• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

One of the best posts I have ever read.

Propaganda Man

Bells
This was posted by one of the official Atlanta Falcon Message Board moderators today.

"The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief." - William Shakespeare

I'd like you to think about that quote for a moment. It is one of my all-time favorites, and one which has gained even more significance for me given the atmosphere currently surrounding the upcoming season - for Falcons players and fans.

I've been a serious fan of the Falcons since 2002, and yet, I can only imagine the emotions that must be waging war inside those of you who have supported this team for much longer than I. The unimaginable developments of this offseason are a stark reminder that life indeed is more important than football. If any of you had the slightest notion that Madden was more than just a game, I trust the developments I've just alluded to, of which we are all well aware, have prompted you to re-evaluate your stance on that question. What a player does on the field may indeed be a means of making a living, but it is what a player does off the field that makes a life. And it is unfortunate indeed that a certain individual is now learining that principle the hard way. Even so, this situation should serve as a reminder to us all that life is for real and you get only one chance to make the most of it. Second chances are nice, but they're not guaranteed. And, as it relates to a certain Falcons player, that second chance may yet come, albeit delayed.

Over the years, we've all developed a certain attachment to the Falcons organization, and though that attachment may be at varying levels, it is no less representative of the fact that we all made a conscious decision to support the Falcons from among 31 other NFL teams. And perhaps it is because of my commitment to the team that I feel as if something has suddenly been stolen from me. Something I valued very highly. I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly, but it's something on the inside of me; something I didn't even realize existed until recently. It has nothing to do with my season tickets or my authentic jerseys or even my role as one of the Moderators. No. It goes deeper than the material aspect of being a Falcons fan, because you can toss all those things aside and I believe I'd still feel the emotional void I do today over what has transpired this offseason.

That said, however, the question I, and perhaps you, too, must face now is: will I allow what this certain individual has brought upon my team, my city and myself, to steal from me what is rightfully mine? Namely, the faith I've had over the years in the Falcons organization, the enjoyment I've experienced from gathering with friends and family to watch Falcons football, the pride I take in representing my team on the road and defending it among rival fans. These are things which, in my estimation, the quote above is speaking to. Of course, it's an individual decision we all have to make for ourselves, but, to be able to "smile" after being robbed is a sign that you are bigger than the thief himself and that you're willing to press on inspite of having that thing of value taken from you.

Having said that, I'm not at all oblivious to the fact that Falcons fans in droves are in the throes of unloading their season tickets or otherwise detaching themselves from this franchise. It is not for me to agree or disagree with such actions. If you paid for the tickets, the jerseys, the parking passes, you can do with them what you please. However, what I am saying is that every instance of adversity presents with it two options: face it head on or run from it. As for me, I've decided to face it (to the extent I can as a fan, realizing that those within the organization are in a completely different place.)

Yes, we may have been "robbed", but even so, I believe true Falcons will choose to "smile" in the face of it all. If not for ourselves, we owe it to Mr. Blank and the 53 players who'll be giving it their all come opening day.

Back