized. There's a turn count in Sword & Shield and in Scarlet & Violet there's a timer. You have to beat the Pokémon within the limit or you lose. After they lose a certain amount of health, they put up shields that you bust through; in Sword & Shield, you'd Dynamax, while in Scarlet & Violet you terastalize. When they run out of HP, you can capture them.

In Sword & Shield, there's a chance that the Pokémon can escape the Poké Ball, but in Scarlet & Violet it's a guaranteed capture.

You can solo, and in some instances it can actually be the preferred method.

How do you shiny hunt in this game?
Swarms of Pokémon appear in the wild that make it easier to hunt certain things. Otherwise, Masuda Method breeding is my preferred method, as it has been since it'was introduced.

You can make sandwiches to boost shiny chances, and filling out the Pokédex earns you the Shiny Charm just like in previous games to boost the chance further.

Can you obtain all the Pokemon including ones not in the game through trading?
The National Dex still isn't a thing, so you unfortunately can't obtain everything, but you can trade for everything available in Scarlet and Violet and its DLCs.

Anything else you want to mention?
Enjoy! It's a bit of a mess, but it's fun despite that.
Thanks so much for replying! 🙂 This is very helpful!

I’m glad to hear how it is fun even with the issues. I haven’t read much into the game; what I had saw were mixed reviews or pretty negative though not much detail what was bad. Then I see some that really like it so I’ve been interested to have a more balanced take and hear more about the positives. Definitely sounds fun and different from what I’ve experienced in the earlier Pokemon titles! The raids sound like they could be fun too. I haven’t played Sun/Moon, Sword/Shield so I am unfamiliar with raids in Pokemon; thanks for explaining about the raids :). They sound really interesting. Do all of the people in the raid get the Pokemon when it is captured or can only one person get it per raid?

I hope maybe in the future if they’re continuing to update the games they add the national pokedex. I’d love to have them all. But right now I’m happy if they have at least some of my favorites along with the new ones 🙂.

Thanks so much for replying! 🙂

Are TMs and HMs no longer a thing? Pokemon Red through X, there were HM surf, HM fly. Or is riding the pokemon only possible with those abilities?
TMs still exist, while HMs are no more since you can just use your ride Pokémon in place of them.

I meant like Pokemon from other regions and generations like Mew (completing the national Pokedex from Red to Violet’s generations). It looks like the National Dex is not available for Pokemon Scarlet & Violet.
When I answered your question I was reminded of the times I went on multiple link trades and the trader offered a Pokémon that is unobtainable in the game each time. So that's why I said "yes". Now, if you have Pokémon HOME, you can use it to transfer unobtainable and compatible Pokémon you might have to ScarVio and that should do the trick. Oh, and about the National Pokédex...it's always been like that since Sword and Shield.

I know shiny pokemon look different (some don’t look much different though). I meant the methods since I’ve been chatting with people that have been shiny hunting for the tbtwc pokemon portion. The games I had played (except Pokemon Arceus) had no methods of shiny farming except the Poke radar chain method (though now that I’m thinking about it, I think the Masuda Method existed for some of the games that I played. I’ve played the very first Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow to X. I’m not familiar with the games Sun/Moon to present. I don’t remember Black & White either tbh, but I played Black.) There was no Shiny Ribbon though.
Oh, OK! Yeah, I don't do a lot of that so I'm not inclined to give you good advice on shiny hunting. (;´∀`)

TMs still exist, while HMs are no more since you can just use your ride Pokémon in place of them.

When I answered your question I was reminded of the times I went on multiple link trades and the trader offered a Pokémon that is unobtainable in the game each time. So that's why I said "yes". Now, if you have Pokémon HOME, you can use it to transfer unobtainable and compatible Pokémon you might have to ScarVio and that should do the trick. Oh, and about the National Pokédex...it's always been like that since Sword and Shield.

Oh, OK! Yeah, I don't do a lot of that so I'm not inclined to give you good advice on shiny hunting. (;´∀`)

Thank you! That’s interesting about the HMs not existing anymore. It makes sense though. So can you ride any pokemon or only certain ones?

Dang that’s a shame about the national dex. I hope the next game they bring it back and you can catch them naturally and not through transfer methods.

I might try transferring some from Arceus. Anyone know if you don’t pay for subscription, if you can transfer as many as you want? I saw there is a limit of how many you can transfer at a time.

Also, since 3DS services are done, does that mean you can’t transfer pokemon to the pokemon bank if I were to decide to do that (whenever I found my cartridges)?

Back