Disturbing moments in childern shows/movies? [Come at your own risk]

The episodes "The Cute Map" parts 1 and 2 of My Little Pony FiM is pretty dark. Really dark actually. The main characters find a really creepy village where everyone is the same, and it turns out they're basically a cult and their leader strips everyone of their individuality and preaches sameness and equality. It's very reminiscent of real-world totalitarian dictatorships. Here's a clip where the mane 6 ponies are held prisoner as the village leader, Starlight Glimmer, recites the village's philosophy in a really creepy monotone voice over a loudspeaker.

Invader Zim, more specifically "Bad, Bad Rubber Piggy" scared the **** out of me as a 4 year old XD
Ren and Stimpy also had some very disturbing episodes, such as "Stimpy's Invention," or the episode where Ren plucks out his own nerve endings from his teeth... Ah goooooooood times

I can't remember what it was called but Gravity Falls did a bunch of shorts that played like during commercials and there was this one that was this like... island monster thing and it was truly disturbing, I wish I knew what to look up to find the video to share but yeah, it was super creepy.

You wanna see disturbing? Have fun with your nightmares! This is from the episode "WhoBob Whatpants?".
maxresdefault.jpg

Alright, that one scene from Courage the Cowardly Dog with that blue alien thing that says "You're not perfect" seriously gave me a nightmare as a kid.

This used to freak me out really bad and give me nightmares when I was younger, but I still loved it. I was always a little horror junkie, still am.

THIS. I came in here just to say this guy.
I watched this show as a little kid because of my brothers, and when this guy showed up on screen like "retuuurn the slaaaab", I just didn't know what to do with myself.

Also, I really like Adventure Time, but sometimes they do some things in it that make me feel awkward about it being a little kids' show.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Mr. Meaty terrified me as a child.

latest

Oh my gosh. I forgot about this. Time to try forgetting about this again.

I am leaving this thread. ;0;

Don't think that I was ever truly disturbed by any cartoons I saw as a child, but Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, The Simpsons (if that also counts) and Courage The Cowardly Dog all had their share of "dark" moments and innuendoes, which might not have been very appropriate for children. Then again, that was the 1990s, a different time when kids weren't so sheltered and sensitive.

Last edited:
the ending of tom and jerry was sooo weird, i was well confused, because that is a kid's show and it was a bit much tbh 😅

also me and my brother watched all the original pokemon episodes online and that included the "banned" episodes, which we weren't aware of at the time
there was a bikini competition and idk what was worse, james entering or the fact ash's mum won

House Fancy and The Splinter from Spongebob Season 6 come to mind, and are a bit disturbing in my opinion.

Definitely gave me childhood trauma. I still feel super grossed out and disturbed. I only watched The Splinter ONCE and refused to watch it again because of how grossed out I was.
1612743632258.png
1612743760313.png

There was this movie called The Adventures of Lolo the Penguin (Lolo was called Scamper in the English version) and it was terrifying. It details the life of penguins and shows eggs being taken away to be eaten by birds of prey, chased by leopard seals and killer whales, kidnapped by poachers, and it shows Lolo’s father being shot towards the end of the movie. Forget Happy Feet, I was glad that I watched the milder English version.

House Fancy and The Splinter from Spongebob Season 6 come to mind, and are a bit disturbing in my opinion.

Definitely gave me childhood trauma. I still feel super grossed out and disturbed. I only watched The Splinter ONCE and refused to watch it again because of how grossed out I was.
i forgot about the splinter episode til now, that one is so gross 😅

oof i also just remembered that one spongebob episode when sandy was hibernating and spongebob & patrick went to her house
that episode was so creepy
Screenshot_20210208-003351.jpg

When I was very young I watched the Disney movie Tarzan and have never seen it again as I was so scared by the start of it. I was pretty naive watching the start of it where they build the treehouse and thought it would be a happy movie where they all learn to live in the jungle but nope, very quickly the poor parents are killed by a leopard. I found this seen very hard to watch and its why I have only ever seen the movie once, it actually came back to haunt me quite a few years later when I stumbled across the original version of this scene which was even worse.

Another film that scared me the first time I saw it was Scooby Doo: Monsters Unleashed, overall its not a scary film and I have watched it many times over the years but one of the monsters in particular (the electricity one for anyone who's seen the film) really creeped me out and I used to skip the part of the movie it appeared in.

I'm not sure this one fully counts as its not really scary just traumatic but I saw The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas at the cinema with my family as one of my brothers had asked to see it. I must've been 11 or 12 at the time so had learnt a bit about the war in school but we hadn't touched on the holocaust (I learned about that in school a few years later) and I had absolutely no idea what the film was about so I was really shocked by the ending, its one of the only films I've truly cried at and also one I've never seen again.

Finally I'll give a shout out to Goosebumps, even though I've never actually seen the TV show, because I was terrified of the books when I was younger - and to be completely honest I never read the books but we had the all lined up on some shelves and I was scared of the front covers 😂 I think the books belonged to my brothers which seems a little odd now as we had the original series (think it ran 1992-97) when my siblings and I would've been very young, a very odd choice for any bedtime stories.

Back