• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Housing can get so frustrating!

Well, if you'd like you can always get a second villager and build their house there! Then at least it wouldn't totally go to waste.

I also have reset twice because I couldn't build a bridge near my home. This time I took that into consideration when choosing my spot. Also the commute to and from areas :)

Did you happen to post on the animal crossing subreddit about your problem because I read the exact same story only with pictures on the subreddit.

I know the feeling too. I started on release day and made my town then decided to restart a week later because for some random reason all villagers moving in decided to build their houses all around me leaving 70% of my town empty.

A similar situation happened to me as well, except I was too stubborn to reset.
My house is right by where the river meets the waterfall (the sunset looks lovely from that spot) and I had a cobblestone bridge right beside my house when I first moved in. One day, Chow requested the wooden bridge project, which I adored. I chose to demolish both of my cobblestone bridges in order to build some wooden ones because I'd hate to have mismatched bridges. When I went to put my wooden bridge where my cobblestone bridge had been, Isabelle said it was too close to my house. I almost panicked and reset my game, but then I chose a location slightly farther away from my house. It's a tad less convenient but I still get to have my pretty view. <3
Now that I've shared my story, let me apologize to you in regards to your rotten luck! Hopefully your new town will be everything your old town was and more.

Isabelle and her pickiness kills me some time. Why are you asking me where I want to put something if you'll find some little problem all the time?

Isabelle is very picky but in some cases don't give up. Quite a few times now I have just repositioned myself very slightly and she's says it's OK.

Yes, right? x.x I've been in similiar situations... wanted to place my house in the top left corner next to the town plaza... too close! -Reset- I find the map layout again... and now there's a rock in that exact spot! -Reset-
So frustrating.
I'm sorry this happened to you aswell :<

However... I got so lucky with my current map layout. This time, I placed my house near the beach and next to the waterfall. No problems. Then I wanted to build a bridge right next to my house.... I didn't even think it would work, since my house is so close and the lake is like two steps away aswell... but. it. did! o_o
Same thing happened with my second bridge. I wanted to place it in the top right corner next to the other waterfall, where three villagers cramped the place at that time. ...I managed to find 1 spot where it worked. I danced. xD

Did you happen to post on the animal crossing subreddit about your problem because I read the exact same story only with pictures on the subreddit.

I know the feeling too. I started on release day and made my town then decided to restart a week later because for some random reason all villagers moving in decided to build their houses all around me leaving 70% of my town empty.
No that wasn't me. I've never used Reddit but you should show me! That sounds hilarious!

I hate rocks! They can completely ruin the landscaping of your town.
But they are useful for money and ores though.

Bridges are way too annoying. Even 8 blocks away from houses, sometimes it's still too close.
I had to let Hamsuke (my second favorite villager) go away just to have a second bridge. Any other places would have been totally useless I had to.

I feel your pain. The one aspect I mostly hate about this game is how villagers can literally move anywhere they want. They can even move onto your paths or into a garden bed you made.

I had a bridge issue today. I had a bridge demolished, went to put it back in and it was always too close to Vesta's house. It's 4 spaces away. There's a bridge 3 spaces behind my house. I don't understand it at all. I'm actually really frustrated because it's refusing to let me put a nearly identical project in the exact same spot there was one the day before. That bridge was there before Vesta moved in, so the game spawned her house that close to a bridge, but the game won't let me put a bridge back there? It's quite frustrating because my Re-tail isn't very close to the beach and it was the bridge I used to get there. I managed to find a decent place to put a third bridge but I had to redo quite a few paths and have two bridges within a pretty short distance. If my cafe hadn't been right there I could've gotten it in a better place, but yeah. Some of the mechanics for building placement in this game make absolutely no sense.

One time that happened to me! I wanted to build a bridge and I found a great spot. Isabelle said there was a rock on the other side of the river, so I went with a less appealing spot, though I didn't remember having a rock near a river.
Later, I hit the rock. It fell apart and inside was a gem...

I had the same problem with demolishing and re-building a bridge in my town. The original bridge in my town was near the waterfall, and I also built a character's house by the waterfall -- just one space away from the bridge, and it let me do that. I decided to demolish my original bridge and move it two spaces up, but Isabelle said it was too close to a resident's house, even though it used to be even closer to the house! I ended up having to build the bridge in a different place than I originally planned...

So be careful when demolishing and re-building bridges; you might not be able to get it in the spot you were hoping for. And it seems the game is less picky about building houses than it is about building bridges, so it's best to build the bridge first (if possible) and then build the house.

I find the rocks extremely annoying as well. I don't see why we can't "demolish" a rock or two. -_- There's one in my town that's in an especially bad place, where I was planning to put an elaborate garden of bushes and toparies. I'm considering starting up a new town just because of my rock issues, but I dunno, it's possible that pretty much every town will have some annoying rocks, so I should probably just try to work around the ones I have.

Apparently, I can put a bench close to a bridge but I can't put a bridge close to a bench.
(same places, different order) WTF Nintendo!?
I had to demolish the bench, build the bridge and then build the bench.

Last edited:
I have learned to get the bridges placed down first, or villagers houses will eventually ruin the bridging placement I want. It's happened far too many times.

after edit: I don't even know how I came across this thread, but I didn't realize it was so old. Don't stone me! /wanders off

Last edited:
I had the same problem with a rock. I saw the perfect spot, there was a rock just in front of it. I though "i can learn to deal with that." then i hit it with a rock and it demolishes. Great! c:

LOOOL I was legit just talking about this happening to me before;

Swurve: The ore rock was in a spot in one of the maps I was checking out that I wanted my house to go because

Swurve: yes

Swurve: but mine wouldn't let me place because it was in a little cove

Swurve: and i was like are you even serious

Back