• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Ever had a save file loss?

OMG, I was like so young when this happened. My sister got a hold of my mario tennis GBA game and thought my file was hers. We both used the female character for the game, so I guess I can kinda understand how she wiped my file instead of hers. It still makes me cringe to this day.

I had beaten the game finally on both single and doubles, even beating the mario challenge. All I had left was to get my characters to lvl 99 and complete the training room challenge modes, but the day I found out my file had been wiped I like started balling my eyes out lol. Took me a few years to ever go back to the game, but rest assured I completed everything again.

The only thing I can't seem to get is the golden racket... but my button mashing skills seem to be much worse than when I was younger, go figure. :p

Aside from careless errors like falling asleep and forgetting to save in Pokemon, the one game that comes to mind is Persona 3. For some reason the save data just up and walked away, so the progress I had been making (mind you I constantly forget the Golden RPG rule to always have two files minimum) was gone. :(

Oh and then the major one where my PS3 got the YLOD and Sony wiped the hard drive on it when I sent it in for repair. If you have PS+, there is literally no reason to never not upload your save data to the cloud because honestly I miss not having some of my saves for unfinished games. :(

My save file on the LOZ: Minish Cap was corrupted and had to start over, but my physical copy crapped out. All my work on MGS4 (i beat the game the other day) was lost due to a play station update, all the trophies from that one game

I lost about 20 levels in Morrowind because my home computer crashed and dad had to wipe the hard drive. I was furious because he didn't even try to retrieve any data before deleting it all.

My sister deleted my pokemon diamond data when when I was so close to getting that post-game Eevee. She wanted to try the game and didn't even ask before deleting my file. ?_?

My sister and I were trying for 100% completion of Lego Harry Potter years 1-4. We were at about 99.1%, we only had a few character studs left to get. There was a glitch that permanently prevented us from entering the Gryffindor common room, which was basically the only place left we needed to go. We couldn't complete it and we had to start over. We held a funeral for that game file.

Too many times to count! And in the NES/SNES/PSX days, those losses were brutal. I lost a Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy save file (and that game was damn HARD), a Dragon Warrior IV one, a Chrono Trigger one, a Secret of Mana one, a Breath of Fire II one (basically, a lot of RPG save files bit the dust for me back in the day). I think one of my worse losses was when my little brother accidentally deleted my FF7 file before I could beat the game (and I was really close to the end). The funny thing about it is that a couple Christmases ago, he bought me the game as a ten year late apology. Hahahaha.

Probably the one that hit me the hardest was just a couple years back. I was doing a Let's Play of EarthBound---my first LP ever. I was really excited about it, since that game is my childhood and probably my favorite ever. And about 3/4 of the way through the game and the LP, I had a save file corruption. I still haven't gotten the motivation back just yet to restart the entire LP from square one, but I did buy the game on WiiU virtual console, so I plan to redo it sometime. Maybe in the new year. But yeah, that kind of ruined my first experience with LPing. I stopped for a good year and a half+ before I tried a different game to LP.

My brother once accidentally deleted one of my saves on Lord of the Rings:The Two Towers for the GBA. I think I was really close to being fully levelled as well as having several of the unique weapons in the game. Having put more than a hundred hours into the save, I was very irritated and exasperated.

There was another game on Steam that I simply uninstalled that was Steamworks, assuming that the saves would be saved to the cloud and would simply transfer over when I installed it on my new PC. The files didn't upload however, so it meant I had to start right from the very beginning of the campaign, so I haven't bothered playing since then.

There was also Sonic Adventure 2:Battle on the Gamecube which every few weeks or couple of months would be completely wiped off the memory cards and I would have to start from the beginning all over again. I have no idea why it did it, but I know throughout the time of playing it I must've started the game from the very beginning at least 20 times. It was infuriating the once because I thought it'd finally stopped, it went several months without wiping, and I'd levelled up several Chao so that they were effective in boxing and the races, and then all of a sudden it just wiped... I went back to the Playstation 2 then...

My Mega Man Battle Network 3 White cartridge decided to delete its own save nearly a decade ago. I cried and cried at the time...

Only once on Mario Golf for the GBA, by the thing is I don't know if my sister just deleted it to be a jerk or it happened by itself, and that happened when I was 5 years old so ill never know.

I had a Crash Banditcoot game I use to play on the original Xbox
I 98%ed the whole game. went to use the bathroom
When I came back my older cousins completely deleted my save file
I lost about 100+ hours of game play
I was about 10ish? Ugh

You mean corrupted?
I had this DS game (Not 3DS or Wii U, just DS) called Cake Mania. I dropped it on my hardwood floor and it corrupted. I was halfway to being halfway done, but one of the levels I had to get through was really hard so I was really frustrated. Though I hardly understood the term back then. Anyway, I restarted, and got stuck on the difficult level again. Only recently picked it up again. Got through it no problem. Beat it in a week. It still lagged though.

Back