• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

How many male/female users are a part of this community?

Are you male or female?

• Total voters
There are 50 pages of this thread, could we really be expected to go through them all? A reminder for something never learned is useless.

I myself am bigender so I also can't vote. (PS. If the argument is that there are "too many options" or s/t, even something is better than restricting it down to two...)

Okay since my datemate took the time to go through here - lmao what debate? What happened was people tried talking about it throughout the course of this thread and got ignored so some people were more vocal and then got shut down.

Sex is a social construct as much as gender is. Chromosomes are not as black and white as X and Y and there are people out there who are intersex, not fitting nicely into either category of "sex" designated at birth. They're forced into one based on the doctor or the parents involved. Trying to say that this is a poll about sex not gender is extremely gross? You're telling someone that they ARE male or female no matter what their own body is or what they believe. (Not to mention the fact that the male/female binary is a white colonial idea that has been forced on communities of people who have different concepts of gender and sex identities so this whole forced grouping of people into two neat categories is also steeped in racism).

Comparing this to a personal preference thread (Dogs vs. Cats and a Bird Lover) is dismissive and upsetting. It's not even "this thread doesn't cater to me!" it's ... there are more options than this and my preferred gender+pronouns affect my daily life and interactions with people around me. People like me, especially those who already posted, are just looking for more availability in a place that's supposed to be inclusive. I mean, with the options AC:NL introduced and the ability to dress the way you wanted despite the gender of your mayor, I would have hoped that these forums would be just as open. Instead, the community is being stifled. People don't understand how many non-cis users there are out there simply because there is no avenue for acceptance.

(Lastly, this thread began on a sour note and I'm not surprised to see it went horribly wrong. The person who started this thread, while probably having good intentions, said something rather off-putting. "I think this is paradise for males, since there's so many females to play with. What's good about most females is that they tend to be kind and appreciative". As someone who IDs as partially a girl and who would be viewed as a girl outside of personal relations, this feels super gross? Plus, the constant use of "male" and "female" throughout just makes me think of people trying to hard to be Scientific about things, which I already discussed above.)

P.S. - To go more into it: I am bigender. I struggled for months about my gender identity. I recognized that something didn't feel quite right, I looked introspectively at myself and decided I wasn't a cis girl. I identify as demigirl/demiboy. This means that there are some girl feelings and some boy feelings but I don't want to constrain myself to the traditional binary. I don't use the term genderfluid out of preference - I flip-flop, I don't flow. I use she/her and he/him pronouns, but not because my identities are demigirl and demiboy. They are simply what I'm used to. No, I'm not out to my family and I will likely never be out in public. (I am currently identifying demigirl, so if you do reply at all and address me, please use she/her.)

I agree that telling us to "just not bring it up" is really dismissive. Even if I had seen the discussion I'd feel put off by how this thread is set up: there is no option for nonbinary people at all (just a third "other" option would have been enough) and the constant use of male and female instead of boy/man and girl/woman does remind me of "biological sex" discourse. Which, if I'm interpreting what Sammi said about what happened in the earlier debate correctly, was actually brought up and used to silence transgender people and forcibly gender their bodies according to the colonialist, binarist, intersexist perception of sex they were coercively assigned at birth. If you're going to say this is a poll about "sex not gender" then you are calling trans girls and women who may frequent this forum male and saying they're not supposed to vote "female". You are forcing the aforementioned perception of a "biological sex binary" on intersex individuals. You're telling nonbinary people their identity and relationship with their gender doesn't matter, that they're still a "male" or a "female" deep down. You're hurting all of us. This thread is inherently flawed, transphobic, cissexist and intersexist. It is stickied for all to see and I did no more than show my dissatisfaction with it.

So, when I replied to this trainwreck of a thread and called it out on its issues, the last thing I needed was for you to come along and try to shut me down and "just not bring it up". I'll refrain from posting here any more as I don't have the energy to argue and I don't feel like starting a debate with people who are going to try to invalidate my feelings further, but you do owe me a sincere apology.

To clarify: I am nonbinary and choose not to label my gender further as I feel like I don't fit any label due to the circumstances of my mental health clouding the way I relate to my identity and my ethnicity making me shy away from colonialist labels. However, I do describe myself in some gendered terms such as lesbian and latina as I don't feel a complete dissociation from womanhood. I am not intersex and I don't experience transmisogyny. All pronouns are ok to use for me and I fluctuate on which set I use for myself.

Last edited:
There are 50 pages of this thread, could we really be expected to go through them all? A reminder for something never learned is useless.

I myself am bigender so I also can't vote. (PS. If the argument is that there are "too many options" or s/t, even something is better than restricting it down to two...)

Nah, I was just giving a bit of a reminder, I don't want people getting in trouble again.

Okay since my datemate took the time to go through here - lmao what debate? What happened was people tried talking about it throughout the course of this thread and got ignored so some people were more vocal and then got shut down.

