• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Animal Crossing: New Horizon is not a console game!

why do threads always lead to this ;-;

Right now people are on edge. And our community is even more on edge because I'm sure many are stuffing a lot of their anxieties about the world and their lives into this game. So the high emotions are understandable, though regrettable. :)

Happy Wednesday, everyone! 2 more days to go!

I've always preferred playing Animal Crossing on console personally. Unpopular opinion but 10 villagers is more than enough for me. In New Leaf my town felt crowded once I hit 10 villagers. I'd love the option to have less villagers and more of course for those who would like more. It would be nice to be able to set a villager limit at town hall.

There seems to be more and more infighting the closer we get to release :(
Even if you're upset or feeling down, it's pretty easy to not to be rude to people on the internet.

That's not exactly what they meant be that. They meant that you shouldn't let a character programmed to insult you keep you down. The problem is that people really want to escape from that kind of negativity and don't want it in their cute animal game

Oh no. I knew exactly what he meant. I just think that is an unfair statement because the same thing can be easily said about other forms of media. "Don't let a video game character get you down" is the same thing as "don't be sad because that movie had a sad ending" or "no need to be angry because that book character is a racist".

I feel like, the OP left, and that conversation is done. We are trailing off on other subjects and.. It's just unnecessary and making everyone upset going on about more and more things. It's like now, we're just looking for reasons to be upset and pick fights. I think this thread should close tbh, lol

The Switch being part home console/part portable console certainly does cause it to lose certain things on each end because it's not fully one thing or the other. (For the record though I feel it's a portable console that can be switched to a home console)

But just the opposite is true as well. Before the switch came along there were a lot of experiences we couldn't take on the road. Now we can.

Ah well, my point here is that maybe we are losing a little something in terms of what AC could be by having an underpowered "home" console to play it on but I really don't think that's the case here.

AC game depth isn't about map size. It's about what the game offers to keep you busy in terms of gameplay. Now while I too would LOVE to play an AC game that takes place in some huge overworld just for the experince, I can't sit here and say I know that it wouldn't hamper the AC gaming experince as we know it.

Part of what makes AC work as well as it does is the enclosed environment both of the island/town and your house. What one can do within these small physical parameters is what makes the game click.

And it's by that standard I will judge the "depth" of this new game. Not by it's map size.

Oh and for the record, as a retro gamer, it is not hard at all to get a GameCube up and running if you want to play classic AC. Firstly, you dont even need a cube. A Wii will work. Secondly, the yellow/white/red inputs are still available on many new tvs. I also recently found some really good third party cube controllers that play just like the official ones and I'd be happy to link anyone to them if they so want.

This. Why is this a discussion? Something can be both. The world is evolving.

Because people just want reasons to complain and not be satisfied with a game we waited 8 yrs for : )
Like god forbid we not have one specific furniture item or get 200 more villagers. Its NOT GOOD ENOUGH NINTENDO

Because people just want reasons to complain and not be satisfied with a game we waited 8 yrs for : )
Like god forbid we not have one specific furniture item or get 200 more villagers. Its NOT GOOD ENOUGH NINTENDO

Hmm... so somehow op being disappointed about a few things they personally wish were possible in this game (which they have stated have been wishes of theirs for years) is an affront to the community who has waited 8 years? Perhaps op has also waited 8 years : )

In my opinion I think the game will be great either way. I’m excited to play it docked and to see it in high def on the big screen but I’ll be playing handheld the majority of the time just for ease. I don’t think it’s fair to make assumptions without actually playing the game and although you are entitled to your opinion I think there is a lot to keep us occupied for the years ahead. I don’t feel like there’s such a push for online membership and I know for sure I’ll enjoy playing it on my own just as much as I will with my friends. The first in game day the airport isn’t even open.

