• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Beginning Photoshop: Tablet Sketching

Caius

De Profundis
Retired Staff
Bells
Yellow Tulip
White Tulip
Red Tulip
Winter Mittens
Orange Mote of Flame
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Waluigi Easter Egg
Green Fair Pinwheel
Rainbow Feather
Green Feather
Once you have all of your settings all done up right, you'll now need your tablet. As I said before, make sure it's plugged in before starting Photoshop and test your pen on a blank canvas first to make sure the pressure is working. DO NOT SLAM YOUR PEN INTO THE TABLET. You will need to get the feel for using a tablet before you start. You don't even have to touch it to have your cursor move across the screen, light pressure is what you need to sketch. Before that though, lets look at the pen and tablet.

Photoon2011-01-19at15142.jpg

No I'm not making Gang signs at you with my tablet.

Some people like to use the mouse, I don't personally. I never saw any need for it, but it helps for other programs like MAYA. The pen is really where the magic comes in.

Photoon2011-01-19at1547.jpg

You'll notice that on the top of the pen near the nib is a little bumper. You can press the top of this bumper down to automatically get to the brush size and hardness settings. You can ALSO set this to do whatever you want in your tablet settings after installing drivers. This makes drawing stupidly easy without having to constantly move through tools. On the back is your eraser. Simply flip the pen over while drawing and erase like you would for a pencil. You may need to tweek your eraser tool a little to get the best result, but yes it is still pressure sensitive.

Photoon2011-01-19at15484.jpg

The last notable part of your pen is the nibs. Some tablet pens come with different kind of nibs to simulate certain kinds of pens or tools. They also change pressure and act differently. You'll have to replace your nib about once a year, more or less depending on use. These aren't chew-toys, trust me. They're also fairly expensive so don't screw around too much with them. Your tablet will come with a nib removal tool so when it comes time to replace it you just pop it out and push another one in.

Now let's get onto using photoshop to draw. Open a new layer, and try to draw something simple. Vary your pressure to get better line weight. Like I said, play around a little. One of the notable things is you will not get very straight lines or very clean lines with a tablet. You may have to gesturally draw (Loose lines) and go back and erase until you're satisfied. For this.. I drew a pumpkin.

You're going to want to use drawing fundamentals here. Just like real life. Gestural lines, Value, and transitional effects such as Stippling (dotting) Crosshatching, and Hatching. These will make your image pop. Don't depend too heavily on photoshop.

Screenshot2011-01-19at35522PM.png

Like I said, just play with it a little and see what works best for you. If you need some help feel free to leave me a message or comment below. Don't forget to play with your opacity and flow at the top to get the most out of your work!

Yay, Thanks. I have one question though, How can you draw like as if you were to draw on a paper? Because normally when I draw, It kinda goes over the place like when I want to do the outline of the head.

Thanks again though

I never thought about using the buttons on my pen to adjust brush size, always used mine for the movement tool & right click, I'll have to set mine to do the brush size thingy, saves reaching across to the keyboard :p

Also, about replacing nibs, how do you know when you need to replace the nib on your pen? I always thought I'd have to but never knew when to know to get a new one.

Josh;bt392 said:
Yay, Thanks. I have one question though, How can you draw like as if you were to draw on a paper? Because normally when I draw, It kinda goes over the place like when I want to do the outline of the head.

Thanks again though

You probably have to get used to your tablet settings. You need to get a feel for where your pen is going and how fast it's going to get there. When you get used to the sensitivity, it makes it easier to do a quick sketch.

Jas0n;bt393 said:
I never thought about using the buttons on my pen to adjust brush size, always used mine for the movement tool & right click, I'll have to set mine to do the brush size thingy, saves reaching across to the keyboard :p

Also, about replacing nibs, how do you know when you need to replace the nib on your pen? I always thought I'd have to but never knew when to know to get a new one.

When you notice that it's grinding against the tablet surface instead of smoothly rolling across usually that's a dead cue. The other is the sensitivity changing.

Zr388;bt395 said:
When you notice that it's grinding against the tablet surface instead of smoothly rolling across usually that's a dead cue. The other is the sensitivity changing.

Surprised that mine's fine then, had it over a year and I use it really frequently :p

Jas0n;bt396 said:
Surprised that mine's fine then, had it over a year and I use it really frequently :p

When I say frequently I mean usually~ like... 10-12 hours every single day.

Zr388;bt394 said:
You probably have to get used to your tablet settings. You need to get a feel for where your pen is going and how fast it's going to get there. When you get used to the sensitivity, it makes it easier to do a quick sketch.
Ah cool thanks. Also just one more thing, I promise :p

Do you have any tips or such to drawing like portraits? Since you're always drawing them.

Zr388;bt397 said:
When I say frequently I mean usually~ like... 10-12 hours every single day.

Ah ok, definitely don't use mine that much. I'd say that's extreme use, not frequent XD

Josh;bt398 said:
Ah cool thanks. Also just one more thing, I promise :p

Do you have any tips or such to drawing like portraits? Since you're always drawing them.

With a portrait it really depends on if you're doing black and white or color. With black and white you'll want to really represent differences in the image with VALUE, which is a firm change from black to white, or varying shades of gray. You're also going to have to pay attention to light, and proportions, but that's with all portraits.

With color portraits, you want to know what you're going for first, whether it be a mood.. or what. Take a good look at a few established artists's works, you'll see that most of them use complimentary (Opposite on the color wheel) or Analougous color (colors that sit next to each other on the color wheel. These will really bring your character to life. If you'd prefer to stay with monochrome, which is just one color, than you'll want to make sure that all your proportions are good before moving on. With a tablet this means going over it and over it and over it on different layers until you're sure it looks just right.

Jas0n;bt399 said:
Ah ok, definitely don't use mine that much. I'd say that's extreme use, not frequent XD

Yeah you probably won't have to replace any nibs for a couple years haha

Zr388;bt400 said:
With a portrait it really depends on if you're doing black and white or color. With black and white you'll want to really represent differences in the image with VALUE, which is a firm change from black to white, or varying shades of gray. You're also going to have to pay attention to light, and proportions, but that's with all portraits.

With color portraits, you want to know what you're going for first, whether it be a mood.. or what. Take a good look at a few established artists's works, you'll see that most of them use complimentary (Opposite on the color wheel) or Analougous color (colors that sit next to each other on the color wheel. These will really bring your character to life. If you'd prefer to stay with monochrome, which is just one color, than you'll want to make sure that all your proportions are good before moving on. With a tablet this means going over it and over it and over it on different layers until you're sure it looks just right.
Thank you, Colouring and shading is one of my weaknesses, So I guess I'll be looking at other works for inspiration.

Josh;bt402 said:
Thank you, Colouring and shading is one of my weaknesses, So I guess I'll be looking at other works for inspiration.

You'll really have to, but don't forget to try something yourself if you find it interesting. The only way you get better is practice.

Zr388;bt400 said:

Layers are great and one of the best benefits of using a tablet over a piece of paper. You really should focus on using them to your best advantage.

Jas0n;bt404 said:
Layers are great and one of the best benefits of using a tablet over a piece of paper. You really should focus on using them to your best advantage.

It's actually easy to simulate layers with paper, it just requires a lightbox haha.

Back