Sex is a social construct as much as gender is. Chromosomes are not as black and white as X and Y and there are people out there who are intersex, not fitting nicely into either category of "sex" designated at birth. They're forced into one based on the doctor or the parents involved. Trying to say that this is a poll about sex not gender is extremely gross? You're telling someone that they ARE male or female no matter what their own body is or what they believe. (Not to mention the fact that the male/female binary is a white colonial idea that has been forced on communities of people who have different concepts of gender and sex identities so this whole forced grouping of people into two neat categories is also steeped in racism).

Comparing this to a personal preference thread (Dogs vs. Cats and a Bird Lover) is dismissive and upsetting. It's not even "this thread doesn't cater to me!" it's ... there are more options than this and my preferred gender+pronouns affect my daily life and interactions with people around me. People like me, especially those who already posted, are just looking for more availability in a place that's supposed to be inclusive. I mean, with the options AC:NL introduced and the ability to dress the way you wanted despite the gender of your mayor, I would have hoped that these forums would be just as open. Instead, the community is being stifled. People don't understand how many non-cis users there are out there simply because there is no avenue for acceptance.

(Lastly, this thread began on a sour note and I'm not surprised to see it went horribly wrong. The person who started this thread, while probably having good intentions, said something rather off-putting. "I think this is paradise for males, since there's so many females to play with. What's good about most females is that they tend to be kind and appreciative". As someone who IDs as partially a girl and who would be viewed as a girl outside of personal relations, this feels super gross? Plus, the constant use of "male" and "female" throughout just makes me think of people trying to hard to be Scientific about things, which I already discussed above.)

P.S. - To go more into it: I am bigender. I struggled for months about my gender identity. I recognized that something didn't feel quite right, I looked introspectively at myself and decided I wasn't a cis girl. I identify as demigirl/demiboy. This means that there are some girl feelings and some boy feelings but I don't want to constrain myself to the traditional binary. I don't use the term genderfluid out of preference - I flip-flop, I don't flow. I use she/her and he/him pronouns, but not because my identities are demigirl and demiboy. They are simply what I'm used to. No, I'm not out to my family and I will likely never be out in public. (I am currently identifying demigirl, so if you do reply at all and address me, please use she/her.)

I agree that telling us to "just not bring it up" is really dismissive. Even if I had seen the discussion I'd feel put off by how this thread is set up: there is no option for nonbinary people at all (just a third "other" option would have been enough) and the constant use of male and female instead of boy/man and girl/woman does remind me of "biological sex" discourse. Which, if I'm interpreting what Sammi said about what happened in the earlier debate correctly, was actually brought up and used to silence transgender people and forcibly gender their bodies according to the colonialist, binarist, intersexist perception of sex they were coercively assigned at birth. If you're going to say this is a poll about "sex not gender" then you are calling trans girls and women who may frequent this forum male and saying they're not supposed to vote "female". You are forcing the aforementioned perception of a "biological sex binary" on intersex individuals. You're telling nonbinary people their identity and relationship with their gender doesn't matter, that they're still a "male" or a "female" deep down. You're hurting all of us. This thread is inherently flawed, transphobic, cissexist and intersexist. It is stickied for all to see and I did no more than show my dissatisfaction with it.

So, when I replied to this trainwreck of a thread and called it out on its issues, the last thing I needed was for you to come along and try to shut me down and "just not bring it up". I'll refrain from posting here any more as I don't have the energy to argue and I don't feel like starting a debate with people who are going to try to invalidate my feelings further, but you do owe me a sincere apology.

To clarify: I am nonbinary and choose not to label my gender further as I feel like I don't fit any label due to the circumstances of my mental health clouding the way I relate to my identity and my ethnicity making me shy away from colonialist labels. However, I do describe myself in some gendered terms such as lesbian and latina as I don't feel a complete dissociation from womanhood. I am not intersex and I don't experience transmisogyny. All pronouns are ok to use for me and I fluctuate on which set I use for myself.

k that's nice but I'm just saying don't bring it up because it was a massive argument, the thread got locked, people very likely got warnings, and there's another thread to use with much further expanded gender options if you don't like this one.

Personally, I knew that this game would cater more toward girls demographically as the game takes a rather different approach to gameplay aside from all the FPS, Brawlers and other action games out there that most females (not all of course) would not normally play as opposed to males. As a tomboy, I love video games despite the deomographic currentlly aimed at that specific source because "I play a game I like, not for who plays it" I know that everyone plays a game catering to their own personal liking, and not what the creator of the game had intended the "gender" of the fans to be playing that game. AC however, brought a new form of entertainment, with that being the exact opposite of action/adventure geners usually listed. AC had brought relative peace, fun and relaxtion into a game, all the while not relativley being "boring" (Though a lot would say it is since this is again, a game that differs from most games played today in popularity standings) I personally think that no matter the gender, male female intersex, transgender or whatever you may what to identify as, a gender is not what makes the player want to play it, it is the overal appeal and fun the player has when immersed in a world they find fun. The magic of AC is that it brings all ages, races, and genders together to play.

Last edited:
I know there's more females than males from experience over wifi, but I'm a guy and I've been playing for quite awhile. It's jsut too cutec:

Back