Hmm... so somehow op being disappointed about a few things they personally wish were possible in this game (which they have stated have been wishes of theirs for years) is an affront to the community who has waited 8 years? Perhaps op has also waited 8 years : )

I'm just annoyed by all of the negative threads nick picking every single detail.
Like it's perfectly fine to be critical of ANY game but. Only having 10 villagers doesnt make it less of a console game. Nintendo has given the animal crossing series a HUGE upgrade with customization but the majority of threads have been about speculation of negative attributes.
10 villagers vs 12 doesnt make it any less of a console game and the addition for 4 extra player characters adds more characters to the game. You dont need other people to play with to make 8 characters on your switch that you can literally do anything with.

I'm not a troll, I been here for 4 years hence my note at the beginning of my post. I even played New Leaf with a few members on here and sold several villagers as well.

I'm not talking about content, I'm talking about map size and animal villagers size. Those things will never be in any update. There is no update where the patch read "increase animal villagers numbers" or "increase map size". It simply won't happen.

Why not? Its 2020...have you seen what games like No Man's Sky have done with updates? They've completely changed the game.

What makes you adamant that this is not possible at all?

Nintendo is clearly adapting to player feedback, based on the "no cloud saves at all" to "we are evaluating a cloud save solution and will implement this year".

I'm disappointed in a lot of these replies tbh. It seems to me that a lot of people dislike when someone else has an opposite opinion/outlook on something. I think we can all agree that there is something in the game we would change if we had the option too. It's okay to not like the game based off of what we've seen, and it's okay to state that you don't like it. It's not okay to belittle someone that has the opposite view as you. Everyone can have an opinion and I think that instead of trying to prove that they are wrong, we can have civil discussions about what we think could've been done better. Wording is everything here, make sure that what you're saying is understandable and not aggressive. Remember that Animal Crossing is a game for everyone to enjoy and this community should reflect that. :)

I'm just annoyed by all of the negative threads nick picking every single detail.
Like it's perfectly fine to be critical of ANY game but. Only having 10 villagers doesnt make it less of a console game. Nintendo has given the animal crossing series a HUGE upgrade with customization but the majority of threads have been about speculation of negative attributes.
10 villagers vs 12 doesnt make it any less of a console game and the addition for 4 extra player characters adds more characters to the game. You dont need other people to play with to make 8 characters on your switch that you can literally do anything with.

I don’t think most people making these threads mean to upset anyone. They simply wish to express their individual feelings about the game. I admit op’s title is suspect but it seems they were not trying to cause a stir. In their own opinion they simply feel that without those specific attributes in their opinion New Horizons does not equate to a console game. Perhaps they could have expressed their opinion in a better way but that does not excuse some of the way people are behaving right now. People are free to disagree but to start accusing them and other “negative” people of being a “nit picker” is kinda unfair. There are many positive threads on the forum as well. Why not let these “negative Nancy’s” be negative without harsh judgement from the community. They have a right to voice their opinions as well.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed in a lot of these replies tbh. It seems to me that a lot of people dislike when someone else has an opposite opinion/outlook on something. I think we can all agree that there is something in the game we would change if we had the option too. It's okay to not like the game based off of what we've seen, and it's okay to state that you don't like it. It's not okay to belittle someone that has the opposite view as you. Everyone can have an opinion and I think that instead of trying to prove that they are wrong, we can have civil discussions about what we think could've been done better. Wording is everything here, make sure that what you're saying is understandable and not aggressive. Remember that Animal Crossing is a game for everyone to enjoy and this community should reflect that. :)

It’s kinda premature to start discussing what can be done better when most of us haven’t even played the game. There definitely will be a time to discuss that, every game has something that we wish could be improved on but it’s more logical to wait until we have actually tested and tried it before rushing to a decision. I think at the end of the day developers would appreciate that type of meaningful feedback and constructive criticism, you can see that ACNH did take into account many of those criticism from past games such as deciding where to place villagers homes etc.
This thread is not meaningful feedback. It’s just venting and panic.

Oh no. I knew exactly what he meant.

Apparently you don't. I am sorry I failed to portray what I wanted to say, and offended you in the process. That wasn't my intention.

I had even ended my post with the tongue emoji, which means it was a joke.

Last edited:
